The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Becca
Varies from college to college but generally, you get there on the first day, meet other applicants, go for tea, get a tour of the college, there will probably be some activities for you, then you might get a tour of Durham, go out maybe.
Then the next day you'll go to your department open day and see what that's like. :smile:

Thankyou :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
how did you guys all hear about the open days? through the mail or did you ring them up or what?
thanks x
Reply 22
Normally they send you a form to fill in for the open day with your offer.
I'll be at Hatfield 20/21st :smile:
Reply 24
NickiM
I *think* but can't quite remember that I'm going to be at Trevelyan on 19-20 March.

ditto:smile:
Reply 25
Yay, another Trevs person!
Reply 26
Open days are a little like 24 hours in the day of a student. You stay in student accomodation, have a few introductory talks, eat dinner in the dining hall, go out on the town in the evening (most get slaughtered with the Freshers' Reps) and have sample lectures/tutorials the next day. It's so fabulous that I did it twice!
Reply 27
NickiM
Yay, another Trevs person!

Yay! :biggrin:

and following Jelkins post - when you come on the open day although many people do drink, you will not be encouraged to drink!! In fact, many people will be under 18 and so will be discouraged from drinking. Though there's always ways around it if you so wish :wink:
Reply 28
:redface:....yes, this might sound a bit odd, but I'm not really a drinking person....and I'll be 17 still....but I don't want to seem strange :redface: :redface: :redface:
Reply 29
No seriously it's not odd at all - there are SOOO many people at Durham who aren't big drinkers trust me! And in the evening of the Open Day some reps will take people out to town and other reps will stay in college watching a movie or something like that with people who would rather stay in!

There is really no pressure at all to go out and drink!

Plus last year, for those people who maybe weren't able to get into the club everyone was going to (for "lack of ID") I took a group to a bar for a few drinks instead where they didn't ask for ID. It was really cool, we had a little breakoff group and a few chilled drinks rather than going to a club!

Anyway, there are plenty of options for you, so don't worry :biggrin:
Reply 30
Oh good. I just don't want to feel like the only person, or be seen as the weird one!

Watching a movie would be cool, or even just going out to a bar with a small group would be good. Is it well organised?

I've been looking at the Trevs website tonight, and I'm so excited. It's not til March though :frown:
Reply 31
NickiM
Oh good. I just don't want to feel like the only person, or be seen as the weird one!

Watching a movie would be cool, or even just going out to a bar with a small group would be good. Is it well organised?

I've been looking at the Trevs website tonight, and I'm so excited. It's not til March though :frown:

You won't be the only person - I'd say about 60% of the Open Day students go out into town, maybe 70%....and then the rest will stay in and maybe have some drinks from the college bar or as I say watch a movie or something :smile:

As for well organised...hmmm...well it IS as in we'll say "OK a few reps stay in and watch a movie, play some games, and some reps go out to town" and then we'll just make it up as we go really because it depends on what YOU all want to do. We're not gonna go "Hey we're all watching this movie now!!" when you just want to chill and chat to other people :smile:
Reply 32
Dobbs is right. I was merely recalling my own drunken fun-filled experience. But loads of people don't drink too much.
What do you mean by tickets ?
I sent a form of for the chads open day but have recieved any tickets ?
Sorry if im being stupid :smile:
Reply 34
^ Me too, I've not got any...unless they mean train tickets?
Reply 35
when is the open day, havent heard from durham yet but its one of my top 2 choices
Reply 36
End of March (around the 20th)
dobbs
You won't be the only person - I'd say about 60% of the Open Day students go out into town, maybe 70%....and then the rest will stay in and maybe have some drinks from the college bar or as I say watch a movie or something :smile:

Does 'going out' have to = clubbing?

Pubs = :biggrin:

However, clubs I do not do....:p:
Reply 38
Well on my open day we went to a pub and then to Klute ( :puke: )....so I guess you could probably round up a big enough crowd to go and chill in a pub somewhere. :smile:
Reply 39
Do the open days fill up and if so anyone know how quickly? I want to find out if I get my offer from my favourite subject before replying for the one I've already got an offer from

Latest