The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm going for Self-Catered accomodation as well!... i'm not the type of person who fits into a catered residence ... i like to eat when i want, sleep when i want, do wat i want when i want ... that's why self catered accom was my obvious choice.

Having said that, catered accomodation was rather pricy for me too ... pollock halls look awesome though, and from wat i hear they have excellent facilities, and living in them is like living in a top hotel!

It was in january time that i applied ... but from wat i can remember, Morgan Court was my first choice. Let's hope i get that! :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I applied for self-catered too. Don't particularly fancy British food :eek: :rolleyes:

My first option was Warrender Park Crescent. Should hear from them soon, I hope!
Reply 3
i applied for
pollocks
kitchener
david horn
fraser court
I think the self catered flats are supposed to be very good in comparison to other unis. I've visited people at the uni recently and they reccomended Warrender Park Crescent and Darroch Court as the best two.

Personally, I'm going self catered next year - any one else doing geography?
Reply 5
I know I probably seem paranoid, but am I correct in thinking that 16th August is the deadline for accommodation forms? It's just that it seems later than other unis, and other people seem to have got theirs in.
Reply 6
scruffypippin
Warrender Park Crescent and Darroch Court as the best two.

I think I'm going to put Darroch Court as my first choice for s/c!!! :smile:
Reply 7
Sereonaranel
I applied for self-catered too. Don't particularly fancy British food :eek: :rolleyes:

Lol, from what I've heard Pollock Halls food is pretty good as canteen food goes.
Reply 8
I applied for accomodation earlier this year, and i remember writing down warrender park n darroch court as part of my choices ... sounds like i made a good choice! :smile:
Alexander
Lol, from what I've heard Pollock Halls food is pretty good as canteen food goes.

Yea well me = not used to food in which the main spice is fat! :biggrin: :tongue: But I bet in a year, all I'll be eating is fish and chips, or chips inside some sort of pie :eek: I still can't quite understand that... LOL
Reply 10
Can't anybody cook around here? lol ... I can...

I look forward to cooking! :biggrin: Should be fun!
Reply 11
sshah
Can't anybody cook around here? lol ... I can...

I look forward to cooking! :biggrin: Should be fun!

I look forward to blowing my student loan on takeaway food. The only things I can cook are pasta, toast and errmmm....do pot noodle's count as cooking?!? :confused: :biggrin:
Leekey
I look forward to blowing my student loan on takeaway food. The only things I can cook are pasta, toast and errmmm....do pot noodle's count as cooking?!? :confused: :biggrin:

I think they do, just as long as it's something you can burn :biggrin:

But I can cook, it'll be weird cooking just for myself, I usually cook for our whole family.. and don't ask how many of us there are!
Sereonaranel

But I can cook, it'll be weird cooking just for myself, I usually cook for our whole family.. and don't ask how many of us there are!

If you're good at cooking I'm sure you'll find plenty of friends who're willing to let you cook for them....
Reply 14
When my mum was at uni, she had a group of friends and the female ones would do all the cooking while the blokes would do all the housework. Sounds like a good arrangement :biggrin:

Sereonaranel
Yea well me = not used to food in which the main spice is fat! :biggrin: :tongue: But I bet in a year, all I'll be eating is fish and chips, or chips inside some sort of pie :eek: I still can't quite understand that... LOL

Chips in a pie? Sounds interesting :eek: Just wait til you get to the haggis and deep fried mars bars in batter {attempts to stop drooling}
Reply 15
Acaila
When my mum was at uni, she had a group of friends and the female ones would do all the cooking while the blokes would do all the housework. Sounds like a good arrangement :biggrin:

Sad that I would be completely in favour of this arrangement (as long as I don't do the toilet because that just.... :eek: ). I actually look quite fetching in a pinny and marigolds!!! :biggrin:
Acaila
When my mum was at uni, she had a group of friends and the female ones would do all the cooking while the blokes would do all the housework. Sounds like a good arrangement

Sounds good to me too! And someone else would have to do the dishes too :smile:

Acaila
Chips in a pie? Sounds interesting :eek: Just wait til you get to the haggis and deep fried mars bars in batter {attempts to stop drooling}

I threw up all night last night and now this... Deep fried mars bars sound.. yeuch *shudder* :frown: So I'm definitely bringing my own food for the whole year!!
Reply 17
If Edinburgh is our insurance choice, are we still supposed to have filled out that blue accommodation form we received? If so, oh shit.
Reply 18
Im doing a gap year but have accepted Edinburgh as my first choice :smile: So glad I got an offer-I love it up there! Only person from my yr going tho which is a bit odd...

Anways! As Im doing a gap year do I have to send in my accomodation form? Ive tried to contact them a few times but the office is always stupidly busy.

Self catering is the only way to go!! Though Pollock Halls are great and close to things and they do have a good atmosphere....
Reply 19
Someguy
If Edinburgh is our insurance choice, are we still supposed to have filled out that blue accommodation form we received? If so, oh shit.

Um... yeah. Not wanting to cause you undue stress, but I sent miny blue form in (insurance offer) many months ago. But I haven't had anything confirmed, so maybe the deadline hasn't passed...?

A group of my friends, all with uncon. offers, had their self-catering flat confirmed about a month ago. They loved Darroch Court but heard it was the most difficult to get into. Can't remember where they're going, somewhere near Commercial Street. Possibly.

I applied for Pollock Halls - not sure sharing everything with thousands of strangers is going to be easy to settle down to, but never mind :smile: .

Latest

Trending

Trending