The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have a degree the application is more heavily weighted on that than your other qualification unless they are specific to the job.
Original post by kandykissesxox
Just wanted to know, do employers favour the degree more or the a level grades? In the future I want to do a HR course

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's HR?
I thought you wanted to be an engineer? :hmmm:.
To answer your question,A levels would matter more.than your GCSEs,but your degree usually carries the most weight.
Rule of thumb: highest level of education is most important and most looked at.
So degree>A level>GCSE
I've never heard of an employer caring that much about A levels when the candidate has a degree, unless the job is either one of the grad schemes which still requires x points at A level, or they're being used to distinguish between two otherwise identical candidates. Oddly, GCSEs can sometimes be more important, specifically the usual requirement of a grade B/C in Maths and English. It's unusual for a job to require specific A level grades in the same way.

This isn't to say A levels are useless; some employers will still care about them (there are bound to be some who really care about them), and even those that don't really care will still see them on your CV.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What's HR?
I thought you wanted to be an engineer? :hmmm:.
To answer your question,A levels would matter more.than your GCSEs,but your degree usually carries the most weight.

Engineering may be out the window for me (I don't think i'll get the grades)
So yeah my back up is Human resources
Original post by Jacky Hearts
Rule of thumb: highest level of education is most important and most looked at.
So degree>A level>GCSE

and what if my a-levels are not so fantastic in the end?
Original post by russellsteapot
I've never heard of an employer caring that much about A levels when the candidate has a degree, unless the job is either one of the grad schemes which still requires x points at A level, or they're being used to distinguish between two otherwise identical candidates. Oddly, GCSEs can sometimes be more important, specifically the usual requirement of a grade B/C in Maths and English. It's unusual for a job to require specific A level grades in the same way.

This isn't to say A levels are useless; some employers will still care about them (there are bound to be some who really care about them), and even those that don't really care will still see them on your CV.

ah ok thank you! I'm just thinking the worst, I rung up some uni's today about engineering and HR but they all went to voice mail so I had to leave a message.
Engineering may be out the window for me (I don't think i'll get the grades)
So yeah my back up is Human resources

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get a E and still be accepted by unis to do engineering.
Original post by 8472
If you have a degree the application is more heavily weighted on that than your other qualification unless they are specific to the job.

I see, thank you :smile:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get a E and still be accepted by unis to do engineering.

I don't see how when chemistry is the main component and i feel as though i've messed up my chem unit 1 exam so bad theres actually no hope for me even obtaining a grade A now
Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me,what grades do you think you'll get for A level?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me,what grades do you think you'll get for A level?

well chemistry is heading for a C by the looks of it :frown: but yeah CBB
and what if my a-levels are not so fantastic in the end?

If you get a good degree it doesn't matter.
If you don't get a good degree then still might not matter unless you want an academic job. So for instance I want to be a joirnalist and eventually an editor, I'd need pretty strong qualications across the board for that. But if I wanted to go into business I wouldm't need academics. Experience and desperately trying to work my way up the (corrupt) corporate ladder would be more significant.
well chemistry is heading for a C by the looks of it :frown: but yeah CBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's pretty good . If you study hard during A2 and get equal or better grades,you can easily change that to AAB.
Unis like Loughborough and uclan will take you :smile:.Your grades aren't bad at all 😃.
I don't see how when chemistry is the main component and i feel as though i've messed up my chem unit 1 exam so bad theres actually no hope for me even obtaining a grade A now

Posted from TSR Mobile

You want to do chemical engineering?
Original post by Jacky Hearts
If you get a good degree it doesn't matter.
If you don't get a good degree then still might not matter unless you want an academic job. So for instance I want to be a joirnalist and eventually an editor, I'd need pretty strong qualications across the board for that. But if I wanted to go into business I wouldm't need academics. Experience and desperately trying to work my way up the (corrupt) corporate ladder would be more significant.

well I was planning to work my way up from the bottom anyway and do work experience alongside my uni degree :smile:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

You want to do chemical engineering?

yeah I would love to do chem engineering, i mean I'm definitely working hard but my motivation has seriously decreased thanks to chem :frown:
yeah I would love to do chem engineering, i mean I'm definitely working hard but my motivation has seriously decreased thanks to chem :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me,organic chemistry is more of the thing you'll do for chemical engineering.And the grade boundaries will be low for chemistry this year.

And your predicted grades for chemistry this year have exceeded hull requirements already.I'm also interested in chemical engineering :smile::wink:.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me,organic chemistry is more of the thing you'll do for chemical engineering.And the grade boundaries will be low for chemistry this year.

And your predicted grades for chemistry this year have exceeded hull requirements already.I'm also interested in chemical engineering :smile::wink:.

Haha I know I read your Bio:smile: and i hope so, i did every past paper thats the thing from 2000 :frown: seriously annoyed me

Latest