The Student Room Group

Do students have cars?

I am planning to get a car when I'm at uni so I can go home easily, do you know of any students who have cars and can I park at college?
Original post by SelfMade
I am planning to get a car when I'm at uni so I can go home easily, do you know of any students who have cars and can I park at college?

Don't know about Oxford, but at Cambridge undergraduates are not allowed to keep your car in Cambridge during term times unless you have special reason that you really need a car, like 1) medical/physical reason, 2) need to travel to/from home during term frequently for family commitment (ie, because you have a dependent family member you're responsible of their care), 3) need to travel to locations for academic purpose that are not easily accessible by public transport/bike (ie. Vetenerary medic for practicals), 4) other exceptional circumstace that's deemed to be essential to have a car during term times.
And you'll need a special permission by your tutor to get a licence to bring a car and use university/college's car park.
Unless your need to 'go home easily' fits the reason of (2) above, I don't think you can get a permission to park your car at college's car park. The only case I know of in such a circumstace who were allowed to have a car was someone who had a disabled mother and he was her primary carer.

Detailed info here. A part of them are for university staff but you'll get a general idea about their policy regarding cars, and restriction for undergraduate students are stricter than for staff. A part of the reasons are because there's a strict regulation by the city of Cambridge on private cars in the city centre and the university is under the regulation, too.

http://www.em.admin.cam.ac.uk/operating-estate/facilities-management/car-parking-and-park-cycle

http://www.proctors.cam.ac.uk/motor-proctor
(edited 8 years ago)
Both cities are an absolute nightmare for cars, both in terms of driving and parking. Even if the car and insurance were free, I think you'd actively NOT want to have a car whilst there just because finding somewhere to keep it is so hard.
Both places hate the motorcar, not very practical.
They may or may not have a car, but no-one drives.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
They may or may not have a car, but no-one drives.

There's a few with car with special permission because of some exceptional reason/circumstance. I know three undergrads who are/were allowed to keep their car at their college for various reasons. But they are exceptions.
Sigh - Oxford has horrendous parking restrictions. My college told me at one point that I wasn't allowed to have a car "in the city" - never mind park in their precious car park.

In Oxford you used to be able to park on Five Mile Dr, or somewhere dodgy like Cowley.
Reply 7
Original post by Awesome Genius
Sigh - Oxford has horrendous parking restrictions. My college told me at one point that I wasn't allowed to have a car "in the city" - never mind park in their precious car park.

In Oxford you used to be able to park on Five Mile Dr, or somewhere dodgy like Cowley.

So you kept the car or no? I would be willing to pay £10k a year if I could park at college.
Original post by SelfMade
I would be willing to pay £10k a year if I could park at college.

Why man, just take the helicopter init
Reply 9
Why man, just take the helicopter init

That would add up if I go home every weekend, lol.
Yea I kept a car. Parked it far away on five mile drive (for free) and then took the bus to the car if I needed it - that's a 15 min overhead.

Risky if your car is nice since it's just bein parked on a street.

Could you not have your driver just drive the car round and round the city for days until you need to use it - that way you would never need to park!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Yea I kept a car. Parked it far away on five mile drive (for free) and then took the bus to the car if I needed it - that's a 15 min overhead.

Risky if your car is nice since it's just bein parked on a street.

Could you not have your driver just drive the car round and round the city for days until you need to use it - that way you would never need to park!

Okay, I'll probably have to get a cheaper car now, don't want to get it keyed. Was thinking of a black on black range rover evoque. Lmao the mileage gains would be ridiculous.
Interesting.....
Just realised I've seen you before. You seem to love to talk a lot about your money and what you can do with it.
Also, you already have your AS results, if we believe your posts in Cambridge forum. Why are you asking about the car situations for both universities now? Haven't you applied yet?

How real are you? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending