The Student Room Group

Can you retake an A level module while at university?

I was wondering if its possible to resit some A level module at university to improve your current grade. Is such service available?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDraz
I was wondering if its possible to resit some A level module at university to improve your current grade. Is such service available?

If you've already cashed in your A Level, don't think you can take one module to improve the overall mark.... Only way would be to you retake the whole two years of the A Level?
Majority of cases, you'll have to cash in your A Level marks for them to count towards getting you into University (as far as I understand anyway!)

Not sure though, I could be wrong! :smile:
Original post by JDraz

Think it might be easier to take a gap year :smile:
If you're already in uni, then really.. What exactly would the point be of resitting a module (If possible)?
Reply 4
I don't think you can retake an A-Level that has been cashed in. However, you could take another A-Level in one or two years. That could boost your best three (or not, if you don't get a better grade in this one than in your current best three).

Original post by Binary Freak
If you're already in uni, then really.. What exactly would the point be of resitting a module (If possible)?

Probably something like this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2470185
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by llys
I don't think you can retake an A-Level that has been cashed in. However, you could take another A-Level in one or two years. That could boost your best three (or not, if you don't get a better grade in this one than in your current best three).

Probably something like this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2470185

Even in that case, it'd be pretty pointless, most employers won't care very much for them, and very rarely do graduate jobs ask for a UCAS requirement, even when they do, it's usually equal to BBBc (340 UCAS). Chances are even the university would discourage it.
Reply 6
Original post by Binary Freak
Even in that case, it'd be pretty pointless, most employers won't care very much for them, and very rarely do graduate jobs ask for a UCAS requirement, even when they do, it's usually equal to BBBc (340 UCAS).

Did you read the link at all? Perhaps OP wants to join a top law firm later-on. They do have cut-offs much higher than BBBc.

Otherwise, I agree, it doesn't really matter.
Reply 7
Just thought I'd let OP know that you can resit an A-level module at Uni even after your grades been cashed in, all you need it your UCI - unique candidate something something (don't know what it stands for lol) and that's it. I'm doing the same thing and re-taking a module as I'm 2 marks off a B to bring my ABC to ABB, mainly to prove something to myself, because I panicked in the exam and have never gotten a C in my life. *opinions can be kept to yourself* anyway, good luck.

What are you thinking of re-taking and where are you going? :smile: in order to do so you need to find an examination centre willing to take private candidates and pay the entrance fee.
Reply 8
Original post by ChiFlee
Just thought I'd let OP know that you can resit an A-level module at Uni even after your grades been cashed in, all you need it your UCI - unique candidate something something (don't know what it stands for lol) and that's it. I'm doing the same thing and re-taking a module as I'm 2 marks off a B to bring my ABC to ABB, mainly to prove something to myself, because I panicked in the exam and have never gotten a C in my life. *opinions can be kept to yourself* anyway, good luck.

What are you thinking of re-taking and where are you going? :smile: in order to do so you need to find an examination centre willing to take private candidates and pay the entrance fee.

Can confirm this, unless I've been swindled.

Retook two A2 units and paid to cash in those new grades to add up my new marks for the A Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Pulse.

Retook two A2 units and paid to cash in those new grades to add up my new marks for the A Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? interesting, did your grade improve?
Reply 10
Original post by ChiFlee
Really? interesting, did your grade improve?

By a few marks, not enough to improve my grade. :frown: Have you retaken any modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Pulse.
By a few marks, not enough to improve my grade. :frown: Have you retaken any modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh unlucky, never mind. And no not yet. I just finished A levels and start Uni in a few weeks, i've already done research and found an exam centre willing to enter me next year so i can re sit one biology module that i messed up due to panicking and stress/poor time management. I was predicted an A but got a C along with 90% of the class. However, i'm two marks off a B so i'm going to re take the exam as i made numerous silly mistakes last year. I've already checked and its way after my uni exams so hopefully it goes to plan and then my a levels will stand at ABB.
Reply 12
yes, you can.
Reply 13
Original post by ChiFlee
Ahh unlucky, never mind. And no not yet. I just finished A levels and start Uni in a few weeks, i've already done research and found an exam centre willing to enter me next year so i can re sit one biology module that i messed up due to panicking and stress/poor time management. I was predicted an A but got a C along with 90% of the class. However, i'm two marks off a B so i'm going to re take the exam as i made numerous silly mistakes last year. I've already checked and its way after my uni exams so hopefully it goes to plan and then my a levels will stand at ABB.

Sounds like a good plan, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
[QUOTE=ChiFlee;59071137]Just thought I'd let OP know that you can resit an A-level module at Uni even after your grades been cashed in, all you need it your UCI - unique candidate something something (don't know what it stands for lol) and that's it. I'm doing the same thing and re-taking a module as I'm 2 marks off a B to bring my ABC to ABB, mainly to prove something to myself, because I panicked in the exam and have never gotten a C in my life. *opinions can be kept to yourself* anyway, good luck.

I'm going Brunel and I want to retake math unit(core 3) edexcel, since I was 2ums off a overalls not maths.
Reply 15
Original post by JDraz
I'm going Brunel and I want to retake math unit(core 3) edexcel, since I was 2ums off a overalls not maths.

Ah right, theres an exam centre near stratford called excel tutors who accepts edexcel, i've already been in contact with them, [email protected]
All you have to do is pay the money and show up for the exam. Annoying thing is obviously you have to wait until june, good luck anyway! Hope you get that improved grade, i'm 2 raw marks off, my next grade haha. Very annoying
Reply 16
[QUOTE=ChiFlee;59104823]Ah right, theres an exam centre near stratford called excel tutors who accepts edexcel, i've already been in contact with them, [email protected]
All you have to do is pay the money and show up for the exam. Annoying thing is obviously you have to wait until june, good luck anyway! Hope you get that improved grade, i'm 2 raw marks off, my next grade haha. Very annoying

That's really good, how much do you have to pay for one module and where would I do the exam? Yeah it's really annoying being just few marks off the next grade.
Reply 17
Original post by JDraz
That's really good, how much do you have to pay for one module and where would I do the exam? Yeah it's really annoying being just few marks off the next grade.

For myself i was told £102 :/ a lot of money for some but for me its an ok price since I want it enough. And you sit it at their centre in east london i believe its near stratford. There are other places though x
Did you have to ask your uni to do this or did you just go to somewhere where you could retake the modules?
Original post by Pulse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you have to ask your university to do so or did you just ask a centre to allow you to take the exams there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending