The Student Room Group

Need some girl help - then pull Cerelle.

Hiya loves!
So I have been put on Cerelle to put a stop to heavy periods as they cause me a lot of misery. Very heavy and painful, I started them just coming up to a month now and started taking it on the first day of my period. I bled for a week as normal, then about 4 days later I came on again but it was a lot heavier, this one lasted for a week also.

I just wanted to know is this normal? As I have been put on this pill to help stop my periods I didn't expect to have a period just five days after my normal period. Do i just need to be on this pill longer before it begins to work? Are irregular periods normal until the pill starts workings properly? I'm really confused with it all!

Many thanks
Nenah xxx
cerelle can cause a lot of irregular bleeding when you start it, generally if its not evened out by 3 months you should try something else. Is there a reasons your on a pop instead of combined pill? combined ones are generally much better for regulating your cycle
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
cerelle can cause a lot of irregular bleeding when you start it, generally if its not evened out by 3 months you should try something else. Is there a reasons your on a pop instead of combined pill? combined ones are generally much better for regulating your cycle

As long as what I'm experiencing is normal im happy to give another two month. I'm not sure to be honest I was just told combined aren't as healthy, something about the increase risk in breast cancer?

So Cerelle can be used am I right to help stop periods? & also, if Cerelle doesn't work, could then a combined pill help to stop my periods?

Thanks so much for helping xxx
Original post by NenahVF
As long as what I'm experiencing is normal im happy to give another two month. I'm not sure to be honest I was just told combined aren't as healthy, something about the increase risk in breast cancer?

So Cerelle can be used am I right to help stop periods? & also, if Cerelle doesn't work, could then a combined pill help to stop my periods?

Thanks so much for helping xxx

they only increase the risk a small amount. Cerelle can do that but it varies and i think it does for a third of people that take it,for me it did for a year but then gave me horrendous irregular bleeding after that so i stopped it. its worth a try but if after 3 months it hasnt stopped your periods and theres no medical reasons to not take a combined one then try a combined one instead.
Im having a bad time on it, started taking it 3/4 weeks after child birth.
I stopped bleeding after then a week later s very heavy period arrived. Had a week or two break then bled for ten days just had a week with no bleeding and I'm bleeding again, i have one months worth left but thinking of changing if this irregular frequent bleeding is happening its making me hate my body!

Any advice welcome 😊
I was put on cerelle as I can't take the combined pill anymore due to migraines, my periods seem quite regulated from the first pill, I had a week bleed the first week, then a two day random bleed, and a month on from the first bleed I had another pretty normal period! I don't mind a tiny bleed in between, I've had no side effects from it which I had with other contraception, just give it the three months to see if it helps and if not, try the combined pill if possible!
Reply 6
I was put on Cerelle in January (age 55) to reduce very heavy but regular periods. They were ridiculously heavy and getting worse, so it has relieved this. However, now very irregular and although it varies there is some bleeding on about 14 of every 28 days (in fact, 26 out of past 28 - I have 2 months of Cerelle left but may revisit nurse before then...)
Reply 7
I was put on cerelle as the combined pill was giving me migraines. My first period was normal then a couple days later I came in again for about a week but since then haven't had a period just a bit of spotting. However I have had horrible weight gain almost 7lb and still seems to be going up rapidly! I really hoping it calms down and I can start loosing it as I can't really afford to be putting on anymore weight! Anyone else had this?
Reply 8
Original post by Jessmh93
I was put on cerelle as the combined pill was giving me migraines. My first period was normal then a couple days later I came in again for about a week but since then haven't had a period just a bit of spotting. However I have had horrible weight gain almost 7lb and still seems to be going up rapidly! I really hoping it calms down and I can start loosing it as I can't really afford to be putting on anymore weight! Anyone else had this?

I've also gained weight since being on cerelle , I haven't particularly changed my diet (I don't eat junk for days like I used to on my period!). I was worried it was just me! Mines around the 7lbs mark and I've been on it for 4 months now

Quick Reply

Latest