The Student Room Group

Advice wanted: Second year results

--
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If you can get two academic referees to predict you the necessary overall grade and give you good references, you're in with as much of a chance as anyone else.

Generally, the focus is usually on your overall result. Individual modules would only be of interest if they directly related to your Masters subject and maybe not even then.

Go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Stacey13
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm in my second year, planning to apply for an MSc at the start of next year, and have done a fair chunk of my exams already. I was just wondering how closely each individual unit will be looked at when my application is being looked at, as I have a rather odd set of results. I have a third, a 2:2 and two firsts (both around 85%) so far, which is very odd.

The two units I haven't done so well in are the two I found hardest by far, so I'm not anticipating lower grades for the other half of my exams. The unit I received a third in isn't particularly relevant to my area of interest, and the unit I received a 2:2 in is somewhat, but the units I received firsts in are much more relevant. My average is still firmly within the requisite entry requirements, but with MScs often being competitive, I'm wondering if the other two results will really let my application down. If anyone has any anecdotes relating to my situation that may make me feel a little better.

Though I don't have any overwhelmingly relevant work experience, I have been in employment for the past 8 years (mature student) and am involved in some extra curricular activities at my uni.

I guess TL,DR - is there any point in me applying?

I honestly don't know how closely universities look at each individual module score vs your overall grade, but in your case I wouldn't worry too much if your results are varied as long as you're doing okay overall.

I was in a similar situation to you, actually. For my first three years of university i got 72%/67%/85%, but to give an example, in 2nd year I almost failed one of my modules (41%) yet in other modules I had 85-90%. I have never had anyone comment on my individual module scores, my grades have always been seen as 'very good' and I'm on track for a 1st despite these fluctuations. I'd say as long as you're not worried about your average grade, don't stress too much.

Also, I think you'd be surprised at the 'competition' for MSc courses. I don't think it's as competitive as you think -- there's very little funding, undergraduate Masters are also becoming more common, etc -- and most places ask for a 2.2 or above.

tl;dr yes you should apply. no idea where/what you're applying for, but spend some time on your personal statement and i'd say you're in for a good chance. :smile:

edit: essentially what klix said. :colonhash:
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your encouragement. I just wasn't sure if they were likely to grill me on individual marks, though I suppose I best have a response prepared in case they do!
Reply 4
individual module scores do matter in the sense that (eg) if you got a first in all your qualitative modules but a 2:2 in all the mathematical ones and were applying for a quantitative MSc, there might be concerns over your ability. Ditto for PhD applications (where individual scores can matter more)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Oh no, they're very much all distinct units rather than qualitative vs quantitative and I gained the higher marks on the more relevant units.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending