The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

I've just seen that my question has already answered so I've edited it out. Thank you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi
my friend and i are both coming to Lancaster and were hoping to be in the same flat , is it possible for us to ask to be together?
Original post by queen macaroni
Hi
my friend and i are both coming to Lancaster and were hoping to be in the same flat , is it possible for us to ask to be together?

Hello,

It's possible to request it but we unfortunately can't always guarantee it. When you apply for your accommodation you will have to apply for the same college and same accommodation type. When you're applying for this there will be an 'Additional Notes' section where you will need to put each others' names and ID numbers.

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions about accommodation, their email address is [email protected]

Claire Murray | UK Student Recruitment and Outreach
Lancaster University
Hi,

So I'm due to start in October this year to do the mEng course, and am sure because I thankfully received an unconditional.
My brother goes to Cambridge and when they were freshers they were assigned "parents", second years to ask questions before arriving. I was wondering if Lancaster has a similar thing? Will we be able to get in touch once results come out with some kind of fresher rep for our college? Because I have so many questions to ask!
I think Lancaster will be my insurance choice. If I miss my firm and go there (which is by no means awful as Lancaster seems great) am i at all likely to get a room on campus? That is important to me, and I'm not at all fussy about ensuite etc
Thanks
Original post by Jennylwilson
Hi,

So I'm due to start in October this year to do the mEng course, and am sure because I thankfully received an unconditional.
My brother goes to Cambridge and when they were freshers they were assigned "parents", second years to ask questions before arriving. I was wondering if Lancaster has a similar thing? Will we be able to get in touch once results come out with some kind of fresher rep for our college? Because I have so many questions to ask!

Hi there, no one official has replied to you so I'll give it a go.

We have a slightly different system to Oxford and Cambridge. Rather than having a 2 to 2 ratio, Lancaster generally has two Freshers Reps to each flat of freshers. They will be with you for a lot of Freshers week, and the first term, and are also available throughout the year if you've got any questions.

You'll only be told who your Freshers reps are once you move into your accomodation, at the start of freshers week. However, once you've been told which accommodation block you've been assigned to you can join a facebook group for that group where Freshers Reps will be available for you to ask any questions you might have.

Up until then, your best bet is to use things like the Student Room. I'm sure you'll already be aware but a lot of the "Lancaster Freshers 2017" pages aren't official and are generally trying to sell tickets to something, so just be aware of that.
Reply 186
I was fortunate enough to get onto the unconditional offer scheme and have a few questions regarding the monitory rewards for getting the normal entry requirements for the course.

Firstly, I once stumbled upon the page that explained how the payments were made however I can no longer find it. So if you could link that would be marvelous

Secondly, I don't recall seeing any mentions of when the payments were made.

I know these don't matter if I don't get the grades (fairly confident I have got them) . However, I am going on holiday a week after results day and was curious about timing (not sure if you will be bogged down with questions after results day)

- Josh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe1000000
Hi there, no one official has replied to you so I'll give it a go.

We have a slightly different system to Oxford and Cambridge. Rather than having a 2 to 2 ratio, Lancaster generally has two Freshers Reps to each flat of freshers. They will be with you for a lot of Freshers week, and the first term, and are also available throughout the year if you've got any questions.

You'll only be told who your Freshers reps are once you move into your accomodation, at the start of freshers week. However, once you've been told which accommodation block you've been assigned to you can join a facebook group for that group where Freshers Reps will be available for you to ask any questions you might have.

Up until then, your best bet is to use things like the Student Room. I'm sure you'll already be aware but a lot of the "Lancaster Freshers 2017" pages aren't official and are generally trying to sell tickets to something, so just be aware of that.

Hi,
Thank you, this clears a lot up! :smile:
Original post by Jennylwilson
Hi,

Hello,

Thank you for your query and congratulations on your unconditional offer!

All undergraduate students are assigned what is typically called a 'freshers rep', who is a second year+ from your college who will be around to answer any questions during your welcome week and help you with settling in. You will meet your rep when you first move in, however if you have any other questions in the meantime then feel free to ask here or via any of our other social media channels, which can be found here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/news/socialmedia/

Lancaster University
Original post by eviebrizzle
I think Lancaster will be my insurance choice. If I miss my firm and go there (which is by no means awful as Lancaster seems great) am i at all likely to get a room on campus? That is important to me, and I'm not at all fussy about ensuite etc
Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee accommodation on campus for those who put us as an insurance choice, however we will always try our best to place you. If you have any other questions or concerns around this, you can contact the accommodation team by emailing [email protected]

Lancaster University
Original post by Joshb16
I was fortunate enough to get onto the unconditional offer scheme and have a few questions regarding the monitory rewards for getting the normal entry requirements for the course.

Firstly, I once stumbled upon the page that explained how the payments were made however I can no longer find it. So if you could link that would be marvelous

Secondly, I don't recall seeing any mentions of when the payments were made.

I know these don't matter if I don't get the grades (fairly confident I have got them) . However, I am going on holiday a week after results day and was curious about timing (not sure if you will be bogged down with questions after results day)

- Josh

Hello,

Congratulations on your offer! We have a variety of scholarships and bursaries available, details of which can be found here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/

If you are eligible for any of our scholarships and bursaries then we will send you an email once you have joined Lancaster University with further instruction. We will then typically pay this into your account in February.

If you have any further questions around this you can contact our Student Funding Service by emailing [email protected]

Lancaster University
Do those who pick Lancaster as their insurance choice have to apply for accomodation before August 15th?
Original post by sydnisan
Do those who pick Lancaster as their insurance choice have to apply for accomodation before August 15th?

Hello. Yes - you still apply for accommodation even if Lancaster is your insurance choice. We begin sending out confirmations after Results Day.

If there's anything else you need to know about accommodation, you can always contact our team:

[email protected]

Joey Akrigg | UK Student Recruitment and Outreach Lancaster University
Reply 193
Hi,I'm coming to Lancaster in September, and have applied for my accommodation. I used my college email for my UCAS application and even though I've changed the email on UCAS, and on the Lancaster website, I am still getting my accommodation emails to my college email, which I am about to lose access to. Please help!
Original post by 4bfgj3
Hi,I'm coming to Lancaster in September, and have applied for my accommodation. I used my college email for my UCAS application and even though I've changed the email on UCAS, and on the Lancaster website, I am still getting my accommodation emails to my college email, which I am about to lose access to. Please help!

Hello,

I would recommend emailing our accommodation team to let them know you've changed your email address and that you're still getting emails to your college account. Their email address is [email protected] or you can call them on 01524 593554.

Lancaster University
Reply 195
Is there an official Lancaster Facebook page so we can start to meet some other fellow students?
Hi,
It seems that many people have received their accommodation offers but I am aware that I am one of some who are still to receive this. Just wondering if you know when this will be please? Does this mean I am likely to get a college I didn't apply to? I put the cheapest accommodation down because that's all I can afford, if I'm given something more expensive will I be able to appeal? Thank you!
Original post by Babyoleg
Hi,
It seems that many people have received their accommodation offers but I am aware that I am one of some who are still to receive this. Just wondering if you know when this will be please? Does this mean I am likely to get a college I didn't apply to? I put the cheapest accommodation down because that's all I can afford, if I'm given something more expensive will I be able to appeal? Thank you!

Hello,

The accommodation team began sending offers out yesterday and will continue doing so over the next couple of weeks, so you should be hearing very soon! Colleges are not allocated on a first come first serve basis so you will still have the same chance as everybody else regarding this.

Once you have been offered your accommodation, if you do find this is not what you expected then you'll need to get in touch with the Accommodation Manager for the college you've been allocated to. A list of contact details can be found here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/facilities/accommodation/contact/

I hope that helps.

Lancaster University
Original post by Tols
Is there an official Lancaster Facebook page so we can start to meet some other fellow students?

Hi,

Yes there is, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/LancasterFreshers17/

They will also be linking to individual college pages as well so you will be able to speak to people in your college.

Lancaster University
Hi, what are the A level requirements for the Natural Sciences: Ecology and Conservation pathway?- I have found 2 different sets of A level requirements in two different booklets and i only meet one of them so i wanted to check,
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending