The Student Room Group

Could I get to Oxford?

I would like to study Biochemistry at uni and was looking at where would be a good place to apply in the future. There are many good options, but i had never considered Oxford as I didn't think I could make it. However, i feel like i stand a decent chance and need your opinion on whether I have enough to get in and what else i can do.

Gcse: 2a*s 7a's and 2 b's
currently doing as level, but in order to even apply I will need AAA at As so lets assume I achieve this.
Work experience:1 week in a care home, 1 week in a dental practice and 9 months in Oxford charity shop, also at the end of yr 12 we are offered another bout of work experience so i will aim to do a science/lab based placement.

I have done Bronze Dofe and will undertake silver as well
I to the gym around 4 times a week
Have a first aid training
Also, i attend chemistry, medicine and other science based conferences at various uni's in the UK as well.

Let me know what you think!
Oxford don't care about extra-curriculars or work experience except in the case of medicine.
Reply 2
No.
This sounds cheesy but if you work hard, you may be in with a shot- I don't think you can really know until you get your AS grades (the most important part)- wouldn't ask other people- just go for it!!
I don't think going to the gym or working in a charity shop will increase your chances much actually. The interviewers focus heavily on academia and academic interest
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by niujinforever
I don't think going to the gym or working in a charity shop will increase your chances much actually. The interviewers focus heavily on academia and academic interest

Nah I heard the secret of getting into oxford is to have mad gains! They will ask you your best sets & reps etc.
Reply 6
Original post by BritishBean
Nah I heard the secret of getting into oxford is to have mad gains! They will ask you your best sets & reps etc.

I heard one guy did 50 pull ups at interview and was accepted on the spot smh
Reply 7
Original post by DanieleZ
I heard one guy did 50 pull ups at interview and was accepted on the spot smh

i laughed for 5 minutes straight :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well played hahaha :lol::lol::lol:
Original post by Amirh
I would like to study Biochemistry at uni and was looking at where would be a good place to apply in the future. There are many good options, but i had never considered Oxford as I didn't think I could make it. However, i feel like i stand a decent chance and need your opinion on whether I have enough to get in and what else i can do.

Gcse: 2a*s 7a's and 2 b's
currently doing as level, but in order to even apply I will need AAA at As so lets assume I achieve this.
Work experience:1 week in a care home, 1 week in a dental practice and 9 months in Oxford charity shop, also at the end of yr 12 we are offered another bout of work experience so i will aim to do a science/lab based placement.

I have done Bronze Dofe and will undertake silver as well
I to the gym around 4 times a week
Have a first aid training
Also, i attend chemistry, medicine and other science based conferences at various uni's in the UK as well.

Let me know what you think!

Seemingly fair chance. It would be good if one of those As becomes an A*. Best thing is to give it your best shot. you'll never know.
My friend walked into the interview room with bulging muscles and the interviewer said "see you at oxford" wtf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending