The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

yeah right there with you as a fellow collingwood-er (i know that's not a real word...) What are we going to do?? At my interview at Oxford they said entertainment would be arranged in the evenings yet all we did was sit around while they stuck shrek on...it was the most boring 3days ever...and i got rejected. I dont hold out much hope for here! xxx
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
kawaii_girl
yeah right there with you as a fellow collingwood-er (i know that's not a real word...) What are we going to do?? At my interview at Oxford they said entertainment would be arranged in the evenings yet all we did was sit around while they stuck shrek on...it was the most boring 3days ever...and i got rejected. I dont hold out much hope for here! xxx

A pub crawl would be good...

Sadly as most open days seem to be starting early (and there may be 17 year olds which I'm sure would stir up all sorts of legal issues), I don't think that's going to happen.

I just hope it doesn't involve sitting in a circle playing "duck duck quack quack" or whatever it's called. Or running around the JCR playing "it".
Anyone going to be going to the Collingwood open day? xxx (i'm studying Law)
Reply 63
Have none of you read this thread?
Reply 64
AdamTJ

Sadly as most open days seem to be starting early (and there may be 17 year olds which I'm sure would stir up all sorts of legal issues), I don't think that's going to happen.

I just hope it doesn't involve sitting in a circle playing "duck duck quack quack" or whatever it's called. Or running around the JCR playing "it".

:banghead:
Oh my god! Read the rest of the thread which gives details from various current Durham students about what goes on during the open days!! Come on, what do you expect 'fun and games' to be? I think everyone that has posted in here about their open days has said they went out to pubs and clubs, or stayed in college if they didn't want to do that.
And Durham open days are so much better than when you stay at Oxford or Cambridge for your interview because nobody's cramming or stressing about interviews. It's purely fun.
Reply 65
Becca
:banghead:
Oh my god! Read the rest of the thread which gives details from various current Durham students about what goes on during the open days!! Come on, what do you expect 'fun and games' to be? I think everyone that has posted in here about their open days has said they went out to pubs and clubs, or stayed in college if they didn't want to do that.
And Durham open days are so much better than when you stay at Oxford or Cambridge for your interview because nobody's cramming or stressing about interviews. It's purely fun.

You seriously expect me to sift through the entire bloody thread! I have better things to do with my time (like post ultimately wholly irrelevant posts because of lack of reading threads).

Anyway, thanks (I suppose) for keeping people up to date on what these activities might entail (for those of us who either can't be arsed, or just don't have the time to read back).
Reply 66
Just search the damn thread! Lazy :p:
Reply 67
We have better things to do with our time than repeat ourselves for people who cannot be arsed to help themselves.
Reply 68
Jelkin
We have better things to do with our time than repeat ourselves for people who cannot be arsed to help themselves.

Yup, it's a vicious cycle...
Reply 69
eeek on a lighter note

is anyone else a fellow newbie hild beder? if so..i am actually already 18 and up for partying any one else with me on tht?
AdamTJ

Let's sort a Mildert pub crawl :biggrin:.

I personally cannot stand clubs, and would love to sample/imbibe several pints of like, every ale in Durham...
misstash
eeek on a lighter note

is anyone else a fellow newbie hild beder? if so..i am actually already 18 and up for partying any one else with me on tht?

Come to Mildert and join our ultimate pub wastage-ness!
Reply 72
Danny_777
Come to Mildert and join our ultimate pub wastage-ness!

How are you going to get up in the morning?

After a good night on the lash I can't stand up until about 3 o clock. Yes I know that's pathetic, but still.
Reply 73
Hehe, I had to force myself to get up I was sooooooo tired on the morning of my open day.
Reply 74
Becca
Hehe, I had to force myself to get up I was sooooooo tired on the morning of my open day.

It's not even the tiredness that does it. Like I could cope with that. It's the fact that I physically feel so bad, I just can't up.

You know that unique feeling of utter dehydration, sickness, nausea and headache that you get after a true drinking session. That's what I'm talking about.

Or maybe you just don't get hangovers. In which case I hate you.
Reply 75
elyim
You can see the schedules for all colleges and departments here.

OK so looking at the college open days it looks like Butler is the ONLY COLLEGE messing the whole system up and being weird.

For any other college it still goes...

You arrive on Monday, you do collegey stuff all day, you do collegey stuff in the evening, the next day (Tuesday) you go to departmental open day for 10am.

For those of you who have departmental things on the Wednesday, then you arrive on the Tuesday, do collegey stuff on Tuesday, then stay overnight for the Wednesday.

Simple :smile:
AdamTJ
How are you going to get up in the morning?

After a good night on the lash I can't stand up until about 3 o clock. Yes I know that's pathetic, but still.

Lol! I know it sounds weird, but I don't actually get hangovers! Never had one :confused: ! The drunkest I've ever been resulted in passing out for several hours...

No hangover, just a bit tired the morning after :biggrin:.
dobbs
OK so looking at the college open days it looks like Butler is the ONLY COLLEGE messing the whole system up and being weird.

For any other college it still goes...

You arrive on Monday, you do collegey stuff all day, you do collegey stuff in the evening, the next day (Tuesday) you go to departmental open day for 10am.

For those of you who have departmental things on the Wednesday, then you arrive on the Tuesday, do collegey stuff on Tuesday, then stay overnight for the Wednesday.

Simple :smile:

You can do this with JB if you like; you just have to phone up and explain how it's necessary to stay overnight. They still have evening entertainment etc.
Reply 78
I am going to an open day on the 21st March I think, at Grey. However, I will not be staying overnight, so my dad has taken it upon himself to drive me down and take a look at the Uni with me. Is this normal, as from what I have read the Open Day(s) seems like a giant piss up!?!?
The literature from JB is pretty clear that you are not really wanted on Tuesday, as in

" The same programme will also run on Tuesday 20 March but numbers will be strictly limited to those students whose departments are NOT offering open days on Wednesday 21st March. "

Not exactly welcoming is it.......

Does everyone pay the same for their overnight stay ?

Latest