The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for applying to 6th form

Can anybody show me how their personal statement for when applying to sixth forms looked like and what it said? I am having loads of trouble with this and haven't found any examples so help would be most appreciated. Also i decided to put this on the general discussion section because more people are on this section so my queries will be answered quicker as once again I have left things to the last minute and tomorrow is the deadline for two of the sixth forms that i am applying to and both require personal statements. So help me guys...please!
Reply 1
Hmm. I didn't have to write one, but here are a few ideas:

- What you wish to study at the sixth form, and why. Any future career ideas?
- What you currently study (GCSE subjects). Academic achievements, e.g. early GCSEs, prizes etc.
- Any work experience or voluntary work.
- Yourself: hobbies, personality, extra curricular/community work around your current school

It doesn't have to be in that order, but I think those are the kind of things you should include :smile:
Reply 2
Okay thanks for that but does anyone have a sample of their personal statement?
:eek: PS for sixth form?
calcium878
:eek: PS for sixth form?

:ditto: At my school, you just filled in a basic form, and even if you applied way after the deadline and your GCSEs weren't good enough, you'd still get in lol. Excalibur had some good suggestions though.
Reply 5
We have to do this like 10-page profile thingy for sixth form entry [well its advised anyway].... which includes a personal statement :eek: Rather annoying since we got 2 hours to do it in Citizenship and then the rest has to be done at home.... :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Ouch- as far as I know, there isn't a formal process which we personally have to go through to apply for the sixth form. All that happens is that year elevens have an interview with a senior member of staff (mine was with the head last Monday; but other teachers included the heads of years 12 and 12, the head of the sixth form, and the deputy head), and they ask what you intend to do- i.e. where you intend to study, and what you intend to study. They fill in a form as you speak, and then you don't need to do anything until you get your results in the summer.

The only problem with this method is that it is slightly casual, and the school just assumes that everyone who wants to go to the sixth form will get in. That's being a little optimistic I think, with an entry requirement of 8Bs.. :p: I just really don't know what I'm going to do if I end up without a place anywhere. :s:

Anywho- to the OP: I found this on a website about university personal statements, so I've changed it a little to make it more applicable in this situation:

Your choice of courses
Give your reasoning behind your choice of course(s) - this might include your interest in the subject, the structure and options of the course, availability of industrial placement etc. If your choices include a range of unrelated courses you will need to use this paragraph to explain this diversity - otherwise you will come across as someone who is undecided or hedging their bets.

Longer term career objectives
Don't worry if these are quite broad at this stage - by including them you will help set the scene for your choice of course. Exemption from appropriate professional bodies offered by your choice of courses may have been important in your decision-making and can be highlighted in the personal statement.

Your university selections (Either skip this section, or perhaps you could write about why you want to go to your sixth form specifically)
Use this paragraph to demonstrate the thought and consideration that have gone into your choice of institution. (Again, write about your sixth form)

The person behind the form
Use the final paragraph to give the admissions tutors a flavour of who you are, your skills, strengths, achievements and personality.

Good luck with the application! :smile:
suuuuuuseh
The only problem with this method is that it is slightly casual, and the school just assumes that everyone who wants to go to the sixth form will get in. That's being a little optimistic I think, with an entry requirement of 8Bs.. :p: I just really don't know what I'm going to do if I end up without a place anywhere. :s:

How many times do we have to tell you that you'll get in easily? :p: Look at your target grades!
Reply 8
kellywood_5
How many times do we have to tell you that you'll get in easily? :p: Look at your target grades!

Ahh but that's what my teachers think.. and as much as I trust them (and to my charming head of year- no; I am not undermining them :p:), I'm just not that confident. Plus I suppose you really should prepare for all eventualities, so I'm starting to regret not applying elsewhere.
Reply 9
The colleges I'm applying to want a personal statement and an interview! Some universities must ask for less than this, surely.

Most of them let everyone in so I wouldn't worry about it, they probably won't even read it. On one I wrote about two of my GCSEs that wouldn't fit on the form (they both only left space for ten, *******). Then, some rubbish about how I really like geography which was why I was taking biology and ecnomics too, and because I was applying to do GCSE photography as an extra I explained how it was because I wanted to keep it up as I enjoyed it but thought geograpgy was more important as my main area of study.

It's really not going to count for anything in the way it would for uni.
suuuuuuseh
Ahh but that's what my teachers think.. and as much as I trust them (and to my charming head of year- no; I am not undermining them :p:), I'm just not that confident. Plus I suppose you really should prepare for all eventualities, so I'm starting to regret not applying elsewhere.

Your target grades are all A*s and As except 1, so I seriously doubt your teachers will be so wrong that you won't even get 8 Bs! I did and my target grades were all Bs except for 2. You'll see when you get your mocks and predicted grades :p: Even if you didn't get in, which is just never going to happen, you can apply to most sixth forms and colleges on results day and still get in, so I wouldn't worry.
For my college interview i had to bring a CV and a personal statement with me as well as past certificates and records of achievements
Reply 12
kellywood_5
Your target grades are all A*s and As except 1, so I seriously doubt your teachers will be so wrong that you won't even get 8 Bs! I did and my target grades were all Bs except for 2. You'll see when you get your mocks and predicted grades :p: Even if you didn't get in, which is just never going to happen, you can apply to most sixth forms and colleges on results day and still get in, so I wouldn't worry.

You can still get in on results day? That's a relief- lots of the colleges made it seem like you have to apply months in advance for a place; and if not, you definitely wouldn't be able to get one.

And thanks :smile: plus we've still got 5ish months of revision left, so I suppose it might be alright if I put in the work now.
Reply 13
/\

Yeah I emailed one I'm applying to and they said it's only really the dance/drama/performing arts ones that have limited numbers of places, with the rest they just simple make more classes if they need to.
Someone actually turned up at my sixth form on the first day of Year 12 and got in lol.
Reply 15
kellywood_5
Someone actually turned up at my sixth form on the first day of Year 12 and got in lol.

My sixth form would probably do that :rolleyes:
At my school last year, anybody who had been a prefect automatically got in to sixth form. They didnt even have to write a letter. My friend is considering pretending that she doesn't want to go, and then waiting to see just how many teachers will fall at her feet and beg her to come...i wonder if she can make any money out of it...
Reply 17
smilingmaniac
At my school last year, anybody who had been a prefect automatically got in to sixth form. They didnt even have to write a letter. My friend is considering pretending that she doesn't want to go, and then waiting to see just how many teachers will fall at her feet and beg her to come...i wonder if she can make any money out of it...

I don't think teachers are that desperate :rolleyes: :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending