The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Welcome to the Lancaster University official Question and Answer thread. Whether you’ve received a place, already applied or are thinking about applying to Lancaster, members of our team will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about life at Lancaster.
In the meantime, there are some web links that you may find useful:

Accommodation
With approximately 6,500 rooms on campus, Lancaster has a wide range of on-campus accommodation. Lancaster can also offer a range of city accommodation which is accessible via Lancaster University Homes, which provides support and proporty listings to help you find accommodation.

Applications and Admissions
Your question may have already been answered on our Admissions website. If not, feel free to ask one of our Admissions Officers over in the Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Colleges
Lancaster is unique, being one of just a handful of leading universities that operates a collegiate system. All students will join one of our eight undergraduate colleges. Our colleges are separate from our academic departments and are a great way to meet new people, make new friends and take part in many activities and events throughout the year.

Courses
Our handy online courses directory gives an in depth introduction to all of our courses, including all variants. However, if you have any more questions our Admissions Officers will be more than happy to answer over in the Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Fees and Funding
Our Undergraduate fees and funding pages give information on current fees as well as the Scholarships and Bursaries available from Lancaster. There are also some handy tips on budgeting and managing money!

Prospectus
You can view our current prospectus online or, alternatively, you can fill out the prospectus request form and we’ll send you a hard copy through the post.

Students’ Union
Lancaster University Students’ Union (LUSU) not only support and represent students but also provide a range of services and activities throughout the year. Whether want to look for a student house, enjoy a night out with friends at our very own nightclub, join one of our 200 activity groups, compete against the University of York in our annual sporting competition or enjoy a night of live music and entertainment at events throughout the year there is something for everyone to enjoy at Lancaster.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dchu1
Hey, I was wondering if mini-fridges are allowed in accommodation.

Generally mini fridges would not be permitted in our accommodation unless there is a specific need (for example a medical need). However most students find that there is ample space in the fridge/freezers in the kitchens.

You may find the residents handbook useful which also includes the terms and conditions of the residences.

Jamie Carbert | Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hey, the deadline for the first rent payment is october 2nd, if our student loan doesn't come through by then are we allowed an extension?
Original post by Hayley Williams
Hey, the deadline for the first rent payment is october 2nd, if our student loan doesn't come through by then are we allowed an extension?

Hi Hayley

The important thing is not to worry, we understand that this can sometimes happen. If you're unable to pay by the due date you will need to speak with your College Residence Officer before the deadline and they will be able to advise further.

Hello, I have yet to receive my CAS which I have sent an email to ugadmission on 17th August.That's more than 10 days now, can you please help me out?? I need it for me to be able to proceed with VISA as soon as possible as my flight date is fast approaching. Thank you
Original post by Farah Baharin
Hello, I have yet to receive my CAS which I have sent an email to ugadmission on 17th August.That's more than 10 days now, can you please help me out?? I need it for me to be able to proceed with VISA as soon as possible as my flight date is fast approaching. Thank you

Sorry that you have been kept waiting, can you please contact our undergraduate admissions office on [email protected] or +44 (0)1524 592028 who will be able to assist further.

Original post by Lancaster University
Sorry that you have been kept waiting, can you please contact our undergraduate admissions office on [email protected] or +44 (0)1524 592028 who will be able to assist further.

Already email ugadmission but it went straight to automated email. To whom can I talk about this specifically?
Original post by Farah Baharin
Already email ugadmission but it went straight to automated email. To whom can I talk about this specifically?

If you'd rather speak to somebody in person it would be best to contact the undergraduate admissions team on +44 (0)1524 592028

Reply 8
Does Lancaster do interviews? I'm looking to study maths
Original post by ulysses8
Does Lancaster do interviews? I'm looking to study maths

A very small number of our courses do interview but maths isn't one of these! You might find our undergraduate maths and statistics pages useful for more info on each of our maths courses

Reply 10
Hi,
Do Biomedical Science students have reading lists? If so, where can I find them.
Also, I've heard from friends from other unis about buying tickets for freshers (sorry, welcome week) events. I haven't heard anything about this myself though, does this apply to Lancaster students?
Original post by UmarP
Hi,
Do Biomedical Science students have reading lists? If so, where can I find them.
Also, I've heard from friends from other unis about buying tickets for freshers (sorry, welcome week) events. I haven't heard anything about this myself though, does this apply to Lancaster students?

For biomedical sciences there is no reading required before you start the course and any reading lists will be available once you have started you studies. I have tried to contact the Director of Part I studies for your subject to try and locate a reading list but unfortunately they are out of their office at this time, but if I can locate anything I will post it here.

In terms of welcome week, there are some university wide events listed on the Students' Union website. I'd also recommend looking on the Facebook page for your college where more details about college specific events will be provided. There may be a small number of events ran by your college which require a ticket to be purchased but for many of the events your fresher's wristband and/or tshirt will gain you entry (this will be given to you when you get here!).

Reply 12
Hi, will my room have a chair in it or should I bring my own? I'm staying in a townhouse in County college

Original post by 7277
Hi, will my room have a chair in it or should I bring my own? I'm staying in a townhouse in County college

Yes your room will come will come with a desk chair (and also a waste bin, which is another common query). If you haven't already read it, you may find our residents handbook useful.

Original post by UmarP
Hi,

In addition to my previous answer, the recommended text for your course is a book called Campbell Biology. However, you will be given free access to an e-book version of this once you start your course. This was stated in the pre-arrival handbook, have you received this?

Reply 15
Thank you, also when do we find out who's in our accommodation with us?
Reply 16
Hi again, when are adjustment students likely to get their offers for accommodation?
For the IBS Biomedical Science students, will the non-elective course structure allow for a semester abroad and still lead to accreditation?
Hello I need help the email address in which is associated with my lancaster app and log in is no longer accessible, how can I change it also Ive still been unable to register as it says interior error do you have a solution please
Original post by Seydagray
Hello I need help the email address in which is associated with my lancaster app and log in is no longer accessible, how can I change it also Ive still been unable to register as it says interior error do you have a solution please

For issues with iLancaster please contact Information System Services on +44 (0)1524 510987 or [email protected]
Can you please confirm what you have been trying to register for so we can advise further

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UmarP
Hi again, when are adjustment students likely to get their offers for accommodation?
For the IBS Biomedical Science students, will the non-elective course structure allow for a semester abroad and still lead to accreditation?

Regarding your accommodation query, can you please contact our accommodation office on +44 (0)1524 594910 or [email protected].

I have contacted the Biomedicine Department regarding your question about Study Abroad and will get back to you as soon as I have a reply

Quick Reply

Latest