The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was wondering if I would be receiving a welcome pack in the post as I haven't received anything yet (only my confirmation email and emails from my subject department)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by CeLinga
I was wondering if I would be receiving a welcome pack in the post as I haven't received anything yet (only my confirmation email and emails from my subject department)

Hi,
The same thing happened with me. I emailed the University asking for information about welcome week and what to do beforehand, they emailed me back telling me I'd get a welcome pack but I didn't, just a little leaflet saying "you made it".

When did you get your offer though, because I think my situation might be because I was an adjustment applicant...
Original post by CeLinga

I do apologise about that, please can you either phone the office on +44 (0)1524 593724 or email your details (name and address) to [email protected] and I'll make sure one is sent out today

Jamie Carbert | Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Original post by UmarP
Hi,
The same thing happened with me. I emailed the University asking for information about welcome week and what to do beforehand, they emailed me back telling me I'd get a welcome pack but I didn't, just a little leaflet saying "you made it".

When did you get your offer though, because I think my situation might be because I was an adjustment applicant...

'You made it.' is a 20 page booklet which explains what happens next, welcome week, Part I, sports and leisure, the students' union, IT access etc. Did you receive this?

Reply 44
Hey
My cousin is looking to apply next year to do a combined honours in Law and History but she saw that you only offer Law with Criminology and Law with Politics. Knowing that you have very flexible degree choices is there any chance that she could do Law with History? thank you
Original post by amyof
Hey
My cousin is looking to apply next year to do a combined honours in Law and History but she saw that you only offer Law with Criminology and Law with Politics. Knowing that you have very flexible degree choices is there any chance that she could do Law with History? thank you

In Part I all students are required to study 120 credits. Most first year degrees are 40 credits meaning other subjects can be taken alongside your major subject but law takes up the full 120 credits. The only subjects that can be taken alongside law are, as you state, politics or criminology which make up our joint degrees.

Reply 46
Hey, does the NUS extra card get the same discounts in lancaster as the purple card does?
Original post by dchu1
Hey, does the NUS extra card get the same discounts in lancaster as the purple card does?

The NUS Extra card and Purple card are largely aimed at different discounts. the NUS Extra focuses around discount from national retailers whilst the purple card offers discounts from local retailers, cafes, bars and even the Students' Union's own nightclub, The Sugarhouse and Cinema, Take 2 Cinema.

A purple card is only £12.95 and you will make that back in savings very quickly. You can buy it online from the Students' Union so you can take advantage of discounts as soon as you arrive in Lancaster!

Hi, I am studying economics Bsc and I can't find a reading list or what textbooks I need for the course.
Hi, I've noticed a few other people mention it, but I also haven't received any information past the 'You've made it' leaflet and a confirmation email. I haven't even received anything from my department or college, I'm living off-campus but would of thought I would receive something telling me what college I'm in. I completed the online registration and on there it says I'm in County, although Bowland was my first choice. Sorry for the long question, it's just getting close to welcome week and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.
Reply 50
Is there still places left for the ghost walk on friday in freshers week? On the page to book it's telling me it's out of stock.
Reply 51
Original post by SuperAl
Is there still places left for the ghost walk on friday in freshers week? On the page to book it's telling me it's out of stock.

Where's the page to book?
Original post by econstudent121
Hi, I am studying economics Bsc and I can't find a reading list or what textbooks I need for the course.

Generally the reading list will be made available once you have started your course. Many of the readings may not be text books but rather journal articles or e-books that are available online via the University Library. Where text books are required the Library often has numerous copies of these. If you would rather have your own copy we have our own bookshop on campus or they will be available to buy from many internet sites (including second hand, which will obviously be cheaper)

Original post by CallumFoss
Hi, I've noticed a few other people mention it, but I also haven't received any information past the 'You've made it' leaflet and a confirmation email. I haven't even received anything from my department or college, I'm living off-campus but would of thought I would receive something telling me what college I'm in. I completed the online registration and on there it says I'm in County, although Bowland was my first choice. Sorry for the long question, it's just getting close to welcome week and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.

The 'You Made It' leaflet is generally the only information we send out before your arrival to Lancaster (except information about accommodation), though this booklet links to our welcome website.

From that website there is a link to our mobile app, iLancaster, from where you can build your own personalised timetable for the week. In addition, each college runs its own events during the week and there are also some University wide events such as Fresher's Fair.

As you're an off campus student, you might find this page on your college's website of use. For further advice you can contact County College on 01524 592562 or [email protected]. Likewise, your academic department will also be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Original post by SuperAl

Original post by 7277
Where's the page to book?

I assume that this is for Furness College, as this is the only college I know of that runs a ghost walk. If so, please can you contact the College Office and they will be able to assist further.

How do I know which college I'm in? Cause from the student webportal says that I have no college.
Original post by Farah Baharin
How do I know which college I'm in? Cause from the student webportal says that I have no college.

There may be multiple reasons for this, one of which is that the Accommodation Office may still be allocating accommodation types/colleges. I believe that they will be sending a 'Welcome to Your College' email shortly and that the Colleges will also be sending their own emails this month but if you would prefer you can contact the Accommodation Team on +44 (0)1524 594910 or [email protected]

Reply 57
Original post by Lancaster University
I assume that this is for Furness College, as this is the only college I know of that runs a ghost walk. If so, please can you contact the College Office and they will be able to assist further.

Can you go to other college's events?
Do we have option to switch to other college? (Its not for accommodation purpose tho cause Im living off campus)
Original post by SuperAl
Can you go to other college's events?

In Welcome Week you will stay within your Colleges though there will be plenty of interaction with other colleges, such as on Big Night Out. Throughout the year there are other events held by each college which may be opened up to members of other colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest