The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can players still earn lots of points if their team loses a game? I'm trying to work out if I should bench the players who I think will be in losing games, irrespective of how good their performance might be. Is this the right way to do things, or is it still profitable to play players who might be on the losing team but play really well?
Original post by Reluire
Can players still earn lots of points if their team loses a game? I'm trying to work out if I should bench the players who I think will be in losing games, irrespective of how good their performance might be. Is this the right way to do things, or is it still profitable to play players who might be on the losing team but play really well?

I'd suggest reading the rules before you pick a team.
Original post by Reluire

Look up what earns the players points (and what they can lose points for).

Effectively for strikers and midfield players, you're looking at goals and assists and for defenders you're looking at clean sheets (and also goals and assists). Any player can pick up bonus points too.

You're better off having a player who is the main focal point of an average team and who contributes the most than having a fringe player for a better team. If a team loses 4-3 but your striker on the losing side scores a hattrick, he'll pick up a lot of points.

Picking up below 4 points (you can get minus points) is not great, picking up 5-10 points is pretty decent and anything above 10 points from one player in a week is very good.

The average points per week varies massively but usually you're looking between 50-70 points from 11 players (captain gets double points) for a par score.

Pick defenders from teams who will keep clean sheets in those gameweeks and pick attacking players who will be directly involved with goals/assists.
Original post by little_wizard123
I'd suggest reading the rules before you pick a team.

Having just looked over the official ones, it doesn't seem to matter too much if the player is on the winning side or not. Am I right in thinking this?

Original post by Zerforax
Look up what earns the players points (and what they can lose points for).

Effectively for strikers and midfield players, you're looking at goals and assists and for defenders you're looking at clean sheets (and also goals and assists). Any player can pick up bonus points too.

You're better off having a player who is the main focal point of an average team and who contributes the most than having a fringe player for a better team. If a team loses 4-3 but your striker on the losing side scores a hattrick, he'll pick up a lot of points.

Picking up below 4 points (you can get minus points) is not great, picking up 5-10 points is pretty decent and anything above 10 points from one player in a week is very good.

The average points per week varies massively but usually you're looking between 50-70 points from 11 players (captain gets double points) for a par score.

Pick defenders from teams who will keep clean sheets in those gameweeks and pick attacking players who will be directly involved with goals/assists.

Thanks for the helpful info. :yy:
Original post by Reluire
Having just looked over the official ones, it doesn't seem to matter too much if the player is on the winning side or not. Am I right in thinking this?

Yeh, it means nothing. Concentrate on goals, assists and clean sheets.
My first year too, seems to me defenders wise probably better to sub in someone even if their average but in a team you think can keep a clean sheet that week (say Everton v Watford and the latter are on a poor run), where as strikers aren't such a big issue, as it's common to score but not win. That said I have subbed Benteke out for...Callum Wilson, my boy is gonna score multiple against Villa where as Stoke gonna shut Tekkers out, you readz it ere first.

Still gonna be bottom of group C knowing me lol.
Ffs I'm tinkering way too much lol, still another 2 whole days left after today Aswell :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Ffs I'm tinkering way too much lol, still another 2 whole days left after today Aswell :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I'm obsessed, just when I think I'm happy with my team, the next day I come back and make more changes if I've read something in a team analysis article or something, c'mon season, just start lol! :angry:

My latest dilemma, this Dimitri Payet at West Ham, anyone got him? 7 goals, 21 assists and 135 goalscoring chances created, more than any other player in Europe last year (albeit in the French league), West Ham fans think he's going to be brilliant for them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Still really want both Depay and Rooney but it's such a big portion of the budget for two players from the same team. I'm hoping Depay is going to light up the league but now Rooney will be the out and out striker for United. Such a toughie.
Original post by Olie
Same, I'm obsessed, just when I think I'm happy with my team, the next day I come back and make more changes if I've read something in a team analysis article or something, c'mon season, just start lol! :angry:

My latest dilemma, this Dimitri Payet at West Ham, anyone got him? 7 goals, 21 assists and 135 goalscoring chances created, more than any other player in Europe last year (albeit in the French league), West Ham fans think he's going to be brilliant for them.

Damn you now I will be trying to fit him in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirMasterKey
Still really want both Depay and Rooney but it's such a big portion of the budget for two players from the same team. I'm hoping Depay is going to light up the league but now Rooney will be the out and out striker for United. Such a toughie.

I'll probably go for Rooney since being a proven fpl point scorer but Depay at 8.5 looks tasty :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Damn you now I will be trying to fit him in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol sorry :colondollar:

But me too possibly! Though I might wait a bit to see how he does in his first few games in the PL.
Original post by Olie
Lol sorry :colondollar:

But me too possibly! Though I might wait a bit to see how he does in his first few games in the PL.

Yeah fancy Arsenal to keep a clean sheet against them, after that I'll see how he does for a few games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll probably go for Rooney since being a proven fpl point scorer but Depay at 8.5 looks tasty :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed he does however working around I think my side looks better without Depay.

Can now field a forward line of

Hazard, Sterling, Henderson, Carzola
Rooney, Kane

:coma:

I could go back for a Kane> Pelle and Sterling>Silva
Will have 3 at the back with two regs and then a choice of three 4.5m for the other defender that week. Then Barry and Deeney.
What's the deal with the Pelle picks? Im assuming he had a very good preseason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gob Bluth

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 goals in last 3 games I believe.
Original post by Gob Bluth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saints have a decent start to the season as well.
Reply 397
Kane and Steven Fletcher or Pelle and Berahino? Kane/Pelle will play every game while Fletcher/Berahino will play maybe half
Quick question, is the formation fixed at 4-4-2, can't see an obvious button to switch to 4-3-3 say, which another league I'm in lets you do.
Original post by joey11223
Quick question, is the formation fixed at 4-4-2, can't see an obvious button to switch to 4-3-3 say, which another league I'm in lets you do.

You need to switch your team around to change the formations. So you can add a defender in place of a midfielder to make it 5-3-2 formation.

Latest