The Student Room Group

Is the concept of soulmates realistic?

Apparently a mathematician called Backus worked out the probability of finding love in the UK is only about 100 times better than finding intelligent life in our galaxy!

So do you think the concept of soulmates is realistic?

If not, does that mean we have to settle for someone less than perfect for us?

Scroll to see replies

What's the probability of finding intelligent life in the UK? :holmes:
Realistic 70-100 years ago, not in today's society
Reply 3
Depends what you mean by finding love.
What is a soul mate?
Being able to find love I think is a realistic goal. However "soul mates" and having one single person in the world who you can love and be successful with. Nope, nonsense.
Original post by SophieSmall
Being able to find love I think is a realistic goal. However "soul mates" and having one single person in the world who you can love and be successful with. Nope, nonsense.

But I suffer from chronic grass is greener syndrome. Knowing the above just means I will constantly be wondering. I wish humans humans just sexed everything and everyone :frown: Damn monogamy.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But I suffer from chronic grass is greener syndrome. Knowing the above just means I will constantly be wondering. I wish humans humans just sexed everything and everyone :frown: Damn monogamy.

Why does your soulmate have to be someone you're having intercourse with? Why couldn't it just be a friends you feel that way about?
Original post by william walker
What is a soul mate?

"a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner"
Original post by Queen Cersei

You just got to be the one that has settled with someone higher up the dating market than you :colone:
I don't think so. I don't think they exist
Everything in life has to be replaced. Remote control batteries, teeth, friends, mobile phones, fridge food, clothes, women...nothing can stand the test of time. You don't have to permanently settle for anything. Stay with someone for however long you want, then when you get bored and want a change, find someone else. When someone better comes along, you can upgrade. You don't need a soulmate, just sex basically, and you can get that without too much difficulty.
It's not at all a realistic idea/prospect, but I'm a hopeless Disney-fed romantic :moon:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's not at all a realistic idea/prospect, but I'm a hopeless Disney-fed romantic :moon:

So am I :colondollar: Waiting for a prince charming that doesn't exist. :moon:
My prince charming will come :colondollar: I know he will...I am waiting for you dear...:blush:
Original post by Queen Cersei

Welcome to the real world...

Perfection is an unattainable fantasy.
Original post by picklescamp
I don't think so. I don't think they exist

Same
Only people you are compatible with

:daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming::daydreaming:

Original post by drowzee
So am I :colondollar: Waiting for a prince charming that doesn't exist. :moon:

He does, I know he does :daydreaming: he is somewhere in the world....
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
My prince charming will come :colondollar: I know he will...I am waiting for you dear...:blush:

You need to forget that fantasy like I did, he doesn't exist. :redface:

Amen

Quick Reply