The Student Room Group

This may sound really sad, but do you have a favorite exam board?

Scroll to see replies

Edexcel is by far my favourite : )
Edexcel. Haven't know anything else really.
I seem to perform better in Edexcel exams although that is probably more down to the subject. I've always found OCR tricky...which is probably a good thing in terms of a qualification
AQA was my favourite. All my best results at GCSE and A-Level were with them. :tongue:

Edexcel is easily my least favourite, so it pains me to see them leading the poll. :unimpressed:
AQA for sure!!
I just know I hate OCR with a passion.
WJEC, I've never got below an A in any of their exams (although I've only ever taken their French and Spanish exams and they're my best subjects, so maybe that's why!)... :biggrin:

I used to like AQA at GCSE (I usually did better than I expected, particularly with the sciences) but now at A Level I've realised that I don't. Their markers for English Literature are particularly inconsistent because they all seem to look for slightly different things. I always feel so nervous about the exams and I'm not looking forward to the ones I have in summer... Sometimes inconsistency of the markers can work in your favour if you get a really generous one who gives high marks (and because the boundaries are quite low, even a tiny bit of generosity from the marker can result in really high UMS marks when they're converted), but if the examiner's feeling horrible it can ruin everything :frown:
Reply 67
Increasingly disliking AQA more and more. Half my A-Level subjects are with them and I must say that their textbooks really get on my nerves because of how useless they are at telling me anything. Their exams are frustrating too, with sometimes dodgy and vague markschemes.

I've always understood edexcel markschemes and they are more obvious with what they want you to do in their questions :biggrin:

Haven't really done much with OCR except languages and I did well with them so I can't fault them...
Prefer Edexcel the best. Hate AQA and their markschemes...
I've only ever used AQA, Edexcel and OCR however, so not sure on the other
Reply 69
I like OCR the best, WJEC is awful, it just seems a bit sketchy and not as well thought out as the exam boards:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
NEAB because I'm a hipster
AQA all the way!!!!
Good old AQA are the best in my opinion, hate EdexHELL.

OCR are alright, WJEC are really inconsistent with marking which frustrates me. Can't comment on the others. :smile:
CIE have quite a few disadvantages compared to the other boards, but I've never taken a different board :/
Original post by Raymat
The proportion of A*s, As, Bs, Cs...etc will never change because the exams are standardised. One thing that has changed is that exams have become easier than compared to past exams. I've seen old exam papers and they were quite harder. Easier exams only means students are getting dumbed down. The increase of A*/A/B grades is because more people are doing GCSE and GCE A level so that's why it feels like people are getting smarter. The proportion of grades achieved hasn't changed and people are actually getting dumber.

In 2012 and 2013 there was actually a decrease in the percentage of A* grades awarded - the lowest it's been since that grade was introduced. Source: http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
WJEC... Hands down, the worst exam board
Original post by TajwarC
NEAB because I'm a hipster

Never even heard of that one 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Worst Board for GCSE: Edexcel
Best Board for GCSE: AQA

Best Board for AS/A2: Edexcel
Worst Board for AS/A2: AQA

The irony :tongue:

Edit: Oops I've posted twice here haha, stupid bumpers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Edexcel because they give me multiple choice on Biology and Chemistry AS level exams.
CIE was awful for GCSE... *shudder*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending