The Student Room Group

Student Finance - Retaking half of third year due to medical issues

Hey,

I have recently been suffering with a cyst on my brain, increased intracranial pressure and suspected MS, as a result I have been unable to complete all of my exams and assignments this year.

If I was to continue a 4th year of study as a part time student completing only the 3 modules I have failed to complete this year, as I started as a full-time student, will I be entitled to maintenance loan/grant?

Thanks
Original post by georgem93
Hey,

I have recently been suffering with a cyst on my brain, increased intracranial pressure and suspected MS, as a result I have been unable to complete all of my exams and assignments this year.

If I was to continue a 4th year of study as a part time student completing only the 3 modules I have failed to complete this year, as I started as a full-time student, will I be entitled to maintenance loan/grant?

Thanks

In general, Student Finance will cover you for the length of your study plus 1 year, to allow for issues. However, specifically in your case, you should be able to apply with "compelling personal reasons". You should speak with a representative at your university for this, as applications made with the university tend to be more successful.

Here's a piece one university created on the topic:

http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/fees/financial-support/resources/compelling-personal-reasons.pdf
Reply 2
Hello OP,

Please be aware of the following before considering any funding from FutureFinance:

- The quoted APR rate is relatively high compared to other long-term loan offers. Your bank will almost certainly be able to provide a better interest rate.
- FutureFinance will charge you 6.5% of the total loan amount just to set it up. This is extremely high compared to most companies who have no setup charges.
- You can be charged £10 per letter if they need to contact you with regards to late repayments
- Should you run into financial difficulty; FutureFinance will pursue the loan from your guarantor. This could result in them being taken to court. Most other finance options do not require a guarantor and debt can be written off if you are struggling to repay it.

I strongly recommend you consider other financing options

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending