The Student Room Group

Is there anyone else attending the Roke Assessment Centre for Cyber and Networks?

If so how are you preparing?
Any nerves?
Anything to anticipate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Recently got invited have they run them previously or did you get invited before I did?
expect all kinds of questions
Reply 3
Original post by tinyperson
expect all kinds of questions

Have you done this assessment centre before or are you just assuming?
Original post by Barn1356
Have you done this assessment centre before or are you just assuming?

assuming
Hi,
Recently got invited have they run them previously or did you get invited before I did?

I'll see you down in Romsey :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mathperson
I'll see you down in Romsey :smile:

Which day are you going?
Which day are you going?

Friday 6th, how about you?
Reply 8
Friday 6th, how about you?

I'm going on the Wednesday.
I'm going on the Wednesday.

Oh ok great, let me know how you get on.

May I ask what coding experience you're going there with?
Oh ok great, let me know how you get on.

May I ask what coding experience you're going there with?

Ive done comp sci at GCSE and a-level and learnt python along with that. I have also taught myself basic C# which ive used with unity, but overall my coding experience is basic.
Ive done comp sci at GCSE and a-level and learnt python along with that. I have also taught myself basic C# which ive used with unity, but overall my coding experience is basic.

That's great.

I might message you after you've had your day there just to get the low down on what to expect, if that's ok with you?
Thats fine, we can see how it goes.
Thats fine, we can see how it goes.

Have you got any projects or anything to show them?
Have you got any projects or anything to show them?

Ive got a few that I may send over just as an option to talk about in the interview, mainly probably my CS coursework which includes a 70 page write up and a game I made. I don't know how relevant it is, but my only thought is it could be something to discuss
Ive got a few that I may send over just as an option to talk about in the interview, mainly probably my CS coursework which includes a 70 page write up and a game I made. I don't know how relevant it is, but my only thought is it could be something to discuss

That's awesome.

I've got a Python data analysis project I'm going to send over.

If I forget to say it before Wednesday, best of luck 🍀😊
Original post by Tegha20
If so how are you preparing?
Any nerves?
Anything to anticipate?
Hi can you help me on how’s the assessment center structured please and did you get the offer if yes how long after
Original post by Sosobless
Hi can you help me on how’s the assessment center structured please and did you get the offer if yes how long after
This was a long time ago now, but from what I can remember:
Tour around the facility and plenty of opportunities to speak to current employees.
Short 'interview' - it's not formal, just a chat about your aspirations and why you want to join Roke.
Group activity.
This was a long time ago now, but from what I can remember:
Tour around the facility and plenty of opportunities to speak to current employees.
Short 'interview' - it's not formal, just a chat about your aspirations and why you want to join Roke.
Group activity.
Thank you so much I’m very nervous it’s the group activity hard any tips on how to pass this assessment center please and if successful do you get a call the same day thank you
Original post by Sosobless
Thank you so much I’m very nervous it’s the group activity hard any tips on how to pass this assessment center please and if successful do you get a call the same day thank you

No problem.

There's no need to be nervous.
90% of the day is you getting to know Roke, with tours of the facility and presentations given by employees/management.

The short 'interview' is just as I described above. Don't even think of it as an interview in the classical sense.
The only thing I would advise is to be able to articulate why you and Roke are a good match; where you want your career to go long-term and how Roke fits into that plan.

I'm not going to reveal details of the group project that I did because:

a. They may have changed it.
b. If they haven't changed it, it will spoil the surprise - it's fun and quirky.

All I will say is that the group project is mainly geared towards working as a team. I know that sounds obvious, but the reason I'm saying it explicitly is because it isn't an intense business or scientific project. It's more about how you can work together to overcome a creative and very quirky problem.
It's not building a bridge our of lollypop sticks or some rubbish like that!

You won't hear back the same day. It may take a number of weeks until you hear back either way.

Relax, be yourself, and don't be afraid of showing your personality.
Good luck.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest