The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TajwarC
I was rejected from my top choice. I would consider appealing but the chances just seem so low for the amount of effort I would have to put in (I guess anyway). So for the moment I'm asking if anyone has any success stories purely out of interest.

Replies would be appreciated.

Pretty much in the same boat. Was pretty ecstatic to see my choice on extra but the chances seem pretty slim! Hope someone could help ;/
I've seen people appeal successfully over the past few years. Sometimes the university makes a mistake over whether an applicant has a particular qualificiation, for example.
May I ask how can we appeal? Besides using the Extra?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ErinBliss
May I ask how can we appeal? Besides using the Extra?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Extra has nothing to do with appealing a rejection from a university.

Extra is for applicants who have received 5 rejections or who have declined all their offers.
Original post by ageshallnot
Extra has nothing to do with appealing a rejection from a university.

Extra is for applicants who have received 5 rejections or who have declined all their offers.

Thanks, I understand now. How can we appeal to the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know of one person who appealed 6 times and eventually got their place. Not gonna lie I would consider that kinda desparate. They probably caved just to keep her quiet.
Original post by ErinBliss
Thanks, I understand now. How can we appeal to the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if there is a specific procedure. It is quite likely that you have to deal directly with the university in question.
Original post by SnooFnoo
I know of one person who appealed 6 times and eventually got their place. Not gonna lie I would consider that kinda desparate. They probably caved just to keep her quiet.

6 TIMES?! Wow. That's called persistence lmao with a hint of desperation. The uni must have thought **** it, she's not going away. She'll keep on ringing us or apply again later on :\
Reply 9
Original post by ddalgi
Pretty much in the same boat. Was pretty ecstatic to see my choice on extra but the chances seem pretty slim! Hope someone could help ;/

That would actually really annoy me though, seeing my choice and course in extra. Because that means they have extra places meaning I could have just got the offer in the first place!
There is no specific procedure to appeal to a university. The only thing you can do is contact them, and ask them to reconsider.

However, the vast majority of universities will not reconsider- they have the right to reject anyone, for any reason. It's not like state school appeals where you can state they've applied the admission criteria wrongly.

More normally, if people have their heart set on a specific university, they will reapply while taking a gap year- sometimes while retaking exams.
Reply 11
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
There is no specific procedure to appeal to a university. The only thing you can do is contact them, and ask them to reconsider.

However, the vast majority of universities will not reconsider- they have the right to reject anyone, for any reason. It's not like state school appeals where you can state they've applied the admission criteria wrongly.

More normally, if people have their heart set on a specific university, they will reapply while taking a gap year- sometimes while retaking exams.

Could you elaborate on what 'state school appeals' are please?
Original post by TajwarC
Could you elaborate on what 'state school appeals' are please?

I'm referring to appeals for primary/secondary schools in the state sector. Admissions bodies (usually the local authority) will have a list of priorities/rule that determine who gets a place at each school (e.g. having a sibling at the school, distance from the school to your home etc.) , and if the parent (or whoever applied to the school) doesn't believe the rules have been applied correctly, they can appeal.

Universities don't have rules in this way, and can essentially give any offer they like to any person they like, and they don't have to justify the decisions they make. Admissions for schools must be done on an objective basis, but university admissions can be subjective (e.g. I liked his personal statement better).

I hope this makes things clearer :h:
Reply 13
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I'm referring to appeals for primary/secondary schools in the state sector. Admissions bodies (usually the local authority) will have a list of priorities/rule that determine who gets a place at each school (e.g. having a sibling at the school, distance from the school to your home etc.) , and if the parent (or whoever applied to the school) doesn't believe the rules have been applied correctly, they can appeal.

Universities don't have rules in this way, and can essentially give any offer they like to any person they like, and they don't have to justify the decisions they make. Admissions for schools must be done on an objective basis, but university admissions can be subjective (e.g. I liked his personal statement better).

I hope this makes things clearer :h:

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by TajwarC
That would actually really annoy me though, seeing my choice and course in extra. Because that means they have extra places meaning I could have just got the offer in the first place!

Precisely! If you don't mind me asking, which unis have you applied to and do you plan on appealing your rejection? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ddalgi
Precisely! If you don't mind me asking, which unis have you applied to and do you plan on appealing your rejection? :smile:

I applied to UCL, Bath, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham for Chemistry. I got rejected from UCL but have offers from the others. I'm considering appealing but I need to have a discussion with my head of 6th first. What about you?
Original post by TajwarC
I applied to UCL, Bath, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham for Chemistry. I got rejected from UCL but have offers from the others. I'm considering appealing but I need to have a discussion with my head of 6th first. What about you?

What grounds did UCL give for your rejection?
Original post by TajwarC

why bother you already have offers from 4 other outstanding universities. Nottingham and bath are outstanding for chemistry. I don't know enough about the others but non the less they are very prestigious unis
Original post by TajwarC

UCL, the Bartlett refused my proposal to appeal :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
What grounds did UCL give for your rejection?

Application was not as strong as other applicants.

Latest

Trending

Trending