The Student Room Group

Geography applicants - 2016 entry!

Have searched for a similar thread with no results (although I know the search tool isn't the best.)
Someone suggested a thread for people applying the next cycle (September 2016 entry) to study Geography which is a great idea! For discussing course content/opinions of the universities/ 'human or physical?!' etc.

:smile:

Here's a link to the University Connect page for Geography; you can upload your own profile and look at other applicants' grades and offers. You may also want to refer to the 2015 applicants' thread for more information, or the TSR Wiki entry for Geography Degrees.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am looking to study physical geography! Just got AAAB at AS with 196/200 ums in geog, moving on to year 13 with AAB. Loughborough is my favourite at the moment! But can't choose between the others as there are so many I like!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I was considering taking geography at Uni. I know with resists i can achieve the average offer of BBB. Would a uni say they will give me a conditional offer off BBB if my prediction for alevel is BCC. i got CDD ( which isnt a true reflection on my ability)
Reply 3
Wish I could say but I know nearly nothing about the application system :frown: hope someone else can come along and give you a better idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lauren1998
Wish I could say but I know nearly nothing about the application system :frown: hope someone else can come along and give you a better idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks anyway
I got AABB at AS with 173 UMS in geography which isn't brilliant considering I got full UMS in the mock exam! But I did know I messed up the exam a bit! I was thinking of applying to Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham,UEA and Sussex do you think I have a chance?
Reply 6
Definitely! None of those require an a* as far as I know and so if you can bring the B up they should all be within reach!
Reply 7
I got AAAABB at AS this year and in geography I got full UMS!!! 😊 I like physical geography best and I'm going to apply to Bristol as my first choice
Hi, I got a C in Geography A/S, (I was est. A/B) and got higher in both my other 2 subjects. I'd really like to still apply for Geography degrees, and the uni's I fancy are all asking AAB-BBB. Do you think I'll get any offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got A in geography at AS and then 2 Cs, do you think I'd be able to get into a uni offering AAB/ABB? And does anyone know a good uni which I can put down as an insurance? At the moment I have Newcastle, Sussex, Lancaster(who require AAA) and Nottingham. I don't think I've done enough at AS to get the grades I need to get into these unis, can grades go up at A2 if you put the work in?
Reply 10
Original post by josielouisec
I got A in geography at AS and then 2 Cs, do you think I'd be able to get into a uni offering AAB/ABB? And does anyone know a good uni which I can put down as an insurance? At the moment I have Newcastle, Sussex, Lancaster(who require AAA) and Nottingham. I don't think I've done enough at AS to get the grades I need to get into these unis, can grades go up at A2 if you put the work in?

I reckon with hard work you can go from ACC to AAB, you can definitely go up at least a grade with hard work :smile:
Reply 11
At the moment I'm looking at Durham, Exeter, Sheffield, Southampton and Lancaster :smile:

What's everyone planning on writing about in their personal statements? I'm not sure what I can do which is geography related to make myself stand out? All I can think to do it read a book hahaa... what've you guys done?
Original post by hannb98
At the moment I'm looking at Durham, Exeter, Sheffield, Southampton and Lancaster :smile:

What's everyone planning on writing about in their personal statements? I'm not sure what I can do which is geography related to make myself stand out? All I can think to do it read a book hahaa... what've you guys done?

Try and get some relevant work experience that you can refer to on your personal statement. That's what i did and i think it will help my application, and i actually enjoyed it at the samw time
Reply 13
Original post by deroscala
Try and get some relevant work experience that you can refer to on your personal statement. That's what i did and i think it will help my application, and i actually enjoyed it at the samw time

Can't think of much which is relevant to a human geography course? Especially now that summers over it will be difficult 😔
Reply 14
My predicted grades are ABB, how likely am i to get offers from unis like newcastle, nottingham, sheffield & UEA who want AAB, i'm either doing geography or environmental science!
Original post by ea07
My predicted grades are ABB, how likely am i to get offers from unis like newcastle, nottingham, sheffield & UEA who want AAB, i'm either doing geography or environmental science!

My school's uni advisor said that competitive unis wont even look at your personal statement if you're not predicted the required grades
Original post by hannb98

Physical or human at Durham? Also what're you predicted? Dw if you dont wanna say
Original post by Waytogo0602
Hi, I got a C in Geography A/S, (I was est. A/B) and got higher in both my other 2 subjects. I'd really like to still apply for Geography degrees, and the uni's I fancy are all asking AAB-BBB. Do you think I'll get any offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe re-take one or both of the AS units this ummer for geography? That way you could persuade your teacher to predict you a B or an A to increase your chance of getting offers
Reply 18
Original post by deroscala
Physical or human at Durham? Also what're you predicted? Dw if you dont wanna say

Human! and I haven't had them yet - I'm back to sixth form tomorrow so should find out soon. I'm pretty confident it will be an A and maybe an A* if im lucky
Thumbs up for human geographers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending