The Student Room Group

Reading or Surrey University? Help please!

Hi everyone

Sorry for this lengthy post but I really need some help and advice so I would appreciate it if you could take the time to read.

I'm having a tough time trying to decide which university to out as my firm choice to study Biomedical Science. I have received conditional offers from both (Reading - AAC/ABB, Surrey - AAB). My AS grades were AABB. I want to be a biomedical scientist in the future and I think I want to work in the NHS, hence I decided to apply to these universities because they have IBMS accreditation (required to be able to work in the NHS as a biomedical scientist).

I originally decided that I wanted Surrey to be my firm choice because it seems quite a bit higher on league tables compared to Readinga and has high student satisfaction. However, I went to visit both at their open days and Reading's campus was sooo much nicer in my opinion. The front building and library of Surrey are both nice looking buildings but the rest, including the medical sciences building, looked like a concrete jungle and really worn down (I do take account of the fact it is an older university). The teaching laboratories remind me of the ones we have at college and are nothing spectacular. Reading, on the other hand, has really nice, modern looking buildings and the laboratories are lush!

Another thing that drew me towards Surrey was its high employment record and the fact there is an option for a professional training year. Reading does not have this option, however I think they can organise a few weeks of work experience placements over the summer - I need to find out more about this.

Furthermore, Reading's accomodation is so much nicer and more modern. Another decision I would have to make with Surrey is whether to choose off campus (Manor Park) or on campus accomodation - you can't choose which halls you would be in unfortunately, only the 'band' of accomodation (I would choose band D, ensuite). The accomodation at Manor Park(Surrey) is much nicer apparently(I haven't seen it myself) as it is more modern. But it is less social apparently as you are 20 mins walk away from the main Stag Hill campus! The on campus accomodation however isn't as modern and not as nice as Manor Park.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and if anyone has been in the same position as me or is a current student at these universities, please give your opinions and help!
Reply 1
Oh another thing I wanted to mention is that when I went to the open day at Reading, a member of the academic staff giving a talk said that they try to encourage students to go into research rather than work in the NHS for example, although they do have a minor few students that do want to work in the NHS. This put me off going there a bit :/
what are the majority of people (ethinic wise) and what is the atmosphere like?
Original post by scrawlx101
what are the majority of people (ethinic wise) and what is the atmosphere like?

I went to reading yesterday and it's actually incredibly diverse. Majority White but a good proportion of black, Asian and Chinese students which actually surprised me. Possibly more than I see whilst I'm hanging around central London.
The atmosphere is pretty quiet, the uni is kind of rural/country but the town is just as social as any town centre.
Original post by Crystalz
I went to reading yesterday and it's actually incredibly diverse. Majority White but a good proportion of black, Asian and Chinese students which actually surprised me. Possibly more than I see whilst I'm hanging around central London.
The atmosphere is pretty quiet, the uni is kind of rural/country but the town is just as social as any town centre.

okay thats cool! Thanks! My teacher asked us to come up with a list of unis since she wants to do our references early(In year 12 so kind of weird to do it now)

Do you have to make your uni choices based on this:

My target grades are ABB :smile:

Choice 1 and 2 - where you want to go most(high ranked)
Choice 3-A uni i wouldnt mind going to if i dont get my first two choices
Choice 4 and 5- safety/insurance options?
I went to reading for a year and will say that if you do choose reading you'll have an amazing time...the student union is really good and there are loads of societies to join (although I've heard surrey also has a good student union). It does have a fair few private school students but this just adds to the diversity imo. I had a friend studying biomedical science and they're now working in a lab and are on good money (sorry I can't remember the exact job title). Also there's a club on campus (not sure if surrey has one) and London is only 25 mins away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending