The Student Room Group

Sciences Po PSIA Applications for 2016 Entry

Just thought I'd see if there was anyone else out there?

I have completed and submitted my application for International Public Management.

I already have a BA and and a J.D. degree in related topics. So far the admissions tutors have been really quick to respond and have been super helpful, actually.

Anyone have any experience of applying to/getting into PSIA as an American law student?

What will you be applying for this year and with what background?

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there, I'm applying for IPS, still haven't finished my application, though . I'm a Bulgarian applicant, in my final year of BA (Public administration). I'm nothing spectacular, judging by the people from last year, still hope to get in, though.

Had to retake my TOEFL (I took it in high-school, but it's been a really long time ago, so they didn't want to take it, hope i score well again, waiting for my results). Good luck : ) !
Reply 2
Hi! I am finishing my law degree in Portugal and applied to the International Security master. Hope to get in, it is my first option! Good luck to everyone who applied to PSIA :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! I am finishing my bachelor in law in Portugal and applied to the International Security master! Hope to get in, it is my first option! Good luck to everyone who applied to PSIA :smile:
Reply 4
Hi everyone!
I've submitted an application to PSIA's International Public Management degree with a BA background in European Studies. Having read many threads about past years' applications and results, I'm getting really nervous about the result notifications!
Reply 5
Hey everyone!
I applied and submitted my application for a master in International Development two weeks ago. I received an email today stating that my file was admissible and that I should expect a response by mid-December.
My background is a BA in Political Science with an economics minor. Good luck to all of us. Sciences Po is a really cool school.
Floridagator, have you received the email stating whether your file is admissible or not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello everyone,

I'm applying for the Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action programme. I submitted my application last week, and am now waiting for the 'admissible' email.
I did my Bachelor's in French Studies. My courses mainly focused on 20th Century literature and history. In addition to this, I also did translation studies, an introductory course to linguistics and economics. Most courses and coursework were in French [except for the translation modules and a few select courses].
I have been working for the Alliance Française in Bangkok for almost a year now, mainly working in administration and some translation. Also was invited to be an English to French interpreter for a conference on HIV/AIDS, grant-making, and the Global Fund organisation.
Really hoping to hear back soon from the good people at Sciences Po.
Reply 7
Original post by Cocochep
Hey everyone!
I applied and submitted my application for a master in International Development two weeks ago. I received an email today stating that my file was admissible and that I should expect a response by mid-December.
My background is a BA in Political Science with an economics minor. Good luck to all of us. Sciences Po is a really cool school.
Floridagator, have you received the email stating whether your file is admissible or not?

I also received the admissible email yesterday. I don't quite get what the "admissible" stage really means. Does it simply mean our application is complete or does it mean we meet the minimum admission requirements to be considered by the committee? I have read that some people actually got a "non-admissible" email, so I'm not quite sure if this is actually the first stage of selection.
Reply 8
I'm looking to apply in 2017 for international security masters. For those applying for international security, do you have any relevant work experience?
Original post by miiru
I also received the admissible email yesterday. I don't quite get what the "admissible" stage really means. Does it simply mean our application is complete or does it mean we meet the minimum admission requirements to be considered by the committee? I have read that some people actually got a "non-admissible" email, so I'm not quite sure if this is actually the first stage of selection.

I think 'admissible' means you have met both the minimum entry requirements; i.e. - sufficient grades, and also that there isn't any compulsory element/document missing from your file.

May I ask how long it took for you to get the admissible email after you had submitted your application?
Reply 10
Original post by prohairesis
I think 'admissible' means you have met both the minimum entry requirements; i.e. - sufficient grades, and also that there isn't any compulsory element/document missing from your file.

May I ask how long it took for you to get the admissible email after you had submitted your application?

It took me one and a half week to receive the admissible email. I think they do it in bulk though, since everyone who applied in around mid-November seems to get the email on the same day.
I'm applying for Human Rights and Humanitarian Action - haven't submitted yet because my last recommendation is taking a while. Hopefully soon :smile:
Original post by worldlyjourno
I'm applying for Human Rights and Humanitarian Action - haven't submitted yet because my last recommendation is taking a while. Hopefully soon :smile:

I've noticed there aren't that many HR&HA applicants compared to the other PSIA programmes such as International Security.
May I ask what you studied at Bachelor level and what kind of work experience you have?
Hope all goes well for you!
I've noticed there aren't that many HR&HA applicants compared to the other PSIA programmes such as International Security.
May I ask what you studied at Bachelor level and what kind of work experience you have?
Hope all goes well for you!

My degree is in journalism - I'm not like most people on this board, I graduated from undergrad many years ago. I've been an international network tv news journalist for 10 years.

I think my admission chances are slim because they seem to value GPA over relevant work experience, but you never know until you try! Good luck to you as well.
Hello!

I am applying for the Human Rights and Humanitarian Action MA for the 2016 intake. Planning to submit my application this week!

This is my second MA so I am not sure what kind of minimum grade requirements will be applicable for me. I did speak to an admission counsellor in person and they seemed very supportive.

I have a question about the application though - what kind of additional documents have you uploaded, if any? I am talking about the optional supporting documents at the end of various sections.

Thank you and good luck everyone!
Hello everyone,

I'm applying for the Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action programme. I submitted my application last week, and am now waiting for the 'admissible' email.
I did my Bachelor's in French Studies. My courses mainly focused on 20th Century literature and history. In addition to this, I also did translation studies, an introductory course to linguistics and economics. Most courses and coursework were in French [except for the translation modules and a few select courses].
I have been working for the Alliance Française in Bangkok for almost a year now, mainly working in administration and some translation. Also was invited to be an English to French interpreter for a conference on HIV/AIDS, grant-making, and the Global Fund organisation.
Really hoping to hear back soon from the good people at Sciences Po.

Hello!

I am applying for the Human Rights and Humanitarian Action MA for the 2016 intake. Planning to submit my application this week!

I have a question about the application - what kind of additional documents have you uploaded, if any? I am talking about the optional supporting documents at the end of each sections

Thanks and good luck!
Original post by dawdleduck
Hello!

I have a question about the application - what kind of additional documents have you uploaded, if any? I am talking about the optional supporting documents at the end of each sections

Thanks and good luck!

Hello,

Nice to hear from a fellow HR&HA applicant.
About the additional documents you can upload at the bottom of each page, I didn't really go crazy with it. I uploaded my highest-scoring and most relevant essay under the "thesis" heading in the Academic Background section. I actually debated about this because it's not a thesis. But a lot of personal work went into this essay so I eventually uploaded it. I also uploaded two other essays.
I also uploaded an article I had written for the school magazine about the one time I was accidentally locked in the library and spent the night there. I am aware that this is not relevant to the field, but I thought it would make the reviewing process a bit more fun for them. That went in the "Personal Background" section.
Although it is not made explicit, it is also important to upload the relevant language certificates (especially English) for all the languages you claim to speak, apart from your mother tongue (which is Thai, in my case - impossible to get an official certification for it).

Best of luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey all. I'm currently at PSIA, M1 in International Security with concentrations in Human Rights and Africa. I remember being in your position this time last year, and lots of friendly people on TSR helped me out. So shoot if you have any questions!

Just hope you are all prepared for a LOT OF WORK. It's intense (but good!) :smile:
Original post by Venus_In_Furs
Hey all. I'm currently at PSIA, M1 in International Security with concentrations in Human Rights and Africa. I remember being in your position this time last year, and lots of friendly people on TSR helped me out. So shoot if you have any questions!

Just hope you are all prepared for a LOT OF WORK. It's intense (but good!) :smile:

Hello,

I would first of all like to thank you for your kind offer. As a current and already admitted student of the PSIA, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your background.
I already submitted my application and am now waiting for their answer. I'm particularly afraid about three things.
First of all, in the personal statement section I didn't really make it clear how I was going to contribute to campus life, at least not in explicit terms. I do believe I answered all other questions clearly though. I was told by an alumnus that the Sciences Po people really make a point about how you're going to contribute to campus life. For that reason, I feel I've missed the boat..
Secondly, although I have been working for the Alliance Française Bangkok for almost a year now and was once invited to serve as an English-French interpreter at a conference on HIV/AIDS and grant making for 3 days, apart from the said work experience, I do not have any relevant work experience (I'm applying to the Human Rights programme). I do have decent grades (graduated with First Class Honours) and speak 3 languages fluently, and working towards the C1 level in German. But would this be enough?
Lastly, I applied back on November 23rd and the Admissions office still has not sent me the 'admissible' email. I emailed them asking when I would be getting the admissions result and they said mid-January at the latest. But wouldn't I first have to get the admissible email? All it says on my profile is that my "application is currently under review".

I seem to be jumping at the prospect of liaising with a current Sciences Po student, and am sorry if I give out any negative impressions.
In any case, bravo for making it to Sciences Po!
Hello,

Nice to hear from a fellow HR&HA applicant.
About the additional documents you can upload at the bottom of each page, I didn't really go crazy with it. I uploaded my highest-scoring and most relevant essay under the "thesis" heading in the Academic Background section. I actually debated about this because it's not a thesis. But a lot of personal work went into this essay so I eventually uploaded it. I also uploaded two other essays.
I also uploaded an article I had written for the school magazine about the one time I was accidentally locked in the library and spent the night there. I am aware that this is not relevant to the field, but I thought it would make the reviewing process a bit more fun for them. That went in the "Personal Background" section.
Although it is not made explicit, it is also important to upload the relevant language certificates (especially English) for all the languages you claim to speak, apart from your mother tongue (which is Thai, in my case - impossible to get an official certification for it).

Best of luck!

Thank you so much! I've just submitted my application. Fingers crossed for all of us. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending