The Student Room Group

Social anxiety and medical interview next week

I recently graduated from high school and have a medical interview in under a week. At this moment I think there is almost a zero chance of succeeding. Although I haven't been officially diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder, I believe that I've had it, or at least some other social disorder, since I was young. I used to always become mute around other people and until this day, I speak extremely softly to the point where so many people repeatedly ask me what I said or nod at the wrong times. I also feel so self-conscious and I hardly smile or laugh (I mainly smile close-mouthed which doesn't look very happy and don't even laugh that much with my friends. I have a very bony face, huge teeth and braces too so when I open my mouth I think I look monstrous, so that makes me more self-conscious). In social situations, especially involving large groups of people or just certain people who I feel more nervous around, I feel so nauseous and this year especially I've avoided them using study as an excuse. I struggle with thinking on the spot in front of other people. When I did two mock interviews, I didn't improve at all; I could hardly form coherent sentences, struggled especially to think while maintaining eye contact, resorted to closed body language and struggled to smile.

I am almost certain that 1 week is not enough for me to fix all these problems, however I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with this and/or could provide advice for me to improve. I've volunteered at several annual events for around 4 years and currently work in retail but I don't feel like this has helped either. I can smile and say "hi" and "have a good day" but I don't really carry conversations with my customers because I don't know what to say.

I don't want to write too much but I honestly do have such a great passion for human anatomy and pathology, something that has fascinated me from when I was eight years old. Although I don't fare well in social situations, I really do want to help people, often going out of my way, but I just automatically mask myself and my mind doesn't work properly.

I am sure that you are questioning my suitability to gain entrance into medicine, and I am too. However, I've decided that I'll still try my best and that I'll have to improve on these skills regardless of whether or not I succeed in interviews.

Thank you.
Reply 1
You didn't win the genetic lottery and you've got to live with that. Make the most of your life. Don't think of the interviewer as someone who's above you, just think of them as someone your own age. Don't know what else to say really.
Reply 2
Original post by roastedveges
I recently graduated from high school and have a medical interview in under a week. At this moment I think there is almost a zero chance of succeeding. Although I haven't been officially diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder, I believe that I've had it, or at least some other social disorder, since I was young. I used to always become mute around other people and until this day, I speak extremely softly to the point where so many people repeatedly ask me what I said or nod at the wrong times. I also feel so self-conscious and I hardly smile or laugh (I mainly smile close-mouthed which doesn't look very happy and don't even laugh that much with my friends. I have a very bony face, huge teeth and braces too so when I open my mouth I think I look monstrous, so that makes me more self-conscious). In social situations, especially involving large groups of people or just certain people who I feel more nervous around, I feel so nauseous and this year especially I've avoided them using study as an excuse. I struggle with thinking on the spot in front of other people. When I did two mock interviews, I didn't improve at all; I could hardly form coherent sentences, struggled especially to think while maintaining eye contact, resorted to closed body language and struggled to smile.

I am almost certain that 1 week is not enough for me to fix all these problems, however I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with this and/or could provide advice for me to improve. I've volunteered at several annual events for around 4 years and currently work in retail but I don't feel like this has helped either. I can smile and say "hi" and "have a good day" but I don't really carry conversations with my customers because I don't know what to say.

I don't want to write too much but I honestly do have such a great passion for human anatomy and pathology, something that has fascinated me from when I was eight years old. Although I don't fare well in social situations, I really do want to help people, often going out of my way, but I just automatically mask myself and my mind doesn't work properly.

I am sure that you are questioning my suitability to gain entrance into medicine, and I am too. However, I've decided that I'll still try my best and that I'll have to improve on these skills regardless of whether or not I succeed in interviews.

Thank you.

If you get into medicine, you will have to talk to people. Lots of people, staff and patients, all the time, some of whom may not want to talk to you, may be angry with you, may not understand you, will be sick or in pain. Depending on which medical school you go to, you may be talking to patients right from your first term, and even if you go to one with less early clinical contact, you will have to interact with your peer group, hall mates, in classes etc.

This might all sound daunting, and I don't want to put you off, but it's worth remembering. Of course, at med school you will learn communication skills and strategies, and they don't expect 18 year old Freshers to be able to handle it all right away, but there's only so much you can learn in class - the rest is done on the wards. If you do think you have social anxiety, it is in your interests to get it assessed and treated to help you manage situations like this. Think about going to see your GP to discuss it - if you do get in you don't want to be in a state of terror the whole time.

With the more immediate problem of the interview, do the best you can! Remember they are used to people being nervous, they won't think you are an idiot or hideous or whatever, they want to hear what you have to say. Try to speak as clearly as you can, make eye contact where possible - you don't need to do that all the time, it's ok to look away while thinking, take a pause before answering and then look them in the eye as you speak. And think about a worst-case scenario - if you screw it up and don't get in, you will never have to see those interviewers again, and they probably won't remember you, so you shouldn't be embarrassed about what they might be thinking.

I was a shy teen, though wouldn't say I had social anxiety, but was strongly introverted and quite awkward. I actually found formal interview-type settings less stressful than a party with my friends, for example, because the rules about conversation were much clearer and there was a purpose to everything they were asking me. I got offers from both the med schools I was interviewed by and am now a registrar. Still awkward in some social situations but have very few communication difficulties at work.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending