The Student Room Group

Be honest, when you meet a guy/girl?

Scroll to see replies

Looks first,personality second..
Then maybe back account too
Original post by Crystalz
See this is what makes me worry with guys.
Does this mean guys are only friends with you because your looks aren't up to scratch

Why does this worry you? It means a guy enjoys your personality. Would you rather a guy hangs around with you becuase you are good looking.
Original post by Jibola240
Why does this worry you? It means a guy enjoys your personality. Would you rather a guy hangs around with you becuase you are good looking.

No but i wouldn't want to be someone's friend simply because they felt i wasn't attractive enough for them to date.
No but i wouldn't want to be someone's friend simply because they felt i wasn't attractive enough for them to date.

I'm still a little confused on why this is a bad thing. If I found a girl I like a lot personality-wise, but can't get pass the fact that I don't find her physically attractive, so decide against trying to date her. Is it wrong if I remain friends with this girl anyway?
Original post by Jibola240
I'm still a little confused on why this is a bad thing. If I found a girl I like a lot personality-wise, but can't get pass the fact that I don't find her physically attractive, so decide against trying to date her. Is it wrong if I remain friends with this girl anyway?

I think it's a bit wrong that someone can be absolutely perfect for you in every way but you refuse to date them due to their looks. I think it's just because i find that if i find someone's personality attractive i start to find the person physically attractive. I think it's something you should be able to get past.
I can understand where you're coming from though, physical attractiveness is important but i would personally be offended if a guy wanted to be close friends with me simply because he did not find me attractive enough to date.

Nevertheless all's fair in love and war so whatever right? Each to their own.
i think looks just make people more interested and as such more willing to get to know your personality quicker. But i'd imagine if you get to know someones personality without their looks being a part in it you will find them more attractive in time? I'd be surprised if someone could be happy with someone who they disliked but was super hot
Initially looks then personality comes into play, the latter definitely carries more weight to me! :smile:
I think it's a bit wrong that someone can be absolutely perfect for you in every way but you refuse to date them due to their looks. I think it's just because i find that if i find someone's personality attractive i start to find the person physically attractive. I think it's something you should be able to get past.
I can understand where you're coming from though, physical attractiveness is important but i would personally be offended if a guy wanted to be close friends with me simply because he did not find me attractive enough to date.

I just feel that when you want a romantic relationship with someone, then looks would obviously be an important factor(it's a physical relationship after all), thus why I wouldn't date a girl I found ugly despite the fact she is perfect for me. It's just seems like in that case, a friendship is the superior option. Nothing wrong with a platonic relationship. That way I can enjoy her personality without any physical stuff involved. But, as you say each to their own.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Iloveuuu
Do you like them because they are good looking, or their personality is amazing? - I don't understand people, the majority always say looks and it really pisses me off.

I can't begin to like someone who I feel the urge to look away from.
If I am forced to, circumstantially (work or something), and I get to know them and like as it's happened before I can like this person but I still dunno if it'll become romantic.

I see looks and style, the whole package, and I love a woman who smells good and I love smiles and pretty teeth, big eyes, nice makeup, shiny soft hair. She got a lil purse too. Oh god yes. And if I see that, and get to know her, and she's an idiot or not particularly interesting or evil or out of her mind or something, I'm not gonna stick around for that unless we're married or have kids within marriage or not.
Anyone who says personality first is trying too hard. You can't get an impression for attraction off personality. You see their looks first. it's just the brain. You're not a bad person liking looks. It's if you stay with someone despite their lacking character because of their looks, or keep wanting to be with someone because of their looks and you don't even know them.
Weirdly enough for me, It was eyes, the guy I'm currently with, when I first met him I noticed his green eyes with blue in one of them, It just entranced me and he always has a loving look, eyes can say a lot about a person, also he's just a dork and his humour is lovely.
Well looks are something you see straight away but once you get to know a person their personality plays a bigger role. (for me anyway)
Reply 32
Original post by Iloveuuu
Do you like them because they are good looking, or their personality is amazing? - I don't understand people, the majority always say looks and it really pisses me off.

The reality is we are all human and sadly all a little shallow. I am not in any way saying we all value looks but it is attraction that makes us strike up conversation or stir up some feelings. Loads of people find a variety of looks attractive , some like the conventional tall muscles and tanned while other prefer the pale and slim. It's all down to our own individual preferences. But looks really aren't exactly the only reason you like someone , I mean most of us want to actually get along with the person and have some form of compatibility.

In this world though Iv'e seen girls and guys only talk to each other based on their appearances only to realise what a complete bore they both are. So looks are what pull in but personality is what keeps you interested.
Reply 33

First of all let's all assume were all healthy sexually active young adults. You have every right to be offended but what if a guy liked you but you didn't find him sexually attractive?
I doubt you would scrap a friendship on the basis of unrequited feelings.

Sexual attraction is important to everyone , if you don't feel yourself wanting to jump his or her bones in a endearing way of course. Then it's not going to work , you wouldn't want to say he's nice that's the most boring way to describe someone.

But that's my take on it though.
Reply 34
I'm attracted to girls almost totally based on looks. But if we're talking about a relationship, then of course I need to like their personality too.
Initially, looks. If you're physically attracted to someone, you're more inclined to want to get to know them. Then you find out whether they have a good personality or not.

However, if it's a case of whether you're friends with the person first..getting to know their personality as a friend can lead to physical attraction in the long run.

But a relationship won't last if you have one and not the other.
I think it's too do with people's experiences. For me, I've been around those dashing looks (both genders) and have found nothing substantial or sometimes likeable in them. Just as I've been around not-so good-looking people and have found the same. So for me, personality is a bigger deciding factor than looks, though I don't expect anybody to be with someone if they don't find them physically attracted. However, some don't give personality a chance, which can actually make someone more physically attracted. For those looking for something that will last until the end of their days, I can't see how looks can be more important when they obviously fade. There has been a million gazillion good-looking people before them and will be long after :tongue: xx
Looks are nice but personality is definitely more important :yep: It actually is. And sex.
I need to find them physically attractive sure but it's their personality that 'gets' me, if we can chat easily, make each other laugh, then that's a huge turn on for me and my attraction becomes a lot stronger. There is a difference though, like I have guy friends who do make me laugh a lot and we can chat but we are just friends & I don't find them physically attractive.... so I guess the looks element has to be there. Looks can be anything though, I've never liked that stereotypical look some girls go for (muscly, tall dark handsome, etc) so I think it strongly depends on personality, for me anyway.
Reply 39
I need to find a certain level of attractiveness in the person to start with, then personality plays a role cause you don't want to spend your life with someone who is pretty and not like their personality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending