The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Level Subjects

Hey Guys,
I am currently a year 11 student and I am going to choose my options for my 6th form very soon. I want to do medicine so can u please help me or give me some ideas, which subjects should I chose
Also I am confuse between maths and physics. I enjoy both of them and prefer both of them equally.
Help me please and thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fallen99
Hey Guys,
I am currently a year 11 student and I am going to choose my options for my 6th form very soon. I want to do medicine so can u please help me or give me some ideas, which subjects should I chose
Also I am confuse between maths and physics. I enjoy both of them and prefer both of them equally.

There's plenty of information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

I'd say it's best to take Chemistry and Biology and two other subjects. Either Maths or Physics would be fine (or both).
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey Guys,

Bio & chem are absolutely necessary.
Maths is very useful, and it's better to have it than not, if you think you can cope. (If you're very talented, consider taking FM).
You might want to mix it up slightly, say, take English, History, Geography or something similar.

It's worth noting that none of us know you personally, so take a look at the "informed choices" document created by the RG to help students pick their A levels.
Reply 3
Hey Guys,

for medicine i would take maths and three sciences or maths and two sciences and something like psychology or geography :smile:
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Maths is very useful, and it's better to have it than not, if you think you can cope. (If you're very talented, consider taking FM).
You might want to mix it up slightly, say, take English, History, Geography or something similar.

Why would having Maths be better? :curious: And taking Further Maths is not a good idea (unless it's as a 5th) for Medicine - not all Medical Schools accept Maths + Further Maths as separate subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by H0PEL3SS

It's worth noting that none of us know you personally, so take a look at the "informed choices" document created by the RG to help students pick their A levels.

By FM do u mean Further Maths? and is Physics more hard or maths?
I am completely sure about taking chemistry and biology, 1 from either maths or physics but still unsure about my 4th option
Reply 6
Original post by usycool1
There's plenty of information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

I'd say it's best to take Chemistry and Biology and two other subjects. Either Maths or Physics would be fine (or both).

Thanks the link is very helpful :smile:
Thanks the link is very helpful :smile:

I suggest you take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics!!!!:colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by taylortron99
I suggest you take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics!!!!:colondollar:

Wow perfect :biggrin: thanks I was also thinking the same thing but it really depends on my results my mock results r going to be out this Friday so hopefully it will give me an idea of what I am capable of doing and see if I hve made correct choices :smile:
Wow perfect :biggrin: thanks I was also thinking the same thing but it really depends on my results my mock results r going to be out this Friday so hopefully it will give me an idea of what I am capable of doing and see if I hve made correct choices :smile:

Well, good luck!! :biggrin:Just remember mock results are not as important as the real one! You have time to ace those grades!! Picking three science subjects are very brave and open up lots of opportunities for you!!!:colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by taylortron99
Well, good luck!! :biggrin:Just remember mock results are not as important as the real one! You have time to ace those grades!! Picking three science subjects are very brave and open up lots of opportunities for you!!!:colondollar:

Thanks for the encouragement and picking 3 sciences is a brave and a hard choice but I am very determined to become a doctor :colondollar:
Reply 11
Thanks for the encouragement and picking 3 sciences is a brave and a hard choice but I am very determined to become a doctor :colondollar:

Picking three sciences (or two sciences and Maths) isn't going to give you any higher chances of becoming a doctor, unless Cambridge is one of your choices. So please don't start making that erroneous connection.

Do Chemistry, Biology and two other subjects you enjoy and are good at. Maths and/or Physics are not preferable to any other subject in this regard (with the exception of some very 'soft' subjects like Media Studies etc).
Reply 12
Original post by Ronove
Picking three sciences (or two sciences and Maths) isn't going to give you any higher chances of becoming a doctor, unless Cambridge is one of your choices. So please don't start making that erroneous connection.

Do Chemistry, Biology and two other subjects you enjoy and are good at. Maths and/or Physics are not preferable to any other subject in this regard (with the exception of some very 'soft' subjects like Media Studies etc).

Well I love and always enjoy science and maths I am not very keen about media studies or humanities also there is a higher chance of doing well in subjects u enjoy :smile: thanks for ur opinion though
Reply 13
Well I love and always enjoy science and maths I am not very keen about media studies or humanities also there is a higher chance of doing well in subjects u enjoy :smile: thanks for ur opinion though

Your response doesn't really read like you understood my post.
Reply 14
Original post by Ronove
Your response doesn't really read like you understood my post.

Yeah I did that is y I am saying I would like to do all 3 sciences and maths
did u mean something else?
3 sciences + maths or go home
Reply 16
Original post by confusedbrit
3 sciences + maths or go home

go home??
go home??

yes
Hey Guys,

Biology and chemistry are a must.
Maths would be beneficial.
For your 4th subject id do something like english literature, history, geography or a language.
Reply 19
Original post by confusedbrit
yes

as if now I am living on street :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending