The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into a Russell Group uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
Damn! Flops all round :redface: I was hoping that you were saving a success story till last...haha What about students who got slighty better grades at AS, i.e. BBC/BBB/? Got any anecdotes in which students with these kind of grades ended up meeting their aspirational offers or? :lol:

There was a mixture of successes and failures for the average grade students. A lot of them managed to get into their firm which is universities like York, King's, Queen Mary, St George's, City, Greenwich, Westminster, Kingston, Brunel, Hertfordshire etc. One student who had BCC for AS held UCL as firm but he didn't get the grades so ended up in Bristol which was his insurance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
What courses are you all doing/have done?
'Russell Group' is not some sort of magic bullet that guarantees you a job and instant happiness.

Its a marketing device that the old Unis set up when the Polytechnics got Uni status. It is THAT simple.

Apart from school-leavers, no-one in the real world actually cares if your Uni was RG or not - because they know it is utterly meaningless.
And most employers wouldnt know which Unis were 'RG' anyway. They dont keep list on the back of the HR Dept's door or use it as a filter for job applicants.

Schools (particularly private schools) bang on about RG because they think it'll make the 'Sixth Form destinations' list they put on their website each year will look marvelous if there are a smattering of kids going to Durham, Manchester, Bristol etc. So stop being blinded by this RG nonsense - it will not get you a 'better' degree, a 'better' job or guarantee you a fabulous social life.
Reply 23
Original post by sydneybridge
'Russell Group' is not some sort of magic bullet that guarantees you a job and instant happiness.

Its a marketing device that the old Unis set up when the Polytechnics got Uni status. It is THAT simple.

Apart from school-leavers, no-one in the real world actually cares if your Uni was RG or not - because they know it is utterly meaningless.
And most employers wouldnt know which Unis were 'RG' anyway. They dont keep list on the back of the HR Dept's door or use it as a filter for job applicants.

Schools (particularly private schools) bang on about RG because they think it'll make the 'Sixth Form destinations' list they put on their website each year will look marvelous if there are a smattering of kids going to Durham, Manchester, Bristol etc. So stop being blinded by this RG nonsense - it will not get you a 'better' degree, a 'better' job or guarantee you a fabulous social life.

Oh I'm not blinded :smile:

I want to go to a research based, of which I know that RG are the most well funded and highly accredited.
Depends on subject. If you want to do work on auto-engineering for instant Coventry or Birmingham City are the best places to go to for a degree.

AND - if you are only at undergraduate level, dont bother looking at the 'research profile' of that Uni. You will probably go somewhere else for post-grad (the majority of students do), and if all the staff are engaged in mega research they wont be teaching you - they will get PhD students to do it for them (yes, really). People think 'a research intensive Uni' will give them a better undergrad experience in terms of teaching etc and usually its totally the reverse!
Reply 25
Depends on subject. If you want to do work on auto-engineering for instant Coventry or Birmingham City are the best places to go to for a degree.

AND - if you are only at undergraduate level, dont bother looking at the 'research profile' of that Uni. You will probably go somewhere else for post-grad (the majority of students do), and if all the staff are engaged in mega research they wont be teaching you - they will get PhD students to do it for them (yes, really). People think 'a research intensive Uni' will give them a better undergrad experience in terms of teaching etc and usually its totally the reverse!

Ah yeah, I completely understand.

I have a question - would it be advisable to do an undergrad in Chemical Engineering and then become an Actuary?

The careers advisor at my school said it was a feasible pathway to becoming an actuary but I just wanted some advice.
Original post by thatitootoo
Damn! Flops all round :redface: I was hoping that you were saving a success story till last...haha What about students who got slighty better grades at AS, i.e. BBC/BBB/? Got any anecdotes in which students with these kind of grades ended up meeting their aspirational offers or? :lol:

One guy in my school got BCC at AS, got 4 rejections by Christmas for medicine...resat loads of exams in year 13, having about 16 in total!! ...he got AAA and now has an unconditional offer for medicine at Manchester.

Another got BDU at AS, no idea about final grades but he got into ucl
Original post by arch0wnz
Oh I'm not blinded :smile:

I want to go to a research based, of which I know that RG are the most well funded and highly accredited.

Carry on believing the myth if you wish to, ask yourself this question. if all these unis were not worried why did they club together to form this elite club. lets put it another way when rg was formed kings Cardiff and queens Belfast were not included. they joined much later. durham Exeter York and queen mary did not join until 2012. were those unis worse before they joined and have suddenly got better or had more research funding. they were all part of the 1994 group along with the likes of st Andrews bath Lancaster and Loughborough. have those unis got worse because they did not join the rg. the league table which are based on things like entry standards student satisfaction proportion getting first and 2.1 etc have consistently found 11 unis have ended in the top 12. these have used different criteria but the results are similar. of the 11 8 are rg unis 3 are not and 2 joined the rg in 2012. they are oxford, Cambridge imperial lse ucl durham st Andrews warwick bath Exeter and Lancaster. a look at the average entry ucas points per student shows the 10 English unis in the 12 unis with highest entry points. Scottish unis do particularly well on this basis but that might be because they take more subjects as highers so I have left them out. the other 2 top unis in entry standards are Bristol and kings.

You should forget the Russell group thing as it is useless and concentrating on getting into the best uni you can regardless of whether it is involved in a marketing body. in addition to the ones mentioned unis like surrey Loughborough and east Anglia are every bit as good if not better than some rg unis.

finally as told previously your happiness is far more important. going to a uni where you feel comfortable and you are interested in the course is what you need to do
I'm having to repeat the year, and i was just wondering what chances i have now as i've been really really worried about it ever since i got my AS results back.

I got ACDD.

It's been almost 6 months now since I restarted year 12 and it's going very very well, much better than my original year 12.

In my January mocks, I got A*AAA (I'm doing A2 bio, AS Maths, AS Chem and S1) which is a significant improvement on last years mock results.

However, I'm currently not sure what course i want to do, but I was thinking about doing something maths based or Chemical engineering.

I was wondering if I still had any chance of getting into a Russell Group university because that's the only reason i'm repeating the year, my head of sixth form basically forced me to repeat the year because she didn't think i was doing myself justice by just going on into year 13 with very bad AS grades, so that was the main reason I decided to repeat the year.

Do i have any chance of doing Chem Eng or a maths based course at a Russell Group uni?

Of course you do. All you need is BBB to get into a russell group uni for Maths/Chem Eng. If you're getting A*AAA in a mock then you're sorted.
Original post by Dr. Django
One guy in my school got BCC at AS, got 4 rejections by Christmas for medicine...resat loads of exams in year 13, having about 16 in total!! ...he got AAA and now has an unconditional offer for medicine at Manchester.

Another got BDU at AS, no idea about final grades but he got into ucl

Ah so there's hope!! So If I received BBB at AS I could still go to university. Ah thank you lord!!!
depends whether you want to go top 5 or any rg. if it's any, it's not hard to get into one.
Original post by jam277
Of course you do. All you need is BBB to get into a russell group uni for Maths/Chem Eng. If you're getting A*AAA in a mock then you're sorted.

Rubbish. You can have all that and still not get an offer.

Or hadnt you noticed that you also get scored on your Personal Statement?
Original post by Cherry82
Ah so there's hope!! So If I received BBB at AS I could still go to university. Ah thank you lord!!!

If you look at What Uni (www.whatuni.com) you will see that you can get into many, many Universities to read all sorts of subjects with BBB at A2. And guess what, those people have great student experiences, achieve solid degree results, get sensible well paid jobs and have happy lives. Amazing really.
Rubbish. You can have all that and still not get an offer.

Or hadnt you noticed that you also get scored on your Personal Statement?

Assuming that OP is not a doughnut and can do at least a semi decent personal statement.
Reply 34
Original post by jam277
Assuming that OP is not a doughnut and can do at least a semi decent personal statement.

OP wrote his friend's personal statement for Architecture and they got 2 offers within two days of the application being sent off. :smile:

I think I can handle it, don't you think?

Next time you want to demoralise someone, don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm having to repeat the year, and i was just wondering what chances i have now as i've been really really worried about it ever since i got my AS results back.

I got ACDD.

It's been almost 6 months now since I restarted year 12 and it's going very very well, much better than my original year 12.

In my January mocks, I got A*AAA (I'm doing A2 bio, AS Maths, AS Chem and S1) which is a significant improvement on last years mock results.

However, I'm currently not sure what course i want to do, but I was thinking about doing something maths based or Chemical engineering.

I was wondering if I still had any chance of getting into a Russell Group university because that's the only reason i'm repeating the year, my head of sixth form basically forced me to repeat the year because she didn't think i was doing myself justice by just going on into year 13 with very bad AS grades, so that was the main reason I decided to repeat the year.

Do i have any chance of doing Chem Eng or a maths based course at a Russell Group uni?

I'd say go for it- there's no harm in applying! You have 5 choices so you could use maybe 2-3 for Russell groups and an extra 2-3 choices as back up. I have a friend who repeated yr 13 then went to Birmingham, also to study Engineering. I should just say though that if you got those grades from not doing your best rather due to your capabilities then learn from it! Reflect on why your first year in year 12 didn't work out and what you are doing this year that is working. My friend who got into Engineering at Bham also had to repeat his first year of uni, so just because you have alrady repeated a year it doesn't mean it won't happen again. I'm not saying this to scare you, I just hope that you can learn from this experience and become a better learner from it.
OP wrote his friend's personal statement for Architecture and they got 2 offers within two days of the application being sent off. :smile:

I think I can handle it, don't you think?

Next time you want to demoralise someone, don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was saying that in jest as a satirical response to the guy saying you get marked on your PS.

Basically all I'm saying is that you have nothing to worry about. Gonna be tough getting into UCL etc for competitive courses but you should be fine for most russell group universities with ABB/BBB grades for a lot of their subjects. Well from when I was at university anyway.

Plus if you do get A*AAA you can always reapply next year to the top universities and they're more likely to take you even though you resitted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Seeing how this was posted in 2015, i assume the story is now over, so would you mind giving us an update on how things went if you're still here?Did you get to a RG and what grades did you get for A2?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending