The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spoderman14
My friend applying for Earth Sciences has offers from Lancaster (Unconditional), Plymouth, Durham (AAB), and interviews at Manchester and Oxford.

He's received an interview invite from Oxford?

Huh, colleges must be sending them out at different times then. What college was it from by the way?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
He's received an interview invite from Oxford?

Huh, colleges must be sending them out at different times then.

She in fact. I think it's at St Edmund Hall, but I'm not sure the college really matters, they might not have got round to sending them out to other people.
Original post by Spoderman14
She in fact. I think it's at St Edmund Hall, but I'm not sure the college really matters, they might not have got round to sending them out to other people.

Well I'd imagine that they're sending interview out on a by-college basis so some must be slower than others. I assumed that they were sent out all at once before.
Reply 183
Original post by dixietrix
I have an offer from Bristol and an interview at Southampton :biggrin:

When is your Southampton interview?
Reply 184
Original post by LaurenSwan16
I've had offers from Leeds (AAB) for the Bsc Geology and Bristol (AAB) for Msci with Study Abroad, I think normally for Bristol it's AAA but as I do Chemistry, Physics and Maths it's slightly lower!

I've also got an offer from Edinburgh (AAA), an interview from Southampton and am waiting to hear back from Birmingham. Hope this helps:smile:

Have you booked your interview at Southampton - what date?
Original post by Wenwoo
When is your Southampton interview?

5th December
Reply 186
X
Woo well done! :party2:

Good luck! I had an interview at Southampton too.

What was interview at Southampton like?
Original post by Wenwoo
X

What was interview at Southampton like?

Umm... I don't want to scare anyone else off because it was probably just because of the guy that interviewed me, but it wasn't great. The person who interviewed me wasn't particularly friendly and it very much felt like a grilling rather than a conversation, which is how my other interviews largely felt like. I was also a bit put off by how massive the NOC is. The facilities are great but I prefer small, cozy places and the NOC really isn't like that. As I say though, I don't want to put anyone else off because of my personal experience, I know people who really liked Southampton.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 188
Umm... I don't want to scare anyone else off because it was probably just because of the guy that interviewed me, but it wasn't great. The person who interviewed me wasn't particularly friendly and it very much felt like a grilling rather than a conversation, which is how my other interviews largely felt like. I was also a bit put off by how massive the NOC is. The facilities are great but I prefer small, cozy places and the NOC really isn't like that. As I say though, I don't want to put anyone else off because of my personal experience, I know people who really liked Southampton.

Was it stuff from ps or more technical geology questions? Was the interviewer a lecturer because they need to be friendly and approachable?
Reply 189
Original post by Wenwoo
Was it stuff from ps or more technical geology questions? Was the interviewer a lecturer because they need to be friendly and approachable?

Yeah like desribing secondary enrichment of chalcopyrite
Original post by Wenwoo

There were some challenging questions based on my presentation that I gave (which was basically the topic of my EPQ), which was followed by some questions based on a seismic cross section of a subduction zone. I think the interviewer was a lecturer (since he was quite old) but I'm not sure.
Reply 191
There were some challenging questions based on my presentation that I gave (which was basically the topic of my EPQ), which was followed by some questions based on a seismic cross section of a subduction zone. I think the interviewer was a lecturer (since he was quite old) but I'm not sure.

I haven't been asked to do a presentation - was that this year?
Original post by Wenwoo
I haven't been asked to do a presentation - was that this year?

Oh, maybe they've stopped that (I interviewed last year). To be honest, I thought it was a bit of a strange thing to ask applicants to prepare a 5 minute presentation so I wouldn't be surprised/disappointed if they've stopped that.
Reply 193
Original post by Shane Webb
Got my offer from Aberdeen. Now all I'm waiting for is Manchester, who I have an interview for. I emailed them today saying I'm not coming. When do Manchester usually make their offers?

How long did Aberdeenshire are to give offer and do you mind if I ask what that offer was?
Original post by Wenwoo
How long did Aberdeenshire are to give offer and do you mind if I ask what that offer was?

it took then about two months, and the offer was for ABB for the msci.
They previously sent me a letter saying id have to wait until after UCAS.
Reply 195
Original post by Shane Webb
it took then about two months, and the offer was for ABB for the msci.
They previously sent me a letter saying id have to wait until after UCAS.

Great to know that. Thanks
Yes!!!! Got an interview at Oxford :biggrin: at last 😂
Original post by Mathematicus65
Ah okay excellent, thank you! And I am doing some work experience at Exxon Mobil:smile:

Exxon are scum, burn the offices down whilst you're there :smile:

- Also to update on offers I have received:
AAA Bristol, AAB Leeds and my interview at imperial was yesterday so offer / rejection will be coming in within a fortnight!
Original post by Allystring
anyone heard from Durham?

In Durham's correspondence confirming that they'd received my application they stated that most offers will come after the 15th January deadline to ensure all applicants before the actual deadline receive equal consideration.
Original post by NimbleNeil
In Durham's correspondence confirming that they'd received my application they stated that most offers will come after the 15th January deadline to ensure all applicants before the actual deadline receive equal consideration.

thank you so much i was having a bit of a worry that reassures me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending