The Student Room Group

Part-Time Jobs

Poll

Do you have a part-time job?

Simple Poll...with bits added on.

Do you have a part-time job? It's has more than likely been done before but cannot see it.

Those of you who do

Why? - Need the money? Like extra spending money?
How Many Hours?
Where?
Do you get/did you get EMA?

Those of you who don't

Why? - Parents money? EMA?

I work at McDonalds. 30-40 hours a week. I need this money for my gap year. My parents can't afford to give me any, but earn enough so I don't get EMA. (Just a note McDonalds is a fanastic job - not as bad as people think...and how many part-time jobs give you that many hours if you want them...and you can start at 6am or finish at 2am. It's great.)

To everyone?

When applying to uni, do you think having a part-time job is beneficial.

It's a double edged sword I think. If you have the same grades as someone else, but you work, it makes you look better. However if your work makes your grades suffer, then obviously not.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't. I get £30 a week EMA and my dad pays for my bus pass & anything 'important' or big like that. I do the odd freelance bit of design work, and type for my mom, too. I kinda need one sometimes, but I can't be bothered & I love my social life too much, really. :P I suppose I'll have to try and look for something during the summer, to keep me going and save up a bit for uni, but not looking forward to that, haha.
Reply 2
Do you have a part-time job? Yes

Why? - I need the money for my own extra expenses and to save up for uni.
How Many Hours? currently only 9 hours a week
Where? My local hospital shop
Do you get/did you get EMA? I received EMA in lower sixth but was not eligable for Upper Sixth (my last year at school)

To everyone?

Through a part-time job you develop many skills that may be useful when applying for uni. However if a person is working that many hours that it is making their grades suffer then they should not continue their job.
Reply 3
Work isn't as bad as you think so I wouldn't worry. I don't really mind my job.

Also, it can improve your social life, especially if you work somewhere with a lot of staff. I think everytime I go out now anywhere, 9/10 times it is with someone I met at work.
Yeay I work!!

Why?
Like having money to spend, flexibilty, tbh, espically if i need to go out or buy something!

How Many Hours?

Where?
Local supermarket

Nope, unfortunately!
Do you have a part-time job? Yes

Why? - It's fun, it's money and I get a discount!
How Many Hours? 8, sometimes more.
Where? Shop
Do you get/did you get EMA? Yeah I hardly ever get it though, don't seem able to go to every lesson... :frown:

When applying to uni, do you think having a part-time job is beneficial?
Not particularly, I find work totally different to studying. And it's not like people who have jobs are more likely to get into uni either.
Reply 6
Why?
I need the money to send myself to school basically, if I don't work, I can't afford the train lol
How Many Hours?
12-18 a week
Where?
William Hill
No
Why? I dont really need the money but its quite good fun, and getting paid is always nice
How Many Hours? Well about 15 pw during term time, abt 70 pw in holidays lol
Where? TP
Do you get/did you get EMA? Nope
When applying to uni, do you think having a part-time job is beneficial? I'd say it looks better after uni, applying for jobs, a bit of 'commercial experience'
Reply 8
I don't have a job now I'm at uni, but I did when I was at school. I did 16 hours a week, 430-8 two evenings and one day at the weekend. I loved having a job, and I really hate not having one now. I didn't get EMA because it didnt exist at the time! (Wish it did though, I'd have had an extra thirty quid a week, which, in all honesty, is obscene)
Where, When, What? I have a few jobs actually.. I tutor for 4 hours a week (4 different people) and also work as a chocolate fountain operator about once every fortnight for around 10 hours straight. :redface: great money though.. I also babysit quite regularly.

Why? Well, why not? :biggrin: My parents don't give me money but even when they were giving me a small amount of pocket money in my early teens I still had little jobs babysitting and things.. it seemed the obvious thing to do.

Uniness Hmm.. I think it does show some commitment and working has provided me with a lot of responsibility. I don't know if it would necessarily give you a great advantage over someone who hadn't worked. Unless it was something like applying for history and worked in a museum since you were 13 when it might be quite impressive and give you that extra edge or whatever :biggrin:
Reply 10
Those of you who do

Why? - Need the money for living on etc
How Many Hours? 12
Where? Sainburys, customer service desk
Do you get/did you get EMA? I got a little in my lower sixth, none in my upper sixth year

To everyone?

I don't think the university could care less, so long as it isn't affecting your grades.
Those of you who do

Why? - I put most of my EMA in a savings account for Uni. My job pays for lunch at college and any extras.
How Many Hours? 4.5/week every week, extra hours if someone is away.
Where? Stars News
Do you get/did you get EMA? Yes. £30

When applying to uni, do you think having a part-time job is beneficial? Yes
Why?: For experience in "the working world" and extra money

How many hours?: 16 hours fortnightly

Where: Cabinet War Rooms

Did you get EMA?: £10 a week last year and the same this year
Reply 13
I've applied to McDonalds and they seem to be taking their time. Nick R, how long did you wait before you got the job?
Reply 14
Do you have a part-time job?
I do, but only work now when I'm home from uni in the holidays...

Why?
I need the money, as I don't get money from my parents and don't want to get in the situation where I'll have to ask them to go out of their way to give me some...would also be nice to get out of my overdraft sometime!

How Many Hours?
I'm usually contracted 15 hours, but when I work I usually do more like 30

Where?
Local convenience store on the high street

No

To everyone?
It depends...on the course, the job, the person...some courses almost require work experience in that field, whilst most don't tend to matter...in general, then as long as it wouldn't affect your grades then having a job would be beneficial in giving you experience, some responsibility etc as mentioned above. As well as money, which is always going to be useful if you can save some fo uni, and it can also be enjoyable!
Killer7
I've applied to McDonalds and they seem to be taking their time. Nick R, how long did you wait before you got the job?

I was invited for interview the day after handing my application form and was given the job on the spot.

Those of you who do

Why? - Need the money? Like extra spending money?

Need the money, but only need in the sense that I wouldn't be able to live the life I do without it. I wouldn't be able to afford gigs/festivals/driving lessons.

How Many Hours?

16-18 a week (has been both more and less; I decide, really)

Where?

McDonald's also. The joy of flexibility.

Yes, full £30

To everyone?

not sure, I'm only in lower sixth so haven't applied yet.
Reply 16
Those of you who do

Why? -
Need the money to pay for travel to college, clothes, social life, college stuff etc Basically i need it to live on. Also to save for uni...otherwise i wouldn't be able to afford to go.

How Many Hours?

Where?
Tesco

Yes I got 20 pound last year and 10 pound this year....although it all goes into my savings for uni or goes towards my travel costs for college.

To everyone?

No not at all unless it's related to the course you apply for. I don't think admissions tutors really care. Although it's good not to have an empty employment section on ucas.
Reply 17
I have a part time job

Why? can use the money. nice not having to run to mum and dad and beg for money!

How Many Hours? on a saturday usually, from 10.30 til about 4/4.30 depending. also can get holiday work. 11 til about 4.30/5

Where? bout 5 mins away from where i live. is just a little cafe.

Do you get/did you get EMA? ...i dont know what that is...dense!
Those of you who don't

Why?
Well Im looking for one at the minute, but most of the jobs advertised locally are as barmaids and things like that- Ive done it before and I dont want to do it again.
Also many have said to me they want permenant staff not someone whos just out to make some money for the summer :s-smilie:

I get EMA, but its not nearly enough to be able to afford my course, so my parents help me out alot.

To everyone?

If it is relevant to the course you are applying to then definatly, and it would look good on your personal statement.
In terms of money, if you are going to be saving some of your wages to put towards uni then also yes its beneficial.
If you arnt saving any money and the work isnt relevant to your course then its not necessarily beneficial for uni, but it may be beneficial in terms of the skills you learn, the friends you make, or what it enables you to do- Ie buy materials for your current course of study.
louisedotcom

I get EMA, but its not nearly enough to be able to afford my course, so my parents help me out alot.

Without wishing to pick on you is the whole point of ema not that your parents cant afford to help you out? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending