The Student Room Group

Clearing in pharmacy...does it happen?

Hi,i was just wondering if after getting your A-Level results in august and they are better than expected,could you then go through clearing to go to a "better" university?I've heard that if you make the grades for your firm and insurance uni then they won't release u is that tru?i am taking resits in some of my subjects and i am hoping to get higher marks but i did not want to apply to a uni quite high in the tables directly because of my fear of rejection.i would quite like to go to bath,aston or notts.:confused:
Reply 1
Mates did that, they also gave us the story about it being legally binding blah if you meet firm uni grades, they just got a release number (forgot proper name) and then that is given to the new uni. A mate applied to Kings missed out and got into Reading. Reading ainght half bad. Although he didn't get the firm unis grades, im just showing you can get to decent uni through clearing, one also got into LSP. If you get firm grades, you shouldnt have problem declining it if you find somewhere better because your grades came out for the better.
Reply 2
seriously LSP???woah i thought all these "prestigious" universities didn't enter themselves through clearing, coz i asked manchester and they sed they haven' been entered for clesring for the past three years and its highly unlikely that they will do so in the near future.but reading ure reply has actually made me feel a bit better.thanx.x
Reply 3
xadex
seriously LSP???woah i thought all these "prestigious" universities didn't enter themselves through clearing, coz i asked manchester and they sed they haven' been entered for clesring for the past three years and its highly unlikely that they will do so in the near future.but reading ure reply has actually made me feel a bit better.thanx.x

Well I got offers from Nottingham and Manchester through Clearing last August even though they told me they had no vacancies. They basically asked me to send them my details and then Nottingham invited me to an interview, rejected me then gave me an offer, and Manchester gave me an offer without an interview. I however declined both offers in order to reapply for Medicine.

I know for a fact that Pharmacy schools do go into clearing but they don't advertise their vacancies. The best thing to do is to phone them on results day. I know places like Nottingham, Manchester, LSOP King's and even Bath have accepted people onto the course in late August when you'd otherwise expect the courses to be full. There's more leeway to accept students after publications of the results in Pharmacy than say in Medicine or Dentistry.
Reply 4
British Bulldog
Well I got offers from Nottingham and Manchester through Clearing last August even though they told me they had no vacancies. They basically asked me to send them my details and then Nottingham invited me to an interview, rejected me then gave me an offer, and Manchester gave me an offer without an interview. I however declined both offers in order to reapply for Medicine.

I know for a fact that Pharmacy schools do go into clearing but they don't advertise their vacancies. The best thing to do is to phone them on results day. I know places like Nottingham, Manchester, LSOP King's and even Bath have accepted people onto the course in late August when you'd otherwise expect the courses to be full. There's more leeway to accept students after publications of the results in Pharmacy than say in Medicine or Dentistry.

For those universities mentioned,do you know if they would accept you if your grades are lowere than their entry reqirements, say you grt BBB and their normal requirements are ABB?
I know i'm asking too many questions but i really need to know its important,the teachers in my school don't really care unless your applying to OXBRIDGE!
Reply 5
xadex
For those universities mentioned,do you know if they would accept you if your grades are lowere than their entry reqirements, say you grt BBB and their normal requirements are ABB?
I know i'm asking too many questions but i really need to know its important,the teachers in my school don't really care unless your applying to OXBRIDGE!

You'd need be holding grades equal to or exceeding the standard entry requirements if you're looking to get in via clearing for Pharmacy. A lot of universities accept a number of people who miss their grades but they were usually holding a conditional firm offer from them in the first place.
I bet places like Wolverhampton will be in clearning ...
Reply 7
pharmacy schools are always in clearing last year my friend got into brighton ,U.E.A sunderland and a couple of others. I think cardiff was even there.
Reply 8
LSOP was in the clearing papers last year.
If you decide not to do pharmacy there are loads of courses related
I saw Imperial and UCL in clearing for biochemistry and molecular biology respectivly
Reply 9
cujo
pharmacy schools are always in clearing last year my friend got into brighton ,U.E.A sunderland and a couple of others. I think cardiff was even there.

is U.E.A any good?because i can swear its not on any of the league tables.is it new or something?
Reply 10
UEA only started their pharmacy course last year I think (or maybe the year before) but either way it hasn't produced any graduates yet so that's why it's probably not in the league tables. UEA ranks well in the general league tables but TBH I wouldn't study pharmacy there if you have the option to go to Bath, Manchester, Notingham, King's or LSOP which are the best pharmacy schools, with Bath, Manchester and Nottingham being the best.
Reply 11
-Emmz-
I bet places like Wolverhampton will be in clearning ...

Not sure that comment was entirely necessary. I have several friends at that university and it may not have the highest academic requirements but that does not automatically mean it's no good.
Miss Lisa
Not sure that comment was entirely necessary. I have several friends at that university and it may not have the highest academic requirements but that does not automatically mean it's no good.

How do you even know what I meant? The newer schools are pharmacy are more likely to be in clearing than the established ones because there's no indication of how good they are yet. I didn't say it wasn't any good.
Reply 13
Agree with what -Emmz- said although she could have perhaps been a bit more clearer. It is not uncommon for the newer pharmacy schools to be present in clearing such as Keele, UEA, Wolverhampton, UClan etc.

In reality some of these schools do have lower admissions requirements however it's also worth pointing out that not everyone is going to achieve the ABB required to go to places like Bath or Manchester.

At least with Pharmacy there are a wide range of institution which one can attend with varying entry requirements.
LSOP and Manchester are available in UCAS extra. So unless these get filled now (i.e. someone who has complete rejection for med), or lots of med applicants fail to meet their offers on results day, then it's very likely they'd be in clearing too.
Last year,

UEA (you had to go for an interview the following weekend after results)
Bradford
Reading
Kingston
Sunderland
Wolverhampton

entered clearing but you needed a B in chemistry to get in. However Sunderland did accept me after a little pleading with a C in chemistry but i decided to turn them down as i didnt really want to be there for 4 years.

Basically get a B in Chemistry and you will be sorted and dont go lower than a B or C in ur other subjects!! Obviously just meeting ur offer in the first place is the best rule of thumb.

Remember B in Chemistry!!!
Reply 16
You'll struggle with Pharmacy with anything less than a C, hence you won't be accepted onto the course.
Reply 17
You shouldn't really be doing pharmacy with anything less than a B really.Having said so, only God knows wot i'm going to get in the end i only got a C in AS (one mark off a B though) but itt all adds up so ive got to work extra hard to get a B,especially because i'll probably find it difficult doing pharmacy since it is chemistry based if i get anything less,right?
Reply 18
I know someone last year who applied to LSOP with grades ABC with a C in chemistry and was given an unconditional offer. Albeit he was resitting his grades for Medicine so he did move it up to an A.
Wait I emailed Manchester for ucas extra this year -sorry I know it ain;t clearing- and they said they don't do extra but it says they do on the ucas website:confused:
Does that mean even if I place manchester as an extra I shall be immediately rejected?

Latest

Trending

Trending