The Student Room Group

Book recommendations for Geology at university

Hi,

I will be applying to university this year (for 2016 entry) to study Geology with Geophysics and would like some books to read in order to prepare for the first year, any suggestions?
Original post by VeganAstronomer
Hi,

I will be applying to university this year (for 2016 entry) to study Geology with Geophysics and would like some books to read in order to prepare for the first year, any suggestions?

Some good books that I enjoyed include:
-The Two Mile Time Machine (one of the best books I've ever read, read this if you're interested in climate)
-The Goldilocks Planet (a good, comprehensive overview of environmental change over the history of the earth)
-How to Build a Habitable Planet (probably the most comprehensive book you're going to find about the Earth Sciences that isn't a textbook, but it's not easy reading. I recommend it but be prepared to skip stuff. FYI, this is first year reading at Oxford.)
-The Planet in a Pebble (by the same author of The Goldilocks Planet, a different perspective on a similar topic)
-The Earth After Us (by the same author of The Goldilocks Planet, looking at what would remain of human civilization 100 million years in the future)
-The Earth: An intimate History (it's been a long time since I've read this but it's probably one of the classic popular science books on the subject)
-Supercontinent (another classic popular science book on geology)

I'd particularly recommend the ones in bold (those are the two books I mentioned in my personal statement) but that is partially because of my particular interest in environmental change. All of these books are very good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Some good books that I enjoyed include:
-The Two Mile Time Machine (one of the best books I've ever read, read this if you're interested in climate)
-The Goldilocks Planet (a good, comprehensive overview of environmental change over the history of the earth)
-How to Build a Habitable Planet (probably the most comprehensive book you're going to find about the Earth Sciences that isn't a textbook, but it's not easy reading. I recommend it but be prepared to skip stuff. FYI, this is first year reading at Oxford.)
-The Planet in a Pebble (by the same author of The Goldilocks Planet, a different perspective on a similar topic)
-The Earth After Us (by the same author of The Goldilocks Planet, looking at what would remain of human civilization 100 million years in the future)
-The Earth: An intimate History (it's been a long time since I've read this but it's probably one of the classic popular science books on the subject)
-Supercontinent (another classic popular science book on geology)

I'd particularly recommend the ones in bold (those are the two books I mentioned in my personal statement) but that is partially because of my particular interest in environmental change. All of these books are very good.

Ok, thank you very much. I will look into those :smile:
Original post by VeganAstronomer
Hi,

Hey :smile: where are you applying?

To get an overall understanding, like from a textbook, I'd reccomend
Understanding Earth, John Grotzinger
Geoscience, Dee Edwards
Geological Science, Andrew Mcleish
OCR Geology textbook

Any one of those will give you an overview of most of the main aspects of geology that you'll learn in First year - I wouldnt worry too much about learning much of it - if you've done geology before, first year won't be overly difficult, and if you haven't, first year is deisgned to get everyone to the same standard so they'll start at the beginnning with you! :smile:

Oh also, you can get any of those textbooks for under £10, from amazon or waterstones market place. I wouldn't bother getting the most up to date edition as thatll be more expensive!

Our recommended reading had Understanding Earth, so everyone paid £30+ for a latest edition copy, and I dont think anyone has found it that useful - I got an older edition fo £2, and haven't used it :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending