The Student Room Group

oMg any suggestions to overcome the problem of being panicked in interviews???

hey!! gosh how do you overcome the fear and being tongue tied at interviews, becos normally im so confident and have so much to talk about why to do medicine etc, but then does anyone get the feelings, the people in the panel are bored and not really listenings, as if everything you say is a cliche??? any suggestions to overcome this! cos i forget everyting once i go, dunno if any1 has the same problem...
Reply 1
Its natural to be nervous. The panel will listen but not show adament interest as they want to see you talk on your own sometimes without being prompted. At some unis they look disinterested and impartial because they are marking you throughout.

Try to avoid the obvious cliches, especially when saying why you want to do medicine.

When I had my interviews I didn't go in with any planned answers to any questions. It gave me the confidence to be spontaneous "on the spot" and right from the beginning answer any questions they ask.

Don't wear any rings, watches, cufflinks or bracelets because you will fidget with them and keep your arse at the back of the seat throughout.

If you sit upright, smile at the beginning of the interview and pause to THINK for about 2 seconds before answering any questions then you should be unflappable.

If you are tongue tied, ask them to repeat the question or to clarify the question. It gives you a few more seconds. Don't lie to anything, that means you won't be nervous about being found out. Don't babble - answer the questions concisely and don't speak too fast.

If there is water available, pour yourself a glass as soon as you've said hello, shaken hands etc. That means your mouth won't go dry and you won't lose your thread halfway through the interview by interrupting your thoughts.

Another rule is don't repeat yourself! Thank them for their time, and SMILE no matter how badly you think it has gone - it is the last thing they will remember about you, and don't say ANYTHING about the interview to anyone outside as soon as you come out - the last thing the interviewers to hear is "Oh My God it was AWFUL..." do you?!

Best of British :biggrin:
Reply 2
in my manchester interview, i inadvertently gave myself a leg cramp which not only felt REALLY GOOD *drools* but (no idea why) i immediately felt totally relaxed and actually started to enjoy it from that moment onwards. Each to their own..:biggrin:
Reply 3
Bluechip-
in my manchester interview, i inadvertently gave myself a leg cramp which not only felt REALLY GOOD *drools* but (no idea why) i immediately felt totally relaxed and actually started to enjoy it from that moment onwards. Each to their own..:biggrin:

you feel good when having leg cramps? WTF ?
You never look/sound as nervous or unconfident as you think you do.

I'm weird - I tend to like doing interviews for some reason!
You said it :p:
Reply 6
Go to a few interviews for things you don't care about, with no preparation, and try to breeze through. After a bit of this kind of practise interviews get much easier.
Reply 7
I always thought the water thing was like a trap. You could appear cool :cool: but as soon you take a sip of water..i can just imagine it shaking like hell..lol..maybe thats just my personal nightmare. Never had water in an interview before tho:hmmmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending