The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingStannis
I think liebiniz was a Christian? He didn't have to address problems like the problem of evil just to fit in.

I don't know that Lebiniz wasn't a Christian. Here again we run into the problem that near everyone of the day was a professing Christian and that, yes, there were penalties for apostasy. What I had been objecting to in the speculation made re: Descartes was the notion that if someone was highly intelligent we can probably give them the benefit of the doubt in supposing "really atheist but had to disguise it". I gave the example of Kripke to show that it can't hold in all cases even where external pressures don't obtain.

Now with regard to Leibniz there is better circumstantial evidence. We know that he was an arch 'fitter-in', a social climber always financially reliant on patronage and the good graces of the establishment. We know that he had a fluid relationship with the formal truth: invented his lineage, was exposed in lying in his diplomatic career. And we know that he wrote to themes commissioned by (often idiot and always religiously devout) patrons: see Voltaire and Russell for famous savagings on this last point.
What's the use in trying to stop someone ?
It makes me very happy that we have deviated from a stupid debate as to whether some degrees are pointless or not, and have descended into philosophy. If that was my fault for starting this, sorry! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting back to the original topic: (and no, I've not read the whole thread)
Can someone please explain how Psychology is a useless degree? Without Psychology, we wouldn't have Psychologists. My sister has a 1st in a Masters of Psychology. She is currently employed by the NHS and works in various wards across Devon. She pretty much got her degree and walked into her job... Can many graduates honestly say they managed to do that?
Original post by OU Student
Can someone please explain how Psychology is a useless degree? Without Psychology, we wouldn't have Psychologists. My sister has a 1st in a Masters of Psychology. She is currently employed by the NHS and works in various wards across Devon. She pretty much got her degree and walked into her job... Can many graduates honestly say they managed to do that?

Very few psychology graduates find a job that easily though.
Original post by cambio wechsel
@Juichiro

My point with regard to 'fear of the church' not doing all the work and the Kripke example was that Kripke plainly should have no consequences to fear from revealing his atheism. He doesn't, and professes his religiosity. And he is certainly the most distinguished living philosopher, come on. Here's the Leiter Report poll for the last 200 years: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/so-who-is-the-most-important-philosopher-of-the-past-200-years.html

How is that relevant? Kripke was not alive in the 14th-19th century. My point was that the Church had some threatening power back in the days and you did not want to mess with them or with its supporters. Its power has certainly diminished in the western world. In Africa and South America, it is another tale.

Certainly? According to a list in a random blog? Are you serious?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OU Student

Most psychology students don't work in psychology fields (maybe because demand < offer). There are some stats about this out there.

Btw, useless means that it does not have utility and utility is a subject term (which for many here means likelihood of getting a job that I would not get without that degree) so I would hold my breath trying to reason much about this.
Don't do a subject that will leave u stacking shelves and serving fast food.
Original post by Juichiro
How is that relevant? Kripke was not alive in the 14th-19th century. My point was that the Church had some threatening power back in the days and you did not want to mess with them or with its supporters.

That's right. My point was that Kripke is not subject to threat and still professes his religion. It was intended to undermine the notion that all extremely intelligent people who professed belief were likely doing so out of fear of repercussion. My feeling, stated repeatedly, is that this won't do and a case by case reference to the available evidence is preferable policy.

Certainly? According to a list in a random blog? Are you serious?

That's not a random blog, it's the Leiter Report. And the list is the result of polling professional philosophers for their sense of who is "important". If you can conceive of a better way of measuring who is distinguished in philosophy, or what could constitute better proof in this context, then let's hear it. I'm as well curious as to who you feel this should be if not Kripke and whether you would agree at least that Kripke is someone "hugely important“ in modern philosophy, which should anyway be enough to sustain my using him as example in the way I did.
1.That's right. My point was that Kripke is not subject to threat and still professes his religion. It was intended to undermine the notion that all extremely intelligent people who professed belief were likely doing so out of fear of repercussion. My feeling, stated repeatedly, is that this won't do and a case by case reference to the available evidence is preferable policy.

2. That's not a random blog, it's the Leiter Report. And the list is the result of polling professional philosophers for their sense of who is "important". 3.If you can conceive of a better way of measuring who is distinguished in philosophy, or what could constitute better proof in this context, then let's hear it. 4.I'm as well curious as to who you feel this should be if not Kripke and 5.whether you would agree at least that Kripke is someone "hugely important“ in modern philosophy, which should anyway be enough to sustain my using him as example in the way I did.

1. Now notice that René is not alive. He was alive in the period where the Church was powerful. Btw, I did not say that all extremely intelligent people who claimed to be religious were fake. I only said that Descartes seemed like a fake one. People like Kant or Newton do not seem so to me. I thought I would make that clear as I feel that you think that I think that intelligent people do not genuinely have religious beliefs.

2. I think you don't get it. I see no objective criteria behind the rankings. And if it is not objective, you can't just claim that a person in that list is the most distinguished philosopher. Let me show you the subjective terms that are an obstacle to objectivity in this ranking: "sense of who is important", "important" and "distinguished".

3. " If you can conceive of a better way of measuring who is distinguished in philosophy, or what could constitute better proof in this context, then let's hear it." Ridiculous. Just because I don't have a ranking it does not mean that I should accept any ranking or this ranking in particular. This sounds like the old inference "science does not explain anything therefore, religion must be right" claims that religious people often make. Makes me wonder if you are a religious person.

But since you ask I would say that before you start measuring you need to ensure that you know what you are measuring and that the thing being measured is internally valid. The first thing is to give a definition of "distinguished" that is not subjective, then you need to establish the size of the list and how far in time are you willing to go and whether you will use check all philosophers or all philosophers from a particular branch. I would first get these things done before I go on measuring things.

4. "I'm as well curious as to who you feel this should be". Who I feel? Well, that's asking for an opinion not for a fact. I first need to know what exactly you mean by "distinguished" and "important". Hopefully, you won't define them with more subjective/vague terms.

5. More vague words. I first need to know what exactly you mean by "distinguished" and "important".
The first thing is to give a definition of "distinguished" that is not subjective, then you need to establish the size of the list and how far in time are you willing to go and whether you will use check all philosophers or all philosophers from a particular branch. I would first get these things done before I go on measuring things.

It's like discussing something with Joad. I'm using "distinguished" in the ordinary English sense, perhaps 'marked by special distinction'.

For non-subjective* measures of distinction:

Society of Fellows, Harvard University
Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Corresponding Fellow, British Academy
Fellow, Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europaea
Fellow, Norwegian Academy of Sciences
Schock Prize in Logic and Philosophy, Swedish Academy of Sciences, 2001.

Additionally Kripke is surely the only living philosopher to have a research centre dedicated to the study of specifically his work: http://kripkecenter.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

*In anticipation of nonsense: you might want to dispute whether he is deserving of these (what are surely, by anyone's understanding, 'distinctions') but it is a matter of objective fact that he has them.
It's like discussing something with Joad. I'm using 1."distinguished" in the ordinary English sense, perhaps 'marked by special distinction'.

2.For non-subjective* measures of distinction:

Society of Fellows, Harvard University
Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Corresponding Fellow, British Academy
Fellow, Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europaea
Fellow, Norwegian Academy of Sciences
Schock Prize in Logic and Philosophy, Swedish Academy of Sciences, 2001.

3.Additionally Kripke is surely the only living philosopher to have a research centre dedicated to the study of specifically his work: http://kripkecenter.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

*In anticipation of nonsense: you might want to dispute whether he is deserving of these (what are surely, by anyone's understanding, 'distinctions') but it is a matter of objective fact that he has them.

1. The ordinary English sense is subjective. Just like the ordinary English sense of "right" and "good" are. I think this much is obvious. Do you really think that "marked by special distinction" is objective and not open to interpretation? You are still defining subjective words in terms of other subjective words.

2. What makes you think that these measures of distinction (i.e. membeship to a particular group of academics) are objective? Also, why is it that your measures of distinction only include western universities/research centres/etc?

3. You still haven't defined "distinguished" (marked by special distinction is not any less ambiguous than 'marked by special distinction'). You first gave a ranking as a measure of this "characteristic", then you gave membership as a measure of this characteristic, now you give the existence of research centre solely focused on your work. Yet you haven't explained why these measures are internally valid (for example, why is having a research centre focused on your work and not the number of times your papers get cited a measure of distinction). My point is that, without explaining your choice of measures, your measures are as valid as judging someone's intelligence by the number of research papers that he writes.

Btw, I am not really interested on who is most distinguished/important/eminent/[insert subjective/vague adjective here]. The main reason I am willing to deviate from the main topic (let alone the thread!) is because I am interested on clear definitions and I like sharing the joy of using objective/non-ambiguous words with others. :smile:
The main reason I am willing to deviate from the main topic (let alone the thread!) is because I am interested on clear definitions and I like sharing the joy of using objective/non-ambiguous words with others. :smile:

I'm afraid that far from finding it a joy I find this only overreaching and exhausting.

Your mistake here is in supposing that "distinguished" is a property like, what you offer in comparison, "intelligent". It is not and is relational rather than intrinsic. There is no sharing in a Platonic form of distinction. A person is distinguished to the extent that he is held in special regard and no-one is at once distinguished and unrecognised any more than there is someone who is both of famous and obscure. You might consider for illustration the terms 'beautiful' and 'attractive': we can allow it as logically possible that a person might be beautiful though no-one finds her so, but cannot allow the same of the claim that she's 'attractive'.

The awards and honours mentioned are objective evidence of his being held in special regard. Whether they are or are not the ideal measures of this is neither here nor there. For the purpose of a discussion I won't be rejoining, that he enjoys this degree of eminence is enough to secure Saul Kripke as plainly distinguished in his field. Practically no living philosopher, and likely actually no living philosopher, has been so much honoured.

Also, why is it that your measures of distinction only include western universities/research centres/etc?

I've certainly not excised any non-Western institutions from the list. Still it is a list of items pertaining to specifically him. I cannot invent for him an honorary chair at Waseda or Fudan, but if he had one then I would have included it.

Latest

Trending

Trending