The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

Just a quick question about predicted grades at A-level.

I got an A on my ICT coursework, and then a B on the exam, resulting in me getting 2 B's overall.

My predicted grade is a Merit, but my mate who got basically the same as me has been predicted as a Distinction, I got told a Merit is a C so it's ok for me if I get that and there is always room for me to do better and get a distinction but my mate has a lot to put in to meet his target.

Is it better to be predicted with a lower grade?

Because you can always do better...
Reply 1
Not really, as the predicted grade is a measure/assesment of your ability, so a lower predicted grade means they do not rate your intelligance as highly as somebody.
I thought the Distinction/Merit/Pass system only applied to GNVQs and that a Merit was equivalent to a B? :confused: Anyway, at a lower level, it doesn't really matter if you get predicted low grades as long as you still aim for the best you can get because then you can exceed your predictions and look good, whereas being predicted high grades is more pressure and might make you complacent. However, at A-level when you rely on your predicted grades to get university offers, higher predictions are obviously better.
:ditto: It has little bearing lower down, just may lower your confidence, or make you stive further on the flipside. Don't worry, and just concentrate on getting the best grade possible! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending