The Student Room Group

Newman University or Coventry University??? Help?

Hi, I was hoping if there is anyone out there who goes to Newman University or Coventry university?? I'm in a difficult situation in deciding which Uni to go to between these two??:frown: :s-smilie: Can you please tell me your opinion on Newman and Cov uni? How is it?

For Newman I have chose to study Early Childhood, Education & Care and for Coventry I have chosen to study Childhood & Youth Studies?

I have little time left as I need to accept the choice of which uni I want to go to.

Please HELP??

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by KKowser
Hi, I was hoping if there is anyone out there who goes to Newman University or Coventry university?? I'm in a difficult situation in deciding which Uni to go to between these two??:frown: :s-smilie: Can you please tell me your opinion on Newman and Cov uni? How is it?

For Newman I have chose to study Early Childhood, Education & Care and for Coventry I have chosen to study Childhood & Youth Studies?

I have little time left as I need to accept the choice of which uni I want to go to.

Please HELP??

Thank you

Hey,
I go to Coventry University, and I was considering Newman early on in my decision making process. My hometown is very close to Newmans campus and so I would have been able to commute had I gone there. What swung it for me was the course at Coventry. My biggest advice is to go to Open Days at both (or if you have already), write a list of your favourite things about each university, and then a list of any concerns you have. Then get in touch with the admissions office and/or course director (if you don't know who this is speak to the admissions office at each and they'll be able to put you in touch), let them know your concerns and see what they say. Universities want to help you make the right decision for you.

A few things you might want to consider are:
- Course content - what modules are covered and how well do these relate to your specific interests and/or future career aspirations?
- Assessment - is it mainly practical/essays/course work or exams? What do you prefer and what method of assessment helps your learning the most?
- Facilities - which university has the facilities that best suit your needs? If there are lots of practical modules is there access to the necessary facilities on campus to complete this?
- General feel - How did you feel walking around on Open Day? Could you picture yourself spending the next 3 years of your life there? & What did the current staff and students in the department have to say about the course?

If you have any queries at all about Coventry I'll do my best to answer them, I've loved my time here so much they're now having difficulty getting me to leave :wink: But in all seriousness, Coventry University is one of my favourite topics, so if there's anything you want to know, just get in touch :smile:

Good luck with the big decision & be sure to let us know what you decide!
- Josh
Reply 2
Original post by Cov Uni
Hey,
I go to Coventry University, and I was considering Newman early on in my decision making process. My hometown is very close to Newmans campus and so I would have been able to commute had I gone there. What swung it for me was the course at Coventry. My biggest advice is to go to Open Days at both (or if you have already), write a list of your favourite things about each university, and then a list of any concerns you have. Then get in touch with the admissions office and/or course director (if you don't know who this is speak to the admissions office at each and they'll be able to put you in touch), let them know your concerns and see what they say. Universities want to help you make the right decision for you.

A few things you might want to consider are:
- Course content - what modules are covered and how well do these relate to your specific interests and/or future career aspirations?
- Assessment - is it mainly practical/essays/course work or exams? What do you prefer and what method of assessment helps your learning the most?
- Facilities - which university has the facilities that best suit your needs? If there are lots of practical modules is there access to the necessary facilities on campus to complete this?
- General feel - How did you feel walking around on Open Day? Could you picture yourself spending the next 3 years of your life there? & What did the current staff and students in the department have to say about the course?

If you have any queries at all about Coventry I'll do my best to answer them, I've loved my time here so much they're now having difficulty getting me to leave :wink: But in all seriousness, Coventry University is one of my favourite topics, so if there's anything you want to know, just get in touch :smile:

Good luck with the big decision & be sure to let us know what you decide!
- Josh

Thank you for you're reply! 😊
Unfortunately I did not go to any open days for Coventry and Newman uni due to personal problems 😕
I am glad that you have written down the significant things I need to consider as it will help me a lot!
I'm just nervous about travelling and meeting new individuals 😐😯
But thank you soo much for the information that you have given me, much appreciated and if I do have any questions relating to Coventry I will definitely get in touch with you.
Thank you! 😊 I'll let you know what I have decided 😊
Good luck with you whatever course you are doing Josh!

- Kiran 😊
Reply 3
Original post by KKowser
Thank you for you're reply!
Unfortunately I did not go to any open days for Coventry and Newman uni due to personal problems
I am glad that you have written down the significant things I need to consider as it will help me a lot!
I'm just nervous about travelling and meeting new individuals
But thank you soo much for the information that you have given me, much appreciated and if I do have any questions relating to Coventry I will definitely get in touch with you.
Thank you! I'll let you know what I have decided
Good luck with you whatever course you are doing Josh!

- Kiran

Hi Kiran,
Thank you! I'm sorry to hear you couldn't make the Open Days Kiran. Perhaps if you haven't already you might like to take our virtual tour of the campus online? You can find that here.

Also maybe you could consider doing a 'test-run' to both University campuses over the easter holidays? Take a friend or a family member with you to ease the stress of travelling? It should be nice and quiet over easter with most students at home, and it would give you a chance to see both areas from the outside at least?

Try not to panic about meeting new people, as this is something almost everybody will worry about (even if they won't admit it!). University is brilliant, because you all start off in the same boat, and through societies, sports teams, the student union and your course you'll have chance to meet lots of new friends and like-minded people.

Again, best of luck & look forward to hearing what you decide! :smile:

- Josh
I'm a Newman student.

I can't comment on cov as i've never been there..

What I can say about Newman is... it's an extremely tiny university compared to others. I think it has around 4000 students and this is very advantageous. You can see your tutor ANY TIME of the day as you can simply just knock on their door whenever you need help, They have an open door policy so receiving help is extremely easy! They have a lot of support and as it's a very small uni, classes are small and you really do develop close bonds with your tutors.

You do get a lot of choice in terms of your modules and get to do placement modules every year or even elective modules (modules totally unrelated to your course. It's module that you may find interesting). City center is only 20 minutes away, they do have some societies there but I rarely go)

Feel free to PM me any Qs!
Newman is smaller and so you would get more contact time I'd imagine. Personally, I would go to Newman since it is very well known for teacher training. Coventry is of course the bigger university and as such, has more well-funded facilities and is expanding rapidly into the city centre!
Reply 6
Original post by KKowser

Please HELP??

Thank you

Hi!

Did you end up deciding what University to go to? I just finished at Newman, if you have any questions.

T.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending