The Student Room Group

Unrequited Love

So I have quite a unique situation here.

A year and a half ago, a girl I hadn't spoken to since freshman year of college had a class with me. We started hanging out some and I decided I liked her. She and I had been going out to dinner, etc, and I eventually said I wanted to be more than just a friend, and was declined.

I started to pull away, and then didn't end up doing so. Since then, she and I have become best friends, I trust her above just about anyone, and she has changed my life. But I have also realized my feelings are far more than just liking her. I love this girl, would do anything for her, and would marry her if I could.

But 3 times, she has told me she only sees me platonically. In addition, she has a boyfriend and we sort of hate each other. He has said things to her and treated her in a way I find completely unacceptable-- even if I only viewed her as a friend, I wouldn't want her dating this guy. And she has said to me several times how stupid, weak, etc she is for continuing with him and that she will end things, only to do nothing, and it is just disheartening that the person I want to help the most and that I never want to see hurt, I am powerless with.

Since last telling me she doesn't see me that way, she has started using hypotheticals a few times: 'if we were dating...'
Finally, she is international and is returning home to Europe, for somewhere from 3-8 months (she just graduated).

I feel awful-- like I am being destroyed inside out. I can't believe she is gone. And somehow, I either can't or won't stop loving her. As she said, 'You love me too much.'
You will get over it
Original post by anon2mous

A year and a half ago, a girl I hadn't spoken to since freshman year of college had a class with me. We started hanging out some and I decided I liked her. She and I had been going out to dinner, etc, and I eventually said I wanted to be more than just a friend, and was declined.

I started to pull away, and then didn't end up doing so. Since then, she and I have become best friends, I trust her above just about anyone, and she has changed my life. But I have also realized my feelings are far more than just liking her. I love this girl, would do anything for her, and would marry her if I could.

But 3 times, she has told me she only sees me platonically. In addition, she has a boyfriend and we sort of hate each other. He has said things to her and treated her in a way I find completely unacceptable-- even if I only viewed her as a friend, I wouldn't want her dating this guy. And she has said to me several times how stupid, weak, etc she is for continuing with him and that she will end things, only to do nothing, and it is just disheartening that the person I want to help the most and that I never want to see hurt, I am powerless with.

Since last telling me she doesn't see me that way, she has started using hypotheticals a few times: 'if we were dating...'
Finally, she is international and is returning home to Europe, for somewhere from 3-8 months (she just graduated).

I feel awful-- like I am being destroyed inside out. I can't believe she is gone. And somehow, I either can't or won't stop loving her. As she said, 'You love me too much.'

Ahhhh this sounds so hard for you :frown:
It might be good that she has gone back home for a while as it will give time for your feelings towards her to cool off a bit, coming from a female perspective if she has said she only sees you platonically then you need to make sure to preserve the friendship, be sure to try and skype her often whilst she is away and keep the contact going. Girls often go for the wrong guy so I can see why you are frustrated having to watch this but as she knows of your feelings for her I expect your opinion would seem like interfering, give it time and the friendship could turn around or you might meet someone you like that feels the same way about you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Queen Cersei
Ahhhh this sounds so hard for you :frown:
It might be good that she has gone back home for a while as it will give time for your feelings towards her to cool off a bit, coming from a female perspective if she has said she only sees you platonically then you need to make sure to preserve the friendship, be sure to try and skype her often whilst she is away and keep the contact going. Girls often go for the wrong guy so I can see why you are frustrated having to watch this but as she knows of your feelings for her I expect your opinion would seem like interfering, give it time and the friendship could turn around or you might meet someone you like that feels the same way about you :smile:

Yeah, even though I hate that she is gone, it might be fore the best that we get a little distance. It's just hard having the person you spend the most time with gone just like that. She also lived right across the hall from me, so it's going to be weird not having her there anymore. And on top of that, I have lost my closest friend other than her. He doesn't like her because he knows what this has done to me and basically gave me an ultimatum between him and her and it wasn't even close-- I chose her. Even though she is gone, he won't let up because, metaphorically, "she will still be sitting at the table with us."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anon2mous

Aww don't worry! One day she'll realize that you're the one for her! Trust me! Only time can tell when though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending