The Student Room Group

Travelling the world alone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatGurl
Great minds think alike!

Haha yeah :smile:
Original post by nataliej2609
They're just really ugly. I know this may sound incredibly ridiculous and stupid to some people but I just hate them.

Hahaha travelling doesn't need to be a fashion statement though. You would definitely appreciate being able to sling everything onto your back than having to drag it around it a suitcase, or over one shoulder if you opt for one of those "weekender" things.

Though you haven't really said how you're gonna go about the travelling. Like booking hotels or hostels? If it's hotels or similar, suitcase wouldn't be too bad because you can leave your stuff there, but you wouldn't wanna be leaving your things behind to explore if you went through hostels, or you know camping in the warmer places, so you'd be having to carry your stuff with you at all times.
Original post by blackened_sky
Hahaha travelling doesn't need to be a fashion statement though. You would definitely appreciate being able to sling everything onto your back than having to drag it around it a suitcase, or over one shoulder if you opt for one of those "weekender" things.

Though you haven't really said how you're gonna go about the travelling. Like booking hotels or hostels? If it's hotels or similar, suitcase wouldn't be too bad because you can leave your stuff there, but you wouldn't wanna be leaving your things behind to explore if you went through hostels, or you know camping in the warmer places, so you'd be having to carry your stuff with you at all times.

I'll mostly be staying at hostels but for some of the places Im going to, I'm staying there longer than the others so I'm getting a hotel at them places.
Reply 23
I want to travel the world but I hate backpacks and I dont want to take a suitcase as I dont need to take a lot so I was just wondering if there was any other types of bags that I could take instead? Also if any of you have traveled the world alone and what you think of it. Thanks

I travelled alone, took a backpack that conveniently had wheels (Osprey is a good brand, and if you're worried about how it looks, it's very smart for a backpack), and it opens like a suitcase so you're not having to take everything out to reach the bottom of your pack etc.
My advice would be get something you can put on your back, depending on where you're planning on going of course, some of the places I visited had very bumpy paths, a lot of getting in and out of boats, climbing lots of stairs/hills etc which would have been a nightmare had I not been able to carry my stuff on my back!
I met a few people whilst I was away that originally came with suitcases and swapped them in shops for backpacks (again, depending on where you are travelling, they have shops where you can do this for cheap).

Aside from the backpack situation, travelling alone is incredible and the best way to do it in my opinion! Good luck!
I want to travel the world but I hate backpacks and I dont want to take a suitcase as I dont need to take a lot so I was just wondering if there was any other types of bags that I could take instead? Also if any of you have traveled the world alone and what you think of it. Thanks

Hi Natalie,

I spent six months living in China. I was advised to take a backpack and it was just awful! I ended up buying a suitcase out there. I definitely recommend something with wheels. It does depend where you are going, but typically people lose a lot of weight whilst travelling and you may not be strong enough to carry all your stuff. you will also pick up souvenirs along the way, and if you are travelling round the world you will encounter different seasons, so may have quite a lot of clothes.

my friend spent three months travelling round Asia. She loved it, but says she wished she had someone to share the memories with.

hope this is helpful!
Reply 25
Get a suitcase and a waist bag. You leave the suitcase with your clothes in your hotel/hostel/wherever you're staying and carry with you only the essentials(money, phone, documents) in the waist bag.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest