The Student Room Group

I have nothing to put on my personal statement

Basically as the title says... I'm in year 12, 6 of my AS exams down and 3 left, and we've started talking about out personal statements in school, and I've realised I have NOTHING to put on it!

I went on a residential, 4 night team building trip with school at the end of year 9 and that's about it. I want to go into Biological Science, preferably Zoology or just general Biology.

Can anyone suggest some stuff I can do over the summer and the few months before UCAS deadlines in January?

Thank you in advance <3
Honestly you don't need to go on summer camps or get work experience etc. I used iTunes U, and downloaded a few podcasts to listen to. They took about two-three hours to listen to, and then I was able to put a few lines in my PS about how I really liked x podcast because it explored x subject. You can also talk about things in Biology A-level that interest you, and why, and potentially read a couple of books. I also mentioned reading New Scientist, and found an article off the website that interested me.
Work experience isn't essential but it does help you to stand out. As the above poster said, listening to podcasts, watching things on youtube and reading some books are good. You have till Jan of next year to write your personal statement so do look for some shadowing or work experience to help with your personal statement. It's good to show that you have a serious interest in the field and know what working in it is like.
Reply 3
I would recommend trying to get some experience to help your personal statement look slightly more impressive. Have a look at previous statements that have been done for your particular subject-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/category:tongue:ersonal_statements_by_subject#navapply

This will give you some ideas of what you could try and do. Also have a look and see how to make some general activities more relevant to what you are looking to do.
Hope this helps :smile:
I'm literally having the same problem! I will have to write my personal statement soon, and sadly haven't completed any real work experience, or similar acitivites that are linked to my subject interest. Although, like I think somebody else has said, wider reading should get you through. You really should be reading around your subject, watching documentaries, listening to podcasts etc. just because you simply enjoy your subject area!. Anyway, what I am saying is including wider knowledge, preference of books/films/podcasts/certain academics should make your personal statement seem fuller. :smile:
Reply 5
I think that is very true, general reading around the subject will help. If you can make it specific to your degree it will make you stand out and show a real interest.
But, I wouldn't worry about it until your exams are done. You have all of summer to get that organised.
A part time job in the summer will also help show that you are doing something productive with your time even if it isn't specific to your course.
Reply 6
Original post by LucieTeresa
Basically as the title says... I'm in year 12, 6 of my AS exams down and 3 left, and we've started talking about out personal statements in school, and I've realised I have NOTHING to put on it!

I went on a residential, 4 night team building trip with school at the end of year 9 and that's about it. I want to go into Biological Science, preferably Zoology or just general Biology.

Can anyone suggest some stuff I can do over the summer and the few months before UCAS deadlines in January?

Thank you in advance <3

If Zoology is what you want to go into I would recommend volunteering one day a week with places such as wildlife centres, the wildlife trust, the national trust, natural history museum, RSPB etc. I volunteered over the summer and as well as giving me something to write about it, I also really enjoyed it and got more of idea of what areas I am interested in :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending