The Student Room Group

How do I start my PS?

HOW DO I START MY Personal statement pleeeaaaase!!! Do I say hi, Do start with a quote from a book, talk about lecture I've been to. Its sooo difficult.
No you don't say hi!! It's a professional application and should be formal. Quotes are cliched and not usually well received. Go straight into why you want to do the course and what aspects of it you're interested in.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry with a year in industry, University of York
PhD in molecular biology, Queen Mary University of London
Reply 2
Depends what course you're applying to. You could start of with a mini description of what the course is about and why it fascinates you e.g. "medicine is more than just about treating patients, it could be argued that it's the application of..."
Original post by TeryMery
HOW DO I START MY Personal statement pleeeaaaase!!! Do I say hi, Do start with a quote from a book, talk about lecture I've been to. Its sooo difficult.

Look at these videos. Will help.

PART#1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17EPnhhHopE&feature=iv&src_vid=46pDMvB1vIs&annotation_id=annotation_1122034291

PART#2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pDMvB1vIs
Don't say hi - it's a formal document. Quotes from books are cliched and therefore also best avoided. It's good to talk about a lecture you've been to, but it may not be the best thing to start with. Focus on saying why you want to do the course :smile: Look at the guidance in my signature below
Reply 5
Once upon a time in Valhalla...
My advice is to think of something really punchy and different - I spoke to an admissions tutor at a uni who said he had had enough of people starting them with things like 'I want to study ..... because' or '..... Is the study of' etc. it took me 4 months to come up with my opening! I started from the second paragraph and went back to the first. I'm sure you will come up with something perfect :smile:
Original post by finchieface
My advice is to think of something really punchy and different - I spoke to an admissions tutor at a uni who said he had had enough of people starting them with things like 'I want to study ..... because' or '..... Is the study of' etc. it took me 4 months to come up with my opening! I started from the second paragraph and went back to the first. I'm sure you will come up with something perfect :smile:

I agree that it's good to have a more interesting (but non-cliched) opening, although that is often a good place to start so that you have SOMETHING in your introduction to then change it later
Reply 8
I started with "My name is…" and took it from there! It's incredibly boring, but that led immediately into what, I think, was a killer first paragraph.

Start with what you'd like the first paragraph to say then how to get to the point in as few words as possible?

That's my advice, although it contradicts some of the great suggestions above about being a bit more distinctive. Just try to figure out what you're most comfortable with, and what's right for you and your course. :smile:
Original post by Skyf4ll
I started with "My name is…" and took it from there! It's incredibly boring, but that led immediately into what, I think, was a killer first paragraph.

Start with what you'd like the first paragraph to say then how to get to the point in as few words as possible?

That's my advice, although it contradicts some of the great suggestions above about being a bit more distinctive. Just try to figure out what you're most comfortable with, and what's right for you and your course. :smile:

That is a waste of characters - they will see all your personal details elsewhere
Reply 10
Original post by *Interrobang*
That is a waste of characters - they will see all your personal details elsewhere

You're right, but it's also a good way to get something down so you're not worrying about how it opens.

Assuming you remember to remove it, of course...
Whatever you do don't start it with "Ever since I was little I've wanted to be a ..." because that's pretty cliche. Instead try looking to the future instead. Talk about your ultimate goal first and then through your personal statement say how you're trying to achieve it (well that's what I did anyway) :smile:
I couldn't think of anything when writing mine so went with 'I am currently studying (subject) at (college) aiming for a (target grade)'!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending