The Student Room Group

2.2 prediction from good uni but with LOADS of work experience - which uni?

This is for chemistry PGCE. I looked at Oxford just for laughs but I'm quite surprised that they don't have any specific requirements. Should I carry on and keep dreaming?

What universities should I try aim for? Is University of Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Warwick achievable?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Southampton accept a 2:2 as well. I would suggest you contact some local schools, and try to get in some experience (try going for a good performing school, and a poorly performing school, to experience a range). Also research the course, as each university is different.

You should still be offered an interview with a 2:2, so you must show your dedication to teaching, and your subject. It helps if you have something booked for after the interview so you can say (In January 2016 to June 2016 I will be helping out as an LSA/teaching assistant in blah blah school. This will help build my confidence and so in.

So basically, don't be discouraged that a lot of institutes say 2:1, they need you! Just try to book relevant experience for this year, book your skills test (So that in the interview you can say it is booked), and just show your enthusiasm during an interview.
Reply 2
Original post by rede121
Southampton accept a 2:2 as well. I would suggest you contact some local schools, and try to get in some experience (try going for a good performing school, and a poorly performing school, to experience a range). Also research the course, as each university is different.

You should still be offered an interview with a 2:2, so you must show your dedication to teaching, and your subject. It helps if you have something booked for after the interview so you can say (In January 2016 to June 2016 I will be helping out as an LSA/teaching assistant in blah blah school. This will help build my confidence and so in.

So basically, don't be discouraged that a lot of institutes say 2:1, they need you! Just try to book relevant experience for this year, book your skills test (So that in the interview you can say it is booked), and just show your enthusiasm during an interview.

Just to clarify, do you mean I will be offered an interview with Oxford or any of the universities I mentioned?
Reply 3
Original post by Quirky!
Just to clarify, do you mean I will be offered an interview with Oxford or any of the universities I mentioned?

There is a high chance they will offer you an interview - I was a bit weary about Oxford, it wasn't in the top 50 in the league table, so I avoided it. But the other universities will consider you on a 2:2 as long as you have experience :smile:
The teacher shortage is getting worse at the moment as so many teachers are leaving at the moment (I know 7 leaving my school at Christmas this year and have heard there are more). So because no-one seems to have any intention of improving working conditions to retain teachers, they have to keep recruiting more and more.

So you should be in with a reasonably chance, especially in Chemistry (not in such high demand as Maths and Physics but higher than Biology).

Wherever you think you'd like to train, go for it. But don't base it primarily on the university's reputation as you won't even be there that much. It's more useful to train in an area you hope to work in as you can develop contacts in local schools. Also, the PGCE and NQT years are pretty tough so it's good to have a ready made support network aroun you by living somewhere you have friends/family.

Best of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by rede121
There is a high chance they will offer you an interview - I was a bit weary about Oxford, it wasn't in the top 50 in the league table, so I avoided it. But the other universities will consider you on a 2:2 as long as you have experience :smile:

I have two choices down and one of them has offered me a place already. I was planning on risking my third choice and never thought about Oxford as it'd be a complete waste of third choice if they don't do 2:2s (yeah I know Apply 2 exists but still). It might be good idea to gamble on Oxford if there is a remote chance of interview.

Original post by myrtille
The teacher shortage is getting worse at the moment as so many teachers are leaving at the moment (I know 7 leaving my school at Christmas this year and have heard there are more). So because no-one seems to have any intention of improving working conditions to retain teachers, they have to keep recruiting more and more.

So you should be in with a reasonably chance, especially in Chemistry (not in such high demand as Maths and Physics but higher than Biology).

Wherever you think you'd like to train, go for it. But don't base it primarily on the university's reputation as you won't even be there that much. It's more useful to train in an area you hope to work in as you can develop contacts in local schools. Also, the PGCE and NQT years are pretty tough so it's good to have a ready made support network aroun you by living somewhere you have friends/family.

Best of luck.

I was basing on uni's reputation quite heavily because I may leave if the teacher situation gets worse. Silly me for entering into the profession in times like this but I like to consider myself as a resilient person and willing to work for at least 5 years and see how it goes even before thinking about throwing a towel in. If I'm leaving, I need to have a good exit strategy - if I plan to work in chemistry field then a PGCE from Oxford looks better than everything else especially considering a possible 2:2 from original uni.

I do realise that it'd be better to have a support network around me. Definitely will consider this.
There's always SCITTS that offer PGCE/QTS as well - you aren't just limited to University.
Depends on subject, I'm on the 2:1/2:2 borderline with a masters, Oxford said I'd have no problem appliying and Cambridge said as long as I prove I can handle a postrgraduate course, I know of a student who got into Cambridge with a 2:2 last year and for my subject 20 people applied, 16 got offered places.
Reply 8
Original post by Findlay6
There's always SCITTS that offer PGCE/QTS as well - you aren't just limited to University.

Yeah, I know. I prefer going to University instead. All the SCITTS courses around here are run by rough schools.

Original post by TunaTunnel
Depends on subject, I'm on the 2:1/2:2 borderline with a masters, Oxford said I'd have no problem appliying and Cambridge said as long as I prove I can handle a postrgraduate course, I know of a student who got into Cambridge with a 2:2 last year and for my subject 20 people applied, 16 got offered places.

What about chemistry? I don't have masters though.

How do you know how many people applied and got places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simplysweet01
How do you know how many people applied and got places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who applied last year for physics.
Original post by Quirky!
Yeah, I know. I prefer going to University instead. All the SCITTS courses around here are run by rough schools.

What about chemistry? I don't have masters though.

Chemistry is on less demand and a masters is better then an UG degree as it shows ability to study at a masters/PG level. I dont think the uni makes much difference, I study at a ~top 5 for physics, doubt they'll consider much with that.
Reply 12
Thanks for replies. I applied Oxford about a week ago but I haven't heard anything since then, not even a "Thank you for applying" email.

Am I doing something wrong? It seems that I was supposed to apply for a specific college but I thought I had do that after the application?
Original post by Quirky!
Thanks for replies. I applied Oxford about a week ago but I haven't heard anything since then, not even a "Thank you for applying" email.

Am I doing something wrong? It seems that I was supposed to apply for a specific college but I thought I had do that after the application?

I didnt get a thank you but I've got an interview invite for the 16th.
Reply 14
I didnt get a thank you but I've got an interview invite for the 16th.

Thanks! Did you apply for a specific college?
Reply 15
Original post by Quirky!
Thanks! Did you apply for a specific college?

Hey :smile: Did you hear anything back? I'm also on a 2:2 and looking at applying for 2017 entry so any advice you could give me would be amaaaazingggg :smile:
Original post by anna__
Hey :smile: Did you hear anything back? I'm also on a 2:2 and looking at applying for 2017 entry so any advice you could give me would be amaaaazingggg :smile:

Offered Oxford, Cambridge, Durham on 2:2 prediction. Oxford/Durham want me to graduate i.e, with an ordinary degree. Cambridge said 2:2, although maybe a 3rd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending