The Student Room Group

Should I become a webcam whore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by small.littlefish
Yeah a little, but I think I'd be okay with it actually like I said it's just in-case someone recognises me etc.

You'd be selling out if you do-no wonder you'd be ashamed of yourself if your friends and family found out.
My living costs are very cheap actually, I'm saving almost all my money but postgraduate degrees are very expensive. It'll take me a year if I'm lucky to save enough (minimum needed £6,000)

I think you'd be much happier with yourself in the long run doing that extra years saving and starting the postgrad 1 year later.
Unfortunately there is no quick way to earn. Personally im a bit like you in that i earn the money first to pay for things then do it instead of getting a load but would a loan for half or something work for you? just spitballing ideas here, sorry. Figured if i was going to tell you not to do the cam's i'd better try and be useful in coming up with another solution:redface:
I don't think that's fair. I'm not doing to buy a new car, or for a holiday.
I'm doing it to further my education. Without doing my postgraduate I'll probably be stuck working minimum wage forever.
I've been trying to save enough money for a year, working 2 jobs, 7 days per week cleaning toilets.

I think that's probably more degrading....

You could say that but once your foolish decision effect you in the future, you'd possibly consider things like this more. It's just ridiculous and it worries me that people exploit themselves just for a bit of money
Original post by Bill_Gates
how much?!

How much would you pay? :moon: And if you feel like you want to OP then go for it. But don't do it if you think it'll make you feel cheap etc.
You clean toilets it'll probably be a doddle.
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
I think you'd be much happier with yourself in the long run doing that extra years saving and starting the postgrad 1 year later.
Unfortunately there is no quick way to earn. Personally im a bit like you in that i earn the money first to pay for things then do it instead of getting a load but would a loan for half or something work for you? just spitballing ideas here, sorry. Figured if i was going to tell you not to do the cam's i'd better try and be useful in coming up with another solution:redface:

Thanks for your suggestions. I could save for 2 years, but it's so hard to work 2 jobs, having no money to go out out, no clothes, walking everywhere for 2 years, 1 year will be torture! I can't get a loan, I tried that already. I really have looked at every possibility for years.

I get your points though, I might not do it because I'd be pretty embarrassed.
Reply 26
Once you sell yourself to the public domain, there's no going back. Only proceed if you're okay with everyone finding out, including potential employers, partners and children.
Original post by quentinhamilton
You could say that but once your foolish decision effect you in the future, you'd possibly consider things like this more. It's just ridiculous and it worries me that people exploit themselves just for a bit of money

Yeah, I get your point. For example where I work now, if they found out I was web caming I might get sacked (could easily get another job in the same field though as it's a **** job!).

I feel like I'm already exploited now though, treated terribly, over-worked, high pressure, looked down on my society all for the minimum wage and may not be enough for my postgrad degree. At least with caming I can be my own boss. But yeah, point taken.
Given how you describe the job as 'webcam whore' you don't seem all that too into it. If you dislike the idea of it then don't do it.
Original post by Exon
Once you sell yourself to the public domain, there's no going back. Only proceed if you're okay with everyone finding out, including potential employers, partners and children.

oof didnt think of that, that would be a sticky conversation if your own kids found a vid of you online years later :/

Thanks for your suggestions. I could save for 2 years, but it's so hard to work 2 jobs, having no money to go out out, no clothes, walking everywhere for 2 years, 1 year will be torture! I can't get a loan, I tried that already. I really have looked at every possibility for years.

I get your points though, I might not do it because I'd be pretty embarrassed.

My only other suggestion would be try and get a better job/promotion, start the job search grind and see if theres anything you can do. Its a sucky situation, im saving right now as well so i know how you feel.
Original post by Exon

Yeah, your right. I will think about it a lot before I do it (if I do)
Yeah, I get your point. For example where I work now, if they found out I was web caming I might get sacked (could easily get another job in the same field though as it's a **** job!).

I feel like I'm already exploited now though, treated terribly, over-worked, high pressure, looked down on my society all for the minimum wage and may not be enough for my postgrad degree. At least with caming I can be my own boss. But yeah, point taken.

I'm not going to generalise however, I personally value money when I know that the making of it was worth it... If you're going to degrade yourself you might not be happy about the money you receive because of the process
I need to save money to fund a postgraduate degree, which I've been trying to do for a while now but it's almost impossible working minimum wage, even full time.

I've been looking for a side job to do that will fit around my current job, and I thought about phone sex line/or web caming.

Should I try phone sex/web cam? Is it worth it? I would feel embarrassed it anyone found out, which is likely, but I really need the money to fund my education.

yes. pm your details when you get set up!
Original post by quentinhamilton
I'm not going to generalise however, I personally value money when I know that the making of it was worth it... If you're going to degrade yourself you might not be happy about the money you receive because of the process

I don't think I will go through with caming to be honest. I might try phone lines but not sure about the money with that one, we'll see I guess. Just the thought someone can record it/share it around the internet is worrying enough. I actually have a boyfriend too and he probably wouldn't be happy with me doing it, but if I really needed the money he might be okay. I just really need to get this postgrad degree as I'm stuck with my current degree.
oof didnt think of that, that would be a sticky conversation if your own kids found a vid of you online years later :/

My only other suggestion would be try and get a better job/promotion, start the job search grind and see if theres anything you can do. Its a sucky situation, im saving right now as well so i know how you feel.

Thanks. In my stupid small northern city getting any job is so hard, took me ages to find a full time job and if I move I'll have to pay rent which will leave me with even less money. And my job is so **** that even if I became manager they pay 10p over the minmum wage. Disgusting!

But like I said, I don't think i'll do web caming to be honest, maybe try phone lines and just save, save and save for a year!!
Original post by Paladian
You'd be selling out if you do-no wonder you'd be ashamed of yourself if your friends and family found out.

I wouldn't be ashamed, but embarrassed. If it wasn't for the social stigma I don't really see a problem with it, but it may cause me problems at work/relationships etc. To be honest, my friends said they would never do the job I currently do, and that it's exploitation, and my family wouldn't be happy to be fair!
Original post by Precious Illusions
How much would you pay? :moon: And if you feel like you want to OP then go for it. But don't do it if you think it'll make you feel cheap etc.

how much do you want?!

(i love you)
Thanks. In my stupid small northern city getting any job is so hard, took me ages to find a full time job and if I move I'll have to pay rent which will leave me with even less money. And my job is so **** that even if I became manager they pay 10p over the minmum wage. Disgusting!

But like I said, I don't think i'll do web caming to be honest, maybe try phone lines and just save, save and save for a year!!

:frown: that sucks, start looking! you never know what will come along, plus its loads easier to get a job if you already have one (so im told) . Good luck with it though, I hope you get what you need

Also, just popped into my head, try applying for BT customer service, they pay REALLY well. they have a few centers up north. dunno if theres any near you, have a look on manpower
Original post by Bill_Gates
how much do you want?!

(i love you)

pfft you couldnt afford it :wink:

Edit: then again you are bill gates.... didnt think that one through.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
:frown: that sucks, start looking! you never know what will come along, plus its loads easier to get a job if you already have one (so im told) . Good luck with it though, I hope you get what you need

Also, just popped into my head, try applying for BT customer service, they pay REALLY well. they have a few centers up north. dunno if theres any near you, have a look on manpower

Thanks, I'll have a look!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending