The Student Room Group

Should I drop Maths?

I'm in my second year of A Levels (A2) and I'm studying Maths, Economics and Business, General Studies and BTEC ICT. I've already got offers back from all of my universities and all they want is either 300 UCAS points or ABB. Any of the grades from the ABB requirement can be switched for a Distinction or higher in the BTEC subject. All the universities also accept General Studies. None of them wanted Maths specifically. For the record I'm going to be studying Computer Science in September of this year.

This means that even if I drop Maths, my universities will still accept me as long as I get the required grades. I REALLY don't like A2 Maths and I feel as if the amount of time I spend on it can better be used for my other subjects in which I am far superior in. I'm also terrible in it and I'm pretty sure with Maths out of the way I can focus much more on my other subjects.

So what do you guys think?
Original post by Luke Ferguson
I'm in my second year of A Levels (A2) and I'm studying Maths, Economics and Business, General Studies and BTEC ICT. I've already got offers back from all of my universities and all they want is either 300 UCAS points or ABB. Any of the grades from the ABB requirement can be switched for a Distinction or higher in the BTEC subject. All the universities also accept General Studies. None of them wanted Maths specifically. For the record I'm going to be studying Computer Science in September of this year.

This means that even if I drop Maths, my universities will still accept me as long as I get the required grades. I REALLY don't like A2 Maths and I feel as if the amount of time I spend on it can better be used for my other subjects in which I am far superior in. I'm also terrible in it and I'm pretty sure with Maths out of the way I can focus much more on my other subjects.

Honestly I think that doing maths is probably going to be more useful for computer science than a subject such as General studies, and universities generally prefer other subjects over General studies
I don't think you should. You will I am sure find some of the things you learn of benefit in later life, not just being able to apply to be Rachel Riley's successor on Countdown.
Original post by Luke Ferguson

Lol if u are doin Computer Science then 40% wat u do is maths and rest is programmmin nd other stuff. So I highly recommend u not to drop maths at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by barnetlad
I don't think you should. You will I am sure find some of the things you learn of benefit in later life, not just being able to apply to be Rachel Riley's successor on Countdown.

She has a Cambridge maths degree.
Original post by TVIO
She has a Cambridge maths degree.

It's Oxford.
Reply 6
Original post by EastGuava
It's Oxford.

Damn, you're right must've mixed her and Carol up (though Carol did engg. at Cambridge not maths).

Quick Reply

Latest