The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream- Summer Diversity Internship 2016

I know it's mega early but just wanted to see who else is applying for the SDIP with Civil Service Fast Stream for next year :smile:

I'm hoping to! - Fingers crossed I can get Houses of Parliament or Department of Culture, Media and Sport...

Scroll to see replies

The internship is always a good idea as I know a couple people who did one and were told as long as they got a 2:2 at Uni they would get a place on the graduate scheme. Saved them having to apply against thousands of others for the fast track.
I just completed the SDIP and was placed in HMRC.. Any questions -- feel free to ask :smile:

Original post by Mega0448
The internship is always a good idea as I know a couple people who did one and were told as long as they got a 2:2 at Uni they would get a place on the graduate scheme. Saved them having to apply against thousands of others for the fast track.

The Civil Service recruit based on merit only and so it doesn't matter how exceptional you are, they cannot offer you a place on the Fast Stream. You have to apply through the same means as everyone else. It's sadly not like private sector internships!!
Original post by nicole.94
I just completed the SDIP and was placed in HMRC.. Any questions -- feel free to ask :smile:

The Civil Service recruit based on merit only and so it doesn't matter how exceptional you are, they cannot offer you a place on the Fast Stream. You have to apply through the same means as everyone else. It's sadly not like private sector internships!!

Well I for a fact know someone who was offered a place on the HMRC graduate program and they did the internship. Maybe not the fast stream but other public sector departments do offer this.
hey :smile:

I'm planning on applying for the internship!

I want to join the social research service :smile:

Not sure whether I should apply for fastrack for this year too?
I only started looking into working for the civil service a couple of weeks ago and don't really feel prepared (plus I have a commitment I can't get out of on the last week of the EAC period). What even is the EAC? On the page mentioned are the SRAC and FSAC but no EAC until the bottom where it says when you need to be available :P Is it a typo? Or is it worth applying for the experience of the interviews?

Also, it says this is 'round 1' will there be another opportunity to apply for the social research service later in the year?

Many thanks in advance x
Reply 5
I only found about it in the last week but I'd really like to apply, it sounds amazing! got a lot of research to do before i feel vaguely ready to apply--haven't even looked into departments yet--but feeling keen :smile:
Original post by Mega0448
Well I for a fact know someone who was offered a place on the HMRC graduate program and they did the internship. Maybe not the fast stream but other public sector departments do offer this.

Oh really... Okay, I haven't heard of that. The most I know is that they recruit based on merit and for any position you must apply like everybody else.

Original post by Sopih
I only found about it in the last week but I'd really like to apply, it sounds amazing! got a lot of research to do before i feel vaguely ready to apply--haven't even looked into departments yet--but feeling keen :smile:

I just finished my placement. It was amazing and I would encourage anyone to apply! I went from having 0 knowledge about the Civil Service to knowing how it all operates including an insight into how HMRC works. Some people I know were placed in some really exciting departments and roles (which sucked as I was in HR in HMRC). However, it is what you make of it and you can get exposure to areas outside where you're placed! There is also a coaching programme offered to SDIP participants. I managed to score a place on that which is an added benefit :-)
Reply 7
I just finished my placement. It was amazing and I would encourage anyone to apply! I went from having 0 knowledge about the Civil Service to knowing how it all operates including an insight into how HMRC works. Some people I know were placed in some really exciting departments and roles (which sucked as I was in HR in HMRC). However, it is what you make of it and you can get exposure to areas outside where you're placed! There is also a coaching programme offered to SDIP participants. I managed to score a place on that which is an added benefit :-)

it all sounds so great o: it'll be the first jobby thing/internship i've gone for so i'm on a steep learning curve. how much would you recommend knowing about the department you'd like best/government overall before applying, or is not really necessary in the application? i know you only get to express a preference as to where you go, not to choose it!
I am wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to apply for the summer diversity internship and the grad fast track scheme within the same year?

I am from a low income family but relatively privileged in other ways - white, went to a good school etc and don't know if I would qualify for the internship but don't want to waste my application if I can't apply for the grad scheme within the same year?
Original post by Sopih
it all sounds so great o: it'll be the first jobby thing/internship i've gone for so i'm on a steep learning curve. how much would you recommend knowing about the department you'd like best/government overall before applying, or is not really necessary in the application? i know you only get to express a preference as to where you go, not to choose it!

Oh you'll definitely learn a lot from it then as a first job! It was an incredible experience for me, having no knowledge of the Civil Service. You learn a LOT in a very short amount of time!

When it comes to departments, I was placed in HMRC and my application was geared towards somewhere like Dept for Education or somewhere like that. Many people were in the same boat as me -- not getting their preferences.

As such, my advice isn't to research a particular department but to research the Civil Service and the internship itself. They are keen on you applying for the Fast Stream if you are successful in the SDIP. It's kind of the whole point and gives them a return of investment! So, research the Civil Service and how it works but to be honest I didn't know a great deal. The application itself is more why you want to participate in the internship and so this can encompass learning about the Civil Service, etc etc. From what I remember, nothing is asked about "Why the Civil Service?" however you should have your motivations for why you want to work for the public sector to incorporate into other questions that fall under and relate to "Why the SDIP?"

Hope that helps :smile:

Original post by roflcakes1
I am wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to apply for the summer diversity internship and the grad fast track scheme within the same year?

I am from a low income family but relatively privileged in other ways - white, went to a good school etc and don't know if I would qualify for the internship but don't want to waste my application if I can't apply for the grad scheme within the same year?

You can apply for both, but if you're successful on the Fast Stream then you have to withdraw your application for the internship :smile:

Coming from a low socio-economic background is one of the strands of the criteria so you should be eligible!

Hey, just wondering how long the placement is and when does it start?

Also, any tips for the online tests... they're so hard :frown:

thank you !

Hey, just wondering how long the placement is and when does it start?Also, any tips for the online tests... they're so hard :frown:thank you !
Hi
Has anyone done the online tests and waiting? I did the tests just over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything?
[QUOTE="ryanthatsme;60026301"]

Hey, just wondering how long the placement is and when does it start?

Also, any tips for the online tests... they're so hard :frown:

thank you !

Sorry for the late reply here!
Placements are 6-9 weeks, mine was 9 weeks. They start at the end of June - mid July depending on your placement.

Online tests.. just practice! For the competency questionnaire, digest the civil service competency framework at levels 2 and 3 :smile:

Original post by cardigansandjeans
Hi
Has anyone done the online tests and waiting? I did the tests just over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything?

They might be waiting for more people to complete tests to compute an average score and thus mark you accordingly.
Reply 14
Original post by cardigansandjeans
Hi

I just did the tests yesterday.....

In the fast track scheme, the results are usually out in a day or two depending where you score compared to others that have taken the test. I've done both the GSR and the SDIP this year......my back up plan if I dont past the SRAC for the GSR.

Good Luck!!
Does anyone know when the deadline for SDIP applications is? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I know about the whole 7 day thing per step. I'm just trying to put it off a because I'm really bad at maths so need a bit of practice before I take the tests and I'm quite busy with uni work at the mo.

Also do they give out places on the internship on a rolling basis? Is it worth getting my application completed ASAP?

Thanks, I'm really interested in working in the Civil Service once I graduate so would love to get a place on this to see what it's like!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Use Err Name
Does anyone know when the deadline for SDIP applications is?
4th January 2016 -
https://candidate.faststream.gov.uk/FastStream2016/
Reply 17
Hi guys quick question! If I apply for the civil service fast stream now, complete the online tests, will those same tests be used for my application to the summer diversity internship? Is there anyway to avoid this if this is the case? Thanks for any help!
What exactly is the competency questionnaire? Do you have to provide evidence of is it just multiple choice?
Reply 19
i completed the online tests like a month ago. does anyone know how long they take to give the result of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending