The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Park Wood Houses question

I am considering applying to the Park Wood houses at Kent but their distance is putting me off. I don't mind the walking, I just wanted to know how safe the walk is and how long it actually takes to get to the other side of the campus. Thanks to anyone who can help :smile:
Original post by megan3782
I am considering applying to the Park Wood houses at Kent but their distance is putting me off. I don't mind the walking, I just wanted to know how safe the walk is and how long it actually takes to get to the other side of the campus. Thanks to anyone who can help :smile:

It all depends how quickly you walk of courseand whereabouts in Parkwood you'll be staying. Woody's bar is a traditional starting point for where Parkwood starts - the further you live from there add a minute or few to the general guidelines. In general though it's going to be around a five minute walk or so from Parkwood houses to the science blocks/gym and then an extra couple of minutes or so to get to, say, the back of the library.

The longest walk on campus is (arguably, now that Turing has been built) from the top of Darwin to the Parkwood flats. I'd probably set aside fifteen-twenty minutes to do that :dontknow: Regardless, it's really not as far as everyone makes out - when you visit a new place, everything always seems bigger and for the first week or so it'll seem like a mammoth walk but the more you get used to it, it really won't be an issue. :yy:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
I will be honest. This year, we had three attacks along the Parkwood walk.

There have been petitions for CCTV to be placed there, alongside Campus Watch WILL walk anyone home who requests it (from the bus stop, nightclub on campus, etc). Always walk home in groups (if after 10PM), other than that, it's very safe (I walk it everyday, 7AM and 6PM).
Original post by harrykirkby
I will be honest. This year, we had three attacks along the Parkwood walk.

There have been petitions for CCTV to be placed there, alongside Campus Watch WILL walk anyone home who requests it (from the bus stop, nightclub on campus, etc). Always walk home in groups (if after 10PM), other than that, it's very safe (I walk it everyday, 7AM and 6PM).

Ah yeah, I forgot to address this part of the OP.

It's true that there have been safety fears this year of that path but those are rare events. This year has been exception though, after all in the previous three years there was around one or two reports of note down that path. In general though, it simply is a very safe campus but it is worth noting that the campus is large and accessible to the public so as you would be anywhere, remain vigilant. :yy:
Reply 4
Thanks for taking the time to answer and your honesty. I suppose there will be crime anywhere and it could be a lot worse :smile:
You are right. I've read and seen worse online. I can only hope UKC invest in that pathway more in the near future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending