The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge with 3 A*s at GCSE?

I don't actually have to apply until next year, but I've always been really set on the idea of going to Cambridge (specifically Christ's college) to study their Human, Social and Political Sciences course or the Theology course. Our head of sixth form was advising us the other day that most people who apply to oxbridge have at least 6 A*s at GCSE, so now I'm not so sure I should bother applying. I did go to an open day at the college a while back and they said that some people have got places with very few A*s, some even with only one, but I'm still doubtful. If you only have a few stars at GCSE, would you basically have to have straight As at AS level for them to consider you?
If you do really well in your AS levels - i.e. straight As - and therefore get good predicted grades, ensure your personal statement is on top form, then I personally think it's still worth applying. Some people won't and will tell you otherwise, but Cambridge do give out more interviews than Oxford so you have more of a chance of success. Don't give up on it yet and do as best as you can for AS.
My friend got into Cambridge with just 2A*s (I'm sure there are people who get in with none) although a strong GCSE profile definitely would hurt... It's definitely possible. Oxford place a much higher emphasis on number of A*/As at GCSEs. However Cambridge like to take your UMS (or percentage) per unit into account and get an average of all of them compiled. So just focus on doing really well in your units and there's no reason why you shouldn't apply!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest