The Student Room Group

Would an apprenticeship in finance/accountancy benefit me?

Hi

I dropped out of university last year and really need to get my life back on track. I am very unsure what to pursue as a career but for some reason I'm drawn towards an apprenticeship in this area. I feel like if I were to get some work experience / qualifications behind me it would hold me in good stead for the future?

Ive got a strong desire to go and do some travelling but it doesn't sit well with me doing so with me work experience / cv as it is. If I were to get some work experience from an apprenticeship and then go off travelling, would I find myself in the same sort of situation when I got back? Or would the fact id done an apprenticeship actually benefit me?

Its either this or return to uni to have another crack at a degree. any suggestions / help would be appreciated.
There's lots of ways to get into accountancy; apprenticeships being a common way. But it's either one or the other I.e a degree or an apprenticeship. Doing an apprenticeship after a degree will be like going back on yourself, and most companies that offer apprenticeships will list you as over qualified.

Its really up to you, but if I was in your situation I would go with an apprenticeship, because employers may question the fact that you dropped out a different degree at uni.
Also apprenticeships are paid (all though low), a great way to build experience and have very good prospects for future development.
My cousin completed an apprenticeship (no degree) whilst working in practice and doing the AAT and is now completing his CIMA to become an Accounts Manager! (Good money!)

And answering your question with regard to your travel, it really depends how long you are going to travel for and why. Just make sure you can talk about it in a positive way and you have some sort of security before travelling.
But of course, the decision is all yours to make. Just remain very perseverant and I'm sure you will go far in life.
Hope that helps, and good luck!!! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Hello,

There are many ways to get into different careers. However, I do believe apprenticeships are a very good way of doing so.

There are people who look down on apprenticeships, as they aren't the usual A-level / University route. However, if an employer were to look at someone with experience- this goes a long way. Even without the academic qualifications! Apprenticeships can also lead you back into University, if you wish to do so.

I completed an apprenticeship in science after my GCSE's. I feel as if I have really benefited from doing this as opposed to the usual A-level to Uni route. After the 2 years in my apprenticeship, I was offered a full time job along with a paid degree. I now study an undergraduate degree part time, all fees paid for by my employer, whilst receiving a full time wage.

Doing an apprenticeship will look good on your CV as you have experience- which is key! University is not for everyone.

Another advantage of having an apprenticeship is that it can give you a taste for the job. You get to experience different things and this could point you in the direction of something which you really want to do.

With regards to travelling, in a job you will be able to save. You need savings to travel! You could even do some volunteering / work whilst you are travelling. This would look good on your CV too. Although I am in full time employment, I am using my holidays in the summer to travel Europe. So if you were to get an apprenticeship and a job from this, there is nothing stopping you.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending