The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

"Big Issue Pleeeeeeeeeeeease" and Tango Man.

Poll

What do you think about the beggars in Durham?

Semi-rant here.

What do you guys think of the beggars in Durham?

I'm speaking specifically of the Big Issue women and the gypsies (the male gypsy is a bizarre shade of orange. I say stay away from him unless you want to be tangoed!) :biggrin:

Cast your votes fellow Durham peeps! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meh.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Becca
Meh.

Meh you don't like them? Or Meh postcount +1? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Tufts
Meh you don't like them? Or Meh postcount +1? :biggrin:

Meh I'm indifferent to them.
Reply 4
I hate them, they should all be shot.
Reply 5
Durham has such a minimal amount of homeless people...

I don't think my day would be complete without the lady who says Big Issue in the most WEIRD way. You would have thought they'd teach people how to pronounce it.

But seriously, they are just surviving the way that they need to and people so priveleged as Durham uni students so often are can't really complain.
Reply 6
The only ones that really annoy me are the charity workers in the red vests who try and force you to give them your bank details. Erm, NO?
Reply 7
The ones in Edinburgh were pretty useless. They'd hang about cash machines, asking for spare change. Cash machines!

"Aye, hold on mate, I'll take a tenner out for ye. PISH AFF"
Reply 8
Big Issue I am not bothered about, at least they are trying to do something. The gypsies scare me, and I have seen them corner and stop an old lady before, it is their attitude and what they seel 'lucky charm for a gypsie' which is basically one of those free toys that you get from an imitation kinder egg. It's not even a kinder egg toy!!!

I hate the gypsies to bits, they have no reason for being there and they really and I am amazed they haven't been sent away by the authorities.

Ian
Reply 9
Tufts
What do you guys think of the beggars in Durham?

I'm speaking specifically of the Big Issue women

Well then you're an arsehole - who do you think you ****ing are thinking you can sit there in your comfortable room doing a degree at a top-class university and have a "rant" about a woman who is simply trying to make some money for her and her kids?!?!?! (Trevs magazine did an interview with her - she's not the luckiest person in the world!)

Next time you walk past her, don't start being ****ing annoyed with her and either just ignore her (is it THAT hard?!?) or buy a Big Issue to help her out.

Lately I've been getting SO ****ing pissed off with people in this world who don't even stop to think how lucky they are whilst there are people around the world being abused from a young age, being forced into labour, being raped and tortured, being born into an unloving family or a dangerous location.

Just ****ing THINK next time, will you? :mad:
Reply 10
Recent conversation while walking through Durham:

Gypsy scum: 'Lucky charm?'
Me: *silence, keeps walking*
Gypsy scum: 'You're going to die then'
Reply 11
dobbs
Well then you're an arsehole - who do you think you ****ing are thinking you can sit there in your comfortable room doing a degree at a top-class university and have a "rant" about a woman who is simply trying to make some money for her and her kids?!?!?! (Trevs magazine did an interview with her - she's not the luckiest person in the world!)

Next time you walk past her, don't start being ****ing annoyed with her and either just ignore her (is it THAT hard?!?) or buy a Big Issue to help her out.

Lately I've been getting SO ****ing pissed off with people in this world who don't even stop to think how lucky they are whilst there are people around the world being abused from a young age, being forced into labour, being raped and tortured, being born into an unloving family or a dangerous location.

Just ****ing THINK next time, will you? :mad:

Touchie. :eek:

Where did *I* give my opinion on the Big Issue woman?
Reply 12
Tufts
Touchie. :eek:

Where did *I* give my opinion on the Big Issue woman?

You said it was a "semi-rant" ....in other words "expressing a strong opinion on something you disagree with" ..I'd say that is what a 'rant' is.

If you're perfectly happy with them, then you wouldn't start threads like this :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Semi-rant, as in a half-rant. Tango man is v.scary ;yes;

dobbs

If you're perfectly happy with them, then you wouldn't start threads like this :rolleyes:

Because I've seen them mentioned a few times in durham chat and I was pondering what the general consensus was.

You sound angry and hostile. But I'm not sure why :confused:
Reply 14
I have my reasons
I get why he is angry. It probably just came across the wrong way but it really gave the impression that you were complaining. They aren't hurting anybody and pose no threat.

(as for the charity people in the red vest things. i am terrified of them. most of them seem to take the form of fit guys and the only way i can ever resist is to say i haven't got my debit card details on me... they get paid to do it though, this scares me more. i have developed avoidal tactics such as looking down at the floor or avoiding going over the framwellgate bridge..)
Reply 16
sophiefluff
I get why he is angry. It probably just came across the wrong way but it really gave the impression that you were complaining. They aren't hurting anybody and pose no threat.

(as for the charity people in the red vest things. i am terrified of them. most of them seem to take the form of fit guys and the only way i can ever resist is to say i haven't got my debit card details on me... they get paid to do it though, this scares me more. i have developed avoidal tactics such as looking down at the floor or avoiding going over the framwellgate bridge..)

Hmm it's quite hard to avoid framwellgate bridge sometimes though!
I hate the red vests people, I just say NO as soon as one dares even move an inch in my direction!
Reply 17
The people who try and make you sign up for things are ****. Seriously, shut the **** up. I'm not interested when you'll just spend my donation on coffee granules for your phone workers... I have minues 800 quid, idiot.

BI lady doesn't annoy me, and I've never seen tango man. But the drunken busker, who is usually near subway does make me feel rather unsafe when he's shouting at inanimate objects like they were alive... But I don't think he's dangerous, really, to other people.

The only inherently **** thing about Durham is the anti-student local population who think they can **** all over us because they assume we are all priviliged toffs driving ferraris and going for lunch at cafe nero... so they SPIT on me.

If they ever did that to me and weren't in a car, I would use whatever objects were closest to hand to snap their neck and kill them. The absolute ****ing scummers.
Reply 18
dobbs
Well then you're an arsehole - who do you think you ****ing are thinking you can sit there in your comfortable room doing a degree at a top-class university and have a "rant" about a woman who is simply trying to make some money

I thoroughly agree - how would you feel if you were in the same situation? Unsympathetic git.
Reply 19
RobbieC
The people who try and make you sign up for things are ****. Seriously, shut the **** up. I'm not interested when you'll just spend my donation on coffee granules for your phone workers... I have minues 800 quid, idiot.

BI lady doesn't annoy me, and I've never seen tango man. But the drunken busker, who is usually near subway does make me feel rather unsafe when he's shouting at inanimate objects like they were alive... But I don't think he's dangerous, really, to other people.

The only inherently **** thing about Durham is the anti-student local population who think they can **** all over us because they assume we are all priviliged toffs driving ferraris and going for lunch at cafe nero... so they SPIT on me.

If they ever did that to me and weren't in a car, I would use whatever objects were closest to hand to snap their neck and kill them. The absolute ****ing scummers.

I can't believe someone spat on you. That's truly awful. :frown:

Latest