The Student Room Group

I don't know what subjects should I choose

I'm currently studying IGCSE in transition to the IBDP. My current subjects are Chinese, English, SL Math, Economics, Biology and chemistry.
My school is opening up a French/Spanish SL ab initio course next year, I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I should do that.
My Chinese is not bad, according to my teachers I have high capability to get 6 or 7s, but I'm very interested in French/Spanish and I think I'm not bad at learning languages.
I am capable of doing English A HL or English B HL.
I'm torn and don't know what to do.
Hello asl137,

It's about what you like. As you have stated, you have done Chinese the longest with a high capability level according to your teachers, I suggest you stay with Chinese just to stay on the safe side. Learning a new language takes time therefore if you take French/Spanish then you might score a significantly lower level than Chinese.

On the other hand, if you dislike Chinese and you are extremely interested in French/Spanish then Ok, I would take French/Spanish. It's all about what you like. My tactic is studying topics that I am really strong at. I have been through this phase myself.
Reply 2
Original post by shayan_doust
Hello asl137,

It's about what you like. As you have stated, you have done Chinese the longest with a high capability level according to your teachers, I suggest you stay with Chinese just to stay on the safe side. Learning a new language takes time therefore if you take French/Spanish then you might score a significantly lower level than Chinese.

On the other hand, if you dislike Chinese and you are extremely interested in French/Spanish then Ok, I would take French/Spanish. It's all about what you like. My tactic is studying topics that I am really strong at. I have been through this phase myself.

Thanks for the advise.
The thing is I'm still uncertain of my ability to score high levels in Chinese. Whereas an ab initio course sounds like a fresh start. I've spoke to few teachers but the advises are diverse.
Any suggestion to where I can get a better second opinion?

Quick Reply

Latest