The Student Room Group

Would someone with aspergers be ok in this career?

Is physiotherapy a suitable career for someone with Asperger's syndrome do you know? I tried nursing but hate it with all the multitasking and gossip that goes on in the team. I spent some time with a physio and they seem to work a little more individually than nurses do and don't seem to have the same stress as multitasking. I've always been interested in health/biology I aimed to get on physio at college but didn't get the grades. Not sure whether do aim for it now or is it not a good career to go for if someone is very quiet and is not very chatty?
Are you only looking at medical careers? What qualifications do you have? I always think it's good to start from what you're good at and what you enjoy, rather than picking a job and seeing if you can fit yourself into it, does that make any sense? For most health workers a lot of the job is about relationships and teamwork. Have you considered caring for an individual in their own home? Care work is overlooked and very rewarding.
Impossible to answer. Your Aspergers isn;t going to the same as everyone elses.
Reply 3
I agree with OU student, everyone's who has asperger's symptoms can differ. From what I've read though, if you prefer individual working tasks instead of a rather cliquey environment than physio sounds like the one for you :smile: (from an asperger's person) :3
Reply 4
Original post by Samwin
I agree with OU student, everyone's who has asperger's symptoms can differ. From what I've read though, if you prefer individual working tasks instead of a rather cliquey environment than physio sounds like the one for you :smile: (from an asperger's person) :3

Yea just realised it's a bit of a daft question as it deoends on the person and also where you work too. I guess what I meant is I find it hard to deal with jobs which rely heavily on chit chat/social skills and where there is lots of gossip among staff. I'm fine with talking a little but when it's all the time it just drains me and takes me a while to figure out what people are talking about. I've always been interested in physio but worry I'll regret it if it's a similar environment to nursing. I'll probably get some more experience in it and then re consider.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest