The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Triple Science, Your experiences?

I'm in Year 9 and I'm going to be doing the OCR GCSE Triple Science course. I wanna hear from people who have done triple science with this exam board and how difficult it is. Also I wanna hear from your experinces.
Btw, I wanna get A* in all .

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, it's pretty easy. It's a good opportunity to get more involved in science- if you are looking to do sciences at uni, then it would be better to be able to say that you have the individual science results. It gives you a good, if tenuous, grounding for AS-level.
Some parts are very boring, but that's mostly in C1 and P1, which you would be covering doing double, anyways.
I managed to enter the British system at the end of year 10, and I still got caught up fine, without really any extra effort. So, if you're worried about the difficulty, don't be. It's no harder than double, it's just slightly more work. I'd go for it if you are considering studying even one science at AS level!
Original post by kawehi
Honestly, it's pretty easy. It's a good opportunity to get more involved in science- if you are looking to do sciences at uni, then it would be better to be able to say that you have the individual science results. It gives you a good, if tenuous, grounding for AS-level.
Some parts are very boring, but that's mostly in C1 and P1, which you would be covering doing double, anyways.
I managed to enter the British system at the end of year 10, and I still got caught up fine, without really any extra effort. So, if you're worried about the difficulty, don't be. It's no harder than double, it's just slightly more work. I'd go for it if you are considering studying even one science at AS level!

Yep. I want to become a doctor one day.
Reply 3
Original post by IftekharAhad
Yep. I want to become a doctor one day.

Nice! It's great to have such high ambitions this early on! In that case, definitely take it, and just suffer through the slightly boring bits. You should be fine getting 3A*s in the exams, as long as you are willing to put in a few hours of memorisation!
Original post by kawehi
Nice! It's great to have such high ambitions this early on! In that case, definitely take it, and just suffer through the slightly boring bits. You should be fine getting 3A*s in the exams, as long as you are willing to put in a few hours of memorisation!

Thanks. You really are helpful. What did you get in triple science?
Reply 5
Thanks. You really are helpful. What did you get in triple science?

A*s in bio and chem, but an A in physics ugh... Mostly because I read the 6 marker or whatever wrong, so I did that and the following one completely incorrectly. Biggest exam screw-up of the year haha :redface:
My #1 tip is to do past papers, I didn't for any of my exams last year, but now I'm realising how helpful it would have been! I think most marks that I dropped were due to bad exam technique.
It really doesn't matter that much though, I'm doing Physics at AS currently, and most people in my class got As or Bs at GCSE and they're finding it fine!
Original post by kawehi
A*s in bio and chem, but an A in physics ugh... Mostly because I read the 6 marker or whatever wrong, so I did that and the following one completely incorrectly. Biggest exam screw-up of the year haha :redface:
My #1 tip is to do past papers, I didn't for any of my exams last year, but now I'm realising how helpful it would have been! I think most marks that I dropped were due to bad exam technique.
It really doesn't matter that much though, I'm doing Physics at AS currently, and most people in my class got As or Bs at GCSE and they're finding it fine!

You did it with OCR?
Reply 7
You did it with OCR?

Yep!
Original post by kawehi
Yep!

Did you find it realy easy? Also are there any youtubers who do videos on ocr gcse science?
Reply 9
Did you find it realy easy? Also are there any youtubers who do videos on ocr gcse science?

Yes, I did. I didn't do any revision besides the night before each of my exams, and the questions are so self explanatory you could probably do the exams now and get Cs. Really, I wouldn't worry about it. GCSEs are shockingly easy, especially looking back on them. For most people, I think that the hard part is coming to grips with exam techniques and organising information. You seem like a really motivated kid, so you should be completely fine! Are you aiming for Oxbridge medicine?
Original post by kawehi
Yes, I did. I didn't do any revision besides the night before each of my exams, and the questions are so self explanatory you could probably do the exams now and get Cs. Really, I wouldn't worry about it. GCSEs are shockingly easy, especially looking back on them. For most people, I think that the hard part is coming to grips with exam techniques and organising information. You seem like a really motivated kid, so you should be completely fine! Are you aiming for Oxbridge medicine?

I want to study medicine at UCL hopefully just like my sister . :tongue:
Reply 11
I want to study medicine at UCL hopefully just like my sister . :tongue:

That would be so much fun, it's a great course!! :smile:
I have one piece of advice, however. With medicine, while it is ultra-competitive, it's also hugely about showing passion and getting good work experience. Instead of thinking about revising for GCSEs, I think that if you wanted to make the best application possible, you should be learning as much as you can about things you love. Khan Academy has great resources for anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and pathology. This summer, (in addition to enjoying being a 14 year old :wink:) try to check some of those videos out. You'll learn some really interesting things, and it'll probably lead you onto even more exciting fields. Who knows, maybe you decide that medicine isn't for you in the long run.
One of the advantages of being relatively young, but highly motivated, is that you have a huge advantage over your peers in terms of what you can accomplish now. There are loads of competitions that you can enter, too. You should really think of GCSEs as just another way to prove to universities that you are an excellent candidate, but if you think about it, everyone has them! And there are actually quite a lot of people that get very competitive grades (7A*+). Use this time not to focus on GCSEs, but to expand who you are as a person!! Learn languages! Teach yourself heart depolarisation! There's so much to do that's much more interesting than GCSEs!

PS, sorry for the long post, got a bit carried away :smile:
Original post by kawehi
That would be so much fun, it's a great course!! :smile:
I have one piece of advice, however. With medicine, while it is ultra-competitive, it's also hugely about showing passion and getting good work experience. Instead of thinking about revising for GCSEs, I think that if you wanted to make the best application possible, you should be learning as much as you can about things you love. Khan Academy has great resources for anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and pathology. This summer, (in addition to enjoying being a 14 year old :wink:) try to check some of those videos out. You'll learn some really interesting things, and it'll probably lead you onto even more exciting fields. Who knows, maybe you decide that medicine isn't for you in the long run.
One of the advantages of being relatively young, but highly motivated, is that you have a huge advantage over your peers in terms of what you can accomplish now. There are loads of competitions that you can enter, too. You should really think of GCSEs as just another way to prove to universities that you are an excellent candidate, but if you think about it, everyone has them! And there are actually quite a lot of people that get very competitive grades (7A*+). Use this time not to focus on GCSEs, but to expand who you are as a person!! Learn languages! Teach yourself heart depolarisation! There's so much to do that's much more interesting than GCSEs!

PS, sorry for the long post, got a bit carried away :smile:

Well GCSEs are the most imprortant grades for getting good jobs such as these right?
Reply 13
I'm in Year 9 and I'm going to be doing the OCR GCSE Triple Science course. I wanna hear from people who have done triple science with this exam board and how difficult it is. Also I wanna hear from your experinces.
Btw, I wanna get A* in all .

Thanks.

Heey I am currently doing the ocr triple course, I got an A* in biology last year and hope to get A*s in chemistry and physics. It's not that hard, triple is actually a good opportunity to gain extra GCSEs and its a lot of fun. However, you need to be willing to put the time in and revise. Personally i find triple quite fun and good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Well GCSEs are the most imprortant grades for getting good jobs such as these right?

Not really. They just help to differentiate candidates for university. If you can get 7-8A*+, then you are considered a great applicant. When you get to applying for jobs, nobody is going to ask you for your GCSEs. It's all about where you went to uni, and what work experience and recommendations you have.
Reply 15
Yes OCR is good for triple science - I am doing them right now and sat the first GCSE Biology paper last week, which was OK - but had a lot of calculations in which I didn't like even though I am good at maths.

You will be OK if you are devoted - certainly if you want to do medicine you must do triple science no doubt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16

Take a look at this page. UCL is near the bottom.
As you can see, a lot of people are getting in with 7-10A*s, and plenty of people are being rejected with 10A*s. GCSEs aren't everything!
Original post by kawehi
Take a look at this page. UCL is near the bottom.
As you can see, a lot of people are getting in with 7-10A*s, and plenty of people are being rejected with 10A*s. GCSEs aren't everything!

So if someone gets a B grade in one of their gcse subjects will they be rejected?
Reply 18
So if someone gets a B grade in one of their gcse subjects will they be rejected?

Not at all! Every application is considered individually, and GCSEs are only ONE factor that is considered when making a decision.
Original post by kawehi
Not at all! Every application is considered individually, and GCSEs are only ONE factor that is considered when making a decision.

Alright. Suppose I get 10A* and 1B. Will that "B" affect my chances into getting into UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest