The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by icecreamcake
I want to study Economics at LSE! :smile:

I got 9A*s 1A at GCSE. A* in Maths A Level this year (our school makes us do Maths A Level in year 12 if you want to do Further Maths). I also got As in Biology and Economics AS. I'm planning to do A Levels in Biology, Economics and Further Maths next year (as well as an EPQ).

Good luck to us all! Give me a shout if you want to do Economics too!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, how were your UMS in AS biology and econ?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 181
Original post by MrBowcat
LSE Bsc Economics fresher 2015/16. Ask me anything.

Any advice for personal statement? I heard that's one of the most important things for LSE

Something you know now that you wish you knew when you were applying:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
Hey, how were your UMS in AS biology and econ?

I got 90ums in Biology and 93ums in econ :smile:

Why are you asking? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guessing you're a deferred student then? Can we know your stats please (grades, subjects, ums etc)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coolguy123456
If you were to fill in the fields on the LSE stalking page, what would your stats be? (a-level choices, GCSE's, AS grades + ums, extras etc)

Also, were you asked to give your UMS marks in when you applied for your course?

AP

Maths, Economics, Geography, Further Maths. AS: AAAA EPQ A* A2 Predicted: A*A*A*A*
AS UMS was 90+ for all 4 subjects (bar 2 further maths modules)
GCSE: 11A* 1A (FSMQ)
Work Experience at a small law firm, Barclays and Goldman Sachs.
A2 achieved: A*A*A*A

Yes, I was asked for my UMS scores for each individual maths module that I had taken and the overall UMS scores for my other 2 A Levels.

Guessing you're a deferred student then? Can we know your stats please (grades, subjects, ums etc)?Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, just finished year 13, moving in to LSE in 4 weeks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by h3110
Any advice for personal statement? I heard that's one of the most important things for LSE

The Personal Statement is VERY important, make sure you include what books you have read but make sure you analyse them, don't just mention them, offer your own opinions on ideas and concepts covered in the book. Explain what new skills etc you learnt from your work experiences.
Original post by econam
Something you know now that you wish you knew when you were applying:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They request your UMS scores for the most popular courses such as Bsc Economics, and the personal statement is very very important.
They would prefer to see 90+ in your core Maths modules, the others don't matter as much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths, Economics, Geography, Further Maths. AS: AAAA EPQ A* A2 Predicted: A*A*A*A*
AS UMS was 90+ for all 4 subjects (bar 2 further maths modules)
GCSE: 11A* 1A (FSMQ)
Work Experience at a small law firm, Barclays and Goldman Sachs.
A2 achieved: A*A*A*A

Yes, I was asked for my UMS scores for each individual maths module that I had taken and the overall UMS scores for my other 2 A Levels.

Nope, just finished year 13, moving in to LSE in 4 weeks.

Did you apply to Cambridge as well then? Which other universities did you apply to and did you get any other offers other than from LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They request your UMS scores for the most popular courses such as Bsc Economics, and the personal statement is very very important.
They would prefer to see 90+ in your core Maths modules, the others don't matter as much.

I got an A* in Maths overall this year but I did badly in my C4 - how much would that matter? (My C3 basically saved my mark and made it an A*)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Personal Statement is VERY important, make sure you include what books you have read but make sure you analyse them, don't just mention them, offer your own opinions on ideas and concepts covered in the book. Explain what new skills etc you learnt from your work experiences.

Which books did you read/put in your personal statement? And any general econ book recommendations? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A* in Maths overall this year but I did badly in my C4 - how much would that matter? (My C3 basically saved my mark and made it an A*)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got the A*, I it shouldn't make any difference. Your C4 is at least 80 which is fine. I got an offer with an early A* and 488 UMS overall lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

How bad was your C4 mark?
If you got an A* a year early, then I doubt it would matter much at all, its actually quite impressive. However, if you got say, below a B, I'd consider retaking it as on the UMS questionnaire that LSE send you, you are asked whether you are retaking any particular module.
Did you apply to Cambridge as well then? Which other universities did you apply to and did you get any other offers other than from LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to, and received offers from Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.
Which books did you read/put in your personal statement? And any general econ book recommendations? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I included a few on game theory and 'End this Depression Now' by Paul Krugman. Any book bar freakonomics is a good start.

I'd love to know what proportion of your PS you dedicated to further reading and stuff like that. And what kind of detail did you go into for further reading?

Thanks!
Original post by KrittikaIndia
I'd love to know what proportion of your PS you dedicated to further reading and stuff like that. And what kind of detail did you go into for further reading?

Thanks!

The vast majority of my PS was about my EPQ which I had done on Game Theory and any further reading I had done, both of which I went into quite some detail. I related some of the themes in my further reading to concepts I had come across during my work experience. I included exactly 1 line and a half about other extra curricular activities.
I applied to, and received offers from Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.

What made you chose LSE over Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Johnpeters
You got the A*, I it shouldn't make any difference. Your C4 is at least 80 which is fine. I got an offer with an early A* and 488 UMS overall lol

Wow congrats on the offer! Which university and course is it for?
How bad was your C4 mark?
If you got an A* a year early, then I doubt it would matter much at all, its actually quite impressive. However, if you got say, below a B, I'd consider retaking it as on the UMS questionnaire that LSE send you, you are asked whether you are retaking any particular module.

I got 82...

And ok, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending